"Titanic" To Be Re-Released...in 3-D!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mark, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

2. The visuals have been painstakingly converted to 3D, while the plot and characterizations remain in their original one dimension. ;-)

3. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Hated this movie - I prefer A Night to Remember by a wide margin.

James Cameron takes one of the few events in modern history that approaches the heights of a biblical tragedy, and reduces it to a trite tale of evil rich people and working class saints, who just happen to find themselves on a sinking ship. An complete insult to the memories of all those who died that night, IMHO.

As for insults, did Cameron delete the scene where Officer Murdoch kills himself on deck? It didn't happen, and the Murdoch family demanded (and rightfully got) an apology from Cameron. If that scene isn't removed, then I've lost what little respect I had left for Cameron.

4. Approaching a biblical tragedy? Not even close imo. I think Cameron's focus on the class distinctions was wise and historically accurate. I remember reading a contemporary newspaper account of the tragedy that indicated pretty clearly what little regard was given to the third class passesengers -particularly if they were from Southern Europe.

As for Murdoch's suicide -I put this down to poetic license and don't believe Cameron needed to apologize to anyone for that. The fact that he did is all well and good, but I am very happy to see that he did not remove the scene from the 3-D version.

5. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Poetic license? To impugn the good name of a man who was seen helping passengers to the very end, by instead showing him considering taking a bribe, then later killing two men in cold blood, and then killing himself? How would you have liked that sort of "poetic license" if he had been your grandfather?

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

7. Ha ha. As long as the car scene is in 3D . . . good enough.

8. I would like to think I would recognized the movie as the piece of fiction that it is and not get in a twist about a scene that was never presented as a true historical event.

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Right, I agree with you but I think it's distracting because Cameron worked so hard to get the details of the ship's exterior/interior and sinking (IE: how it sank) historically and factually accurate.

10. That is true...he did blend history with fiction quite a bit, and for some the line could get blurred, but I still think he had no need to apologize for this approach -nor edit the scene that the Mordoch family finds offensive.

11. In related news, Walmart.com is accepting pre-orders for this movie in both 3D & 2D...the release date is September 14th, 2012 for the upcoming blu-ray!!!:wave:
    I've already opened a separate discussion thread for this development!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.