Tips on the best sweat-proof headphones for workouts

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Wipin Dsser, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wipin Dsser

Wipin Dsser Active Member Thread Starter

I workout in the gym five days a week, always listening to my music. That's what keeps me going, my power juice, especially on the treadmill. I just can't run more than 10 minutes without music. But the problem is that i sweat too much, and because of that i've already lost two headphones, a Klipsch and a Sony, both damaged by sweat. So now i'm looking for an in-ear, noise-isolating headphone that is also sweat-proof. Does anyone have any suggestions?

This brand "http://yurbuds.com/" seems to focus on that, but by the reviews that i read, their headphones do not isolate the noise very well, since they are designed for people who run in the streets, dealing with cars and all kind of dangers, and they also do not have much bass, and for me this is essential. I want to isolate the noise as much as possible, and i also want an enhanced bass, just like the Sennheiser headphones, and most important of all, needs to be sweat-proof.

Any help guys?

That's all for today. Take care.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Earbuds. I think headphones are insane for workouts. And there are earbuds that isolate most of the sound, even in loud gyms. I've used Shure and Etymotics, and they both sound fine. It's a wise idea to test them before you buy them.

3. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I love my Etymotic 6is but I would not describe their bass as enhanced (as per the request of the OP). I don't know about their other models.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Bass is in the mind (or the ear) of the beholder. The precise fit of the earbuds will greatly affect bass response, but I was only talking about isolating the listener from the outside world in a non-sweaty way. I don't look for maximum fidelity when I'm bench-pressing 225. (10 reps, no cheating.)

5. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

6. rainspainplain

rainspainplain Forum Resident

I have the Sennheiser OCX 685i headphones.

They're supposed to be water-resistant but some Amazon reviewers have had problems. I've not had any problems but I don't sweat that much.

I think they sound great and isolate the perfect amount for me. When I use them I'm not completely oblivious and I can only hear loud TVs when the music I'm listening to is very quiet. I wish I could find headphones that I could run with and not hear the cables bouncing.

Here is a link to the site that convinced me to buy my headphones. The page has been updated and they have a new pick for The Best Exercise Headphones.
    http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-exercise-headphones/

7. Wipin Dsser

I heard Etymotics is one of the best for noise-isolating, but are they sweat-proof, water etc.? Cause i had a pretty good Klipsch earbud, but as i said, they stop working because of the sweat. I'm not going to use my favorite Sennheiser on the gym (or any other earbud) just to see the same thing happen for the third time.

8. Wipin Dsser

That's what i'm talking about guys: http://www.x-1.com/

I need to read some reviews though, before buying.

9. john greenwood

Unless your ear canals perspire, I cannot see how Etymotics would be affected by sweat. Mind you, at home I have used a pair of Sennheiser 580's while on my Nordic Track twice a week for a decade. I've had to replace the pads, but I have had no problem with the headphones.

10. Wipin Dsser

Well, if that happened to the other earbuds, why wouldn't happen with regular Etymotics as well? When i'm running on the treadmill (for more than an hour), the sweat comes from the head and drips heavily on the earbuds. That's why sweat-proof is my only option.

I'm thinking about this Sennheiser: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX380-Isolating-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B001GSX7R8

Don't know why was discontinued though...

11. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I avoided ear buds for the longest time. The extent of my 'workout' was some long distance running and for that I used my Iron Fist Motorheadphones... very comfortable, not necessarily sweatproof, but never damaged by the sweat.
    Anyway... cut to the now, I've been out of action and trying to get my back into some running so I was on the look out for some headphones (my 7 yr old daughter has pilfered my Motorheadphones for use with her Kindle Fire) and I came across these while doing some research and was blown away by the sound given the cost and the fact that they are earbuds,,,
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007BY3OU6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Vidiot likes this.
  12. Wipin Dsser

Yes, they're very good (considering the price), but can you guess what happened to them? The left one stoped working, damaged by the sweat. I mean, i'm not a freak of nature who sweats more than normal, but if you run a marathon on your treadmill, things gonna get wet...

13. john greenwood

The Etymotics are inserted into your ear canal, deeper than earbuds like the Sennheisers. There's much less exposure. That's not to say they can't be damaged. And I do have to replace the filters every so often.

Edit - the real question about using Etymotics while exercising is whether newer models have tamed the cable microphonics.

I don't care for the Sennheiser earbuds I've tried (the cx 300 and 400). Too much bass, recessed mids.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    Vidiot likes this.
  14. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

If bass is important I would avoid Etymotic. I've tried the 6i and hf5 and found both models to be bass-shy.

15. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

Avoid Sony - went through a pair every 2-3 months. No real warranty - even wrote paper letter to Sony President - no reply. My Sennheisers are now two years old and still work well.

16. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

17. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

18. Wipin Dsser

19. davechen

davechen Forum Resident

drahffir likes this.
  20. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Good for me. On the road, I can hear traffic, but I don't blast them too loud. On the trail, I keep one out to hear "on your left"

21. danner

danner Forum Resident

I use the cheapest headphones possible when working out. I don't require audiophile quality when I'm running outside, and sound isolation is a terrible idea if you're running anywhere near cars. For $10, these sound decent enough and stay in my ears.

[​IMG]

22. Wipin Dsser

23. Wipin Dsser

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think you have to look upon earbuds for workouts as an expendable. Buy some reasonably cheap ones, maybe $50, and toss them every couple of years. No earphone or earbud was meant to withstand this much stress and strain that you go thorough during a workout.

25. Wipin Dsser

The problem is that they're lasting months, not years. They only get wet, nothing more than that, no stress, strain etc. This sweat-proof ones should work, so i'm going with the Sennheiser CX 685 Sport.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.