"Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" (2011 film)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SBurke, Jan 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I was expecting slow and suchlike but it just seemed to be skimming along.

I could feel a lot was 'missing' even though I haven't read the book.

I'll report back after I've watched the BBC version.

2. I don't think you'll be disappointed by the BBC versions.

Both TTSS and Smiley's People are masterpieces of BBC Drama.

Best Wishes
    David

3. andythiing

andythiing Forum Resident

I enjoyed it a lot

4. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

These scenes were just to give context to the relationships within the group.
    I mean how would we know John Hurts character was neurotic if it wasn't for the Christmas party scenes. Also they allow le Carré to have a cameo himself.
    I love the "La Mer" song at the end. I suppose it helped that Julio Iglesias' son was musical director.

5. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I agree that on casual viewing the movie feels like it's skimming the surface, but everything that's important is there. The condensed aspect means you have to pay much more attenion than the longer BBC version--which already requires more than average attention to keep everything straight. For example, it's what happens a couple of beats before Oldman makes the connection that is the key. Oldman is masterful. The whole point is that he's supposed to be non-descript. It's what's revealed in those moments when something breaks through his carefully constructed facade, and how he portrays it, that leads to the magic. And Benedict Cumberbatch continues to amaze me. It took me a bit to connect him with Sherlock. Someone might not like the seeming lack of exposition and slow, recessed pace, but the filmmakers took a pathway in this film and stuck to it, and it's a great example of how subtle filmmaking can be rewarded by repeated viewings that richen the experience and deepen your appreciation.

John K.

6. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

jusst started the Mini series ,I really like the direction of the feature film
    which I thought was better than "the Artist"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.