To crossover or not

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Thorensman, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

Hmm, I guess it was overdriven.

When it suddenly happened, it was pretty loud and lots of air coming out of the front port. But the other speaker works just fine at the same tone and volume. The amount of air coming out (suddenly) was almost double the good speaker. Switching wire and amp side did not help. Always that particular speaker would suddenly increase loudness (almost double the air coming out of port) during bass test.

I guess one is not built as well as the other. Or, may be it could be due to cracked solder that only shows up at loud volume, like FRiNgE said a few posts back.

2. Hubert jan

Hubert jan Forum Resident

Thank you for he link.
    However not relevant for crossover filters.
    Glueing capacitor's to the print or enclosure also not relevant, waste of time.

3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have never experienced and issue with any of my tower speakers, with regard to the crossovers, regardless of the volume.

On my A7 cabinets, I have my crossovers mounted on top of the 825 bass bins, next to the 511B horns.

The bass bins, have been reinforced and the feature an Emminance bass speaker, which can handle twice the power of the Altec's and the bass cabinet is rather efficient.

Because of this, I don't see any point in mounting the crossovers inside of the bass bin where they can be subject to unnecessary vibrations which may be a high SPL's on occasions.

The cabinets are made of sturdy plywood and on top, they are subject to minimal vibrations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.