"Titanic" To Be Re-Released...in 3-D!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mark, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Campion

Robert Campion New Member

Terrible movie.

2. One that made $1 billion in theaters and tied "Ben-Hur" for the most Academy Awards with 11!!!:winkgrin:

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think there are good and bad aspects of Titanic: cardboard characters, predictable plot, hokey dialog. But it's also got a lot of charm and style, and I think the emotion of the story is pretty entertaining. I think it's a movie you can enjoy just for sheer filmmaking spectacle, even if some aspects of the storytelling are flawed. And it's extraordinarily well-edited and photographed. Roger Ebert's 1997 review gets it right, to me.

What made the film work to me is the framing device of starting the film in the present, then telling the backstory as a long flashback, returning to the present, then going back again, showing the disaster, and then coming back to the present and answering the question of "where's the McGuffin" (the missing emerald). I thought the added motif of the ghosts and the sunken ship magically reappearing at the very end was very moving. And I believed the romance 100%.

I had to watch the film more than 20 times, doing audio laybacks on all kinds of foreign versions (French, Spanish, German, etc.) for worldwide release by Fox, and you know... I never tired of watching it. Didn't love the film, but there were moments that I said, "damn, that looks great."

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

well that doesn't change the fact that it still sucked?!:agree:

5. BrianH

BrianH Formerly healyb

James Cameron is a technical genius and he used to be my hands-down favorite director, but with Avatar, holy crap what a waste.

The guy who made T2, Aliens, and True Lies among other movies made that.
    Very disappointing.

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I guess you guys were disappointed that the boat crashed.

7. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Sheesh - it's not even released yet and you're giving away the ending?

8. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Oh no....

9. Michael

10. Gappleton

Gappleton Forum Resident

There's another side of the Titanic saga few people are aware of.........

"Supposing you'd watched the slow accretion of snow over thousands of years as it was
    compressed and pushed over the deep rock until the glacier calved its icebergs into the sea,
    and you watched an iceberg drift out through the chilly waters, and you got to know its cargo
    of happy polar bears and seals as they looked forward to a brave new life in the other
    hemisphere where they say the ice floes are lined with crunchy penguins, and then wham!
    Tragedy loomed in the shape of thousands of tons of unaccountably floating iron and an
    exciting sound track ...!

Thief of Time - Terry Pratchett

Gordon

11. billdcat

billdcat Well-Known Member

Damn ! Now you ruined the movie for me !

12. Michael

I don't know what you guys are referring to, but I'm referring to AVATART...:laugh:

13. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

This is a pretty common Hollywood framing device: just saw it used yet again in Water for Elephants - also saw a variation of it in last year's True Grit remake, etc.

14. billdcat

billdcat Well-Known Member

Was this in common use before "Citizen Kane" ?

15. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

I seem to recall James Cameron lambasting movies shot in 2D being upgraded to 3D because it wasn't real enough or something along those lines...

16. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

While I abhor revisionism, if I was James Cameron the first thing I'd do is fix the moment in the last stage of the sinking when someone falls vertically down the poop deck only to bounce gently of a large foam capstan that is supposed to be made of cast-steel...

I love the film - but I'm interested in anything related to RMS Titanic. The attention to detail is absolutely mind-blowing - I doubt another film has ever been so painstakingly researched (even Apollo 13 doesn't go as far as Titanic for accuracy).

I can't imagine 3-D processing of a film shot single-lens working too well but I'll be there to see it on the big screen anyway :agree:

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, I think even Cameron has commented that this bothered him. It goes by quick.

It is a beautiful film, and I think it deserved the Oscars for art direction and costumes. I think Cameron and his crew based a lot of the details on the Titanic's sister ship, the Olympic.

I bad-mouthed the film a lot when it was in production, thinking, "how could this be any good? We know everybody dies at the end. It's a downer movie. Plus it's a costume drama that took place almost 100 years ago. How can this possibly work with a modern audience? It'll be a bomb for sure."

I was pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong. The movie has some flaws, but as mass-market entertainment, I think it works very well. And at least it adds the little detail about the number of lower-class passengers who died, whose story was only glossed-over in all the previous Titanic movies.

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

So has anyone else here seen this yet?

Want to go - debating whether or not to spend extra for Regal's "RPX" showing...

19. I just returned from seeing Titanic 3D tonight. If anything, the reconfigured presentation proves to me that 3D reissues of original 2D movies, when executed as brilliantly as what James Cameron has done here, do enhance the viewing experience.:edthumbs:
    I'll be buying the 3D blu-ray of this movie when it's available later this year!!!:cheers:

20. LeeVing

LeeVing Hyperactive!

Now that I have a 3D TV and player, I think my wife will make me buy this for her. I've only seen it once all the way through. And that was with Rifftrax.

21. Mark Nelson

Mark Nelson Forum Resident

Yeah, the 3D was well done and did what it should do, which is serve to pull you more into the story, the visual equivalent of surround sound.

As an added "bonus" the theater I saw this in was freezing cold, so those last scenes of the sinking at night had an additional "you are there" effect!

22. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

Has anyone else seen the connection between Cameron's Titanic, the Ghost & Mrs Muir and Wagner's The Flying Dutchman?
    I have seen Titanic - once - in the theatre on its first release, and that alone will do me for the rest of my life. I remembered going to a late night -without interval - showing. And I was getting testy for a cigarette. I was getting completely bored. Then the ship hit the iceberg. My reaction "Hooray! Get the thing over and done with. I want out of here" I then, had to put up with the rest of it - including Di Caprio's silly drawn out 'miraculous long survival' in the freezing waters. I was mindful also, that still I had to survive : to drive home , and during those times -be at work at 5am.

23. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

The costumes and ...especially that big picture hat on Kate Wislet in one scene made me react and think " Cecil Beaton happens to be already dead, ....who perhaps got hold of costumes /or copy designs from maybe Gigi and My Fair Lady?" Remembering : the alleged plagarism and later quoted-quiet subsequent settlement' regarding the matter of story idea creation for liquid humans; that went on , over the making of Terminator 2.

24. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Want to see this in 3D

25. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I have to take my wife, she loves this movie and I love her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.