To Clean or Not to Clean (New Vinyl)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Denti, Sep 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denti

Denti Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have been told to clean all vinyl, including new. In fact, I have heard that cleaning new vinyl is in many ways more important than cleaning used, because of the factory gunk in the grooves.

But with the new Bowie box I cannot go through the time, trouble, and expensive fluid to clean every LP before listening. I want to be sure I don't have any bad pressings before cleaning, so I'm listening to them. And guess what? They sound amazing! So, why have I been cleaning my new records? These look and sound perfect, and there's nothing left behind on my needle.

What gives?

2. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I only clean vinyl if it's dirty.

I own a RCM, but I resist the urge to get all OCD and overclean everything. Relax and enjoy the Bowie set.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2015
    AH55, Shak Cohen, Pancat and 9 others like this.
  3. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Clean it, there is mold release compound on those discs.

Grootna, Thing Fish and thesisinbold like this.
  4. Denti

Which is bad for ... ?

5. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

That sounds scary. Any links about this phenomenon you could hip us to?

6. Faders Up

Faders Up Forum Resident

I find a dry brushing is usually all that's needed. If I'm getting excessive dust or something looks lodged in the grooves, then I'd probably opt to vacuum.

7. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

It's not the kind of "mold" that grows.
    It's a "mold release" meaning a chemical that releases the vinyl pressing from the stamper.
    You shouldn't have a problem with it on most records.
    But every record is different.

If your Bowie records and stylus look and sound fine, just keep the dust off and don't worry about it.
    Until you want better sound. Then clean 'em.

Bolero and Dino like this.
  8. Denti

What WOULD the effect be if this chemical were present?

9. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Which is a foreign substance on the disc, now in your disc (driven in by the pressure and heat produced by the stylus) and now on your stylus. If you think record cleaning fluid is expensive then you shouldn't be buying LPs. Record cleaning fluid is cheap compared to the records you use it on.

http://www.discogs.com/group/thread/671397

Dino likes this.
  10. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

The chemical is always present.
    It should be just fine the way it is.
    Removing it will give you clearer sound.
    How much clearer depends on your equipment.

11. Denti

So it's a foreign substance. Not so foreign if it's on every record, but still. So what? What problems does it cause? You still haven't answered my question.

12. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

I bought a bunch of new RCA Living Stereo LP's from the guy in Kansas and they sounded awful (pops-clicks-etc) until I cleaned 'em. After that, they sounded absolutely pristine.

13. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I clean all new records first before I play them, much in the same way I wash a new coffee mug before drinking out of it.

Probably, most of the time it's not "absolutely" necessary in either situation. But modern conveniences like dishwashers and record cleaning machines make it so easy :).

14. Denti

Depends on what kind of machine you have. My VPI 16.5 is great and all, but it's still a 15-20 minute ordeal to clean a record properly.

15. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I wouldn't use the VPI either. Maybe just a quick wipe down with a damp cloth.

Hawklord likes this.
  16. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

15-20 minute ordeal?

I have a VPI and I just cleaned three used records in no more than five minutes. At this point they are plenty clean to play. Listening right now...

Now, for really dirty records I might spend ten minutes on a record, or if using a two step process with multiple fluids. But that's only for special records.

Grootna, Dino, Chip Z and 4 others like this.
  17. Charles F

Charles F Active Member

I agree
    If it takes someone 15 to 20 minutes to clean a record with a 16.5 then something is definitely wrong
    2 or 3 minutes tops to do each side once
    The mold release compound that everyone is so worried about is an integral part of the vinyl lump itself, it's not some separate topical chemical like Pam cooking spray or flouring a cake pan, or the wax used to prep a mold for fiberglass parts.
    The best argument for cleaning new vinyl is to remove all the tiny bits that do occur and cling to the playing surface of new records as a result of the manufacturing process, from multiple discs being stamped one after another (they don't clean the stampers between every pressing) and just the normal debris following the step one of loading the press to sticking the finished disc into a paper sleeve.
    Even in a premier facility it's still filthy when compared to a clean room for making silicon chips and the like, where everything is cleaned with acetone between steps.
    I always clean new records.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  18. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

I am pretty crazy about record cleanliness and I often skip cleaning new vinyl. It is partially because my RCM is inconvenient to my record player and partly because I buy and play records for fun so anything that takes away from the fun of buying a new record and going for it gets skipped.

That said, if a new record is noisy or obviously dirty then boom straight to the to be cleaned pile.

Pancat, Rolltide and Drewan77 like this.
  19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I only have a Spin Clean and after cleaning new records there is black dust on the bottom of the tank. I assume it is vinyl dust that was from the manufacturing process. I can't imagine how leaving that on the record could be an improvement.

That being said, it isn't far from being a critical step in vinyl playback.

LMonaco and SandAndGlass like this.
  20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

New vinyl is always dirty...clean it. Your stylus will thank you.

Bolero and Dennis0675 like this.
  21. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I clean everything. I have bought a lot of new vinyl that is dirty.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  22. Denti

Put cleaning fluid on = 30 seconds to make sure it's fully in the grooves
    Let sit 4 minutes to do it's work (I use Audio Intelligent solution, which requires at least 3 minutes to sit)
    30 seconds to jostle the fluid in the grooves after it has sat.
    Rinse cycle #1: 1 minute or so
    Rinse cycle #2: 1 minute or so
    About 7-8 minutes per side x2 = 15-16 minutes, but sometimes it takes a minute or two to wipe off extraneous dirt before starting.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  23. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Clean new vinyl, check, always. Vinyl 101. Obviously you don't have to, that's always up to the individual.

24. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

Also I find cleaning a new record gets rid of the static. All my old records cleaned and in anti static sleeves are no problem. My new iron maiden book of souls has that crackly sound as I get it out of the sleeve. Need to clean it.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  25. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Dry brush only.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.