Tindersticks Simple Pleasure 180g (Limited-Expanded-Edition)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by timnor, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timnor

timnor Forum Resident Thread Starter

mishima's dog likes this.
  2. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

I really like this album, especially the "Can We Start Again?" opener, and the brilliant R&B flavored "CF GF" closer that's reminiscent of Scott Walker and the Righteous Brothers, maybe not their best record overall, I'd probably go with either number one or two for that, but definitely high up on my long list of Tindersticks favorites. Never picked up the vinyl, didn't get much distribution in the States, but still love it in any format.

Neonbeam likes this.
  3. timnor

My copy has been shipped.

4. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Picked up a copy at my local record store. Spinning it now, sounds good! Haven't a/b-ed it with the cd or anything. But nice, warm sound with a solid bass. Quiet pressing, too.

Davey likes this.
  5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The original vinyl was released exclusively by Simply Vinyl as limited edition. Making this and "Curtains" the most tricky Tindersticks albums to obtain on vinyl.

6. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Oh yea, I remember that now, I passed because it was too expensive in my neighborhood. Little did I know at the time it would one day be worth hundreds of dollars!

7. timnor

Well, well this is a lovely package. Thick gatefold cover, heavy flat vinyl and to my ears sounds great.

8. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

The second LP crams a lot of music, how is the SQ of that?

9. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

This is why I love this forum. I would never have known about this otherwise. Hope Curtains is next.

timnor likes this.
  10. andres lira

I already wrote to MOV begging them to do Curtains next.

11. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

I’m surprised we got this before ‘Curtains’ but not complaining.

My copy arrived yesterday, have only had time to listen to the album itself, which sounds very good to me. Only have the original CD for comparison but not a/b-ed. Pressing is quiet and flat, though needed a clean.

Spotted a comment on Discogs suggesting this reissue sounds better than the original LP. Take that as you will.

12. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I bought everything up to Simple Pleasure on original vinyl, and they all sound amazing. Curtains sounds particularly gorgeous as it's on two 45rpm records.

hamicle likes this.
  13. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

Can only hope the original plates are still out there for a ‘Curtains’ reissue!

Phil Tate likes this.
  14. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I'm not biting on this yet as I've got an OG LP, but am also curious to know how the bonus disc sounds. I always thought it was the weakest of the original bonus discs when the CD reissues came out, but could be tempted if there's positive noises about the quality of the bonus vinyl.

15. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

I’ll likely listen to it tonight but I don’t have the bonus material on CD for comparison - I’d passed that over in the past as it’s mostly demos but the sleeve notes (same as the deluxe CD) have piqued my curiosity about them.

16. Neonbeam

I wouldn't hold my breath. No single Tindersticks reissue came from original plates.

17. Neonbeam

Why did you stop there? I think all Tindersticks albums are worth having on 12" plastic. That said.... to this day I haven't made it through my soundtrack box:whistle:

18. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

My understanding was that sometimes MOV have access to original/historic parts if they are still in possession of them at the plant, but this clearly isn’t always going to be the case.

19. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

part timer ;)

Neonbeam likes this.
  20. andres lira

Buy it. Granted, its not cheap but if this sells well that might convince MOV to do other titles. There was a five year gap between this one and their reissue of Tindersticks II.

21. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I just generally stopped buying new vinyl around that time. I bought that Donkeys compilation on vinyl and wasn't impressed - lots of distortion and sibilance, and pressed off-centre.

22. andres lira

I don´t want to turn this into something like the ''MVB post office notification thread'' but it was a nice surprise to receive my copy today. That was super fast. I won´t have time till later to spin it but it looks gorgeous. A special mention to the liner notes from the keyboard player which are as miserable as you would expect from a guy playing in this band. They made me chuckle a little bit. Basically he said that after Curtains they were very unhappy, that SP was a struggle to record and that he had a lousy time touring it.

hamicle and whisper3978 like this.
  23. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

Given that the liner notes have been available with the CD since 2004 it shouldn’t be too much of a spoiler to say I was surprised that the band “ended” for a period between the Island and Beggars Banquet deals - I’d always just thought the issue was in the gap before ‘The Hungry Saw’ and the line up change.

24. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

Just finished giving the second LP a listen, as @andres lira says there's quite a bit of music on there; adding up the track times on the centre labels gives side lengths of 24:37 and 27:54 respectively.

To me it sounds pretty good. The pressing is free of surface noise. I think it helps that a lot of the tracks are studio demos and the arrangements are not heavily orchestrated or layered, the grooves can stand being closer together but the bass remains reasonably clear and prominent.

As for whether I'd recommend? I'm happy with it as I only have the original CD and don't have the bonus material, outside of what I have on the "Can We Start Again?" single. For someone with an OG vinyl (and I'm assuming happy with it) and the bonus material on CD then it's probably not necessary. Just my opinion though!

25. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Where did you get your copy from? Amazon price has shot up from around £27 to £36, I was expecting it to come down but it’s going the opposite way

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.