To Oppo, or not to Oppo...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bystander, Apr 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diver110

Diver110 Forum Resident

Agree with PMCH. If you don't need a universal player, your money is probably better spent on a dedicated player. With the Oppo, you would be paying for abilities you wouldn't use. You could either get a better or equal quality, but cheaper, dedicated player.

The Pinhead likes this.
  2. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

No. That's why it has 7.1 analog outputs

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The 103 was $499 and the 103D was $100 more. I wouldn't touch that "refurbished" 103 with a 10' pole. Reading the listing it says only the power cord comes with it with no mention of a remote. Possibility of scratches and dents and returns within 30 days with a 10% restocking fee. One would be much better off buying a used 103 from a reputable seller that lists the actual condition in the original box with all the accessories.

4. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

I have the Oppo-103 and I'm very happy with it. For what you need (a music only system) here will be the pro's and con's of owning an Oppo

PROS
    Playback of SACD and DVD-A discs
    Playback of FLAC, WAV, Mp3, ACC, mp4, mpa files
    Playback of 5.1 FLAC music files (for those times you want to playback fan-transferred Quadraphonic recordings (like I do)).
    Playback of DTS encoded CDs (remember those).
    Playback of Hi-Res files (16bit and 24bit - 44.1kHz, 48khz, 88.1kHz, 96kHz, 192kHz).
    Will decode some early pre-emphasis CDs.
    On board Pandora and Tidal app.

CONS
    You will either require an app interface or a TV screen to access file playback and other features.
    I have found the Tidal app to be VERY buggy.
    If you're not interested in 5.1 playback, then it's overkill.
    If you're not interested in Hi-Res, then it's overkill.
    If you're not interested in file playback, then it's overkill.

OTHER OPTIONS

If it just CD and SACD stereo playback you want then stick to a SACD player. There are plenty of them going cheap now the technology is out of the mainstream.

If you do want to playback files and want to keep your vintage look, the something like a Sony HAP S1 (silver face). They are expensive though.

Check out Techmoan's video.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Arnold_Layne likes this.
  5. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

It was just an example. I don't usually buy any used piece of equipment, except vintage and minor items, without an original box and all accessories.

I would think that you could expect to find one with the original box and accessories for around the $400 price point. There is one on eBay right now, with a Buy-It-Now price of $400, with the original box and all accessories.

If you do a current eBay search on the 103, shows some stupid asking prices. I don't get the reason for so many listings that are above the original retail?

6. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

The HAP-S1 is a nice unit. I have one.
    I use it like Techmoan does with the line-out to my amp. It has a built in amp but it's not very powerful and the THD rating is pretty high. Makes a great music server though.
    However to get SACD's imported to it you need to be able to rip them to DSD files. Guess what the Oppo 103/105's can be hacked to do... rip sacd's

paulisdead and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. SandAndGlass

You can use the internal DAC to decode the DSD, once that is done, it can be outputted through the analog connections, as previously mentioned.

But the digital signal can only leave via HDMI.

I have a 93, which I use as a transport with CD's. I send the digital signal out the coax and to the Peachtree iNova, where it is decoded by the ESS Saber DAC. But it will not send a signal from a SACD through the digital coax.

If someone wants to have the highest quality SACD, they are better off with the 95/105... units, because they all have the latest and greatest Saber DAC's, that were available at the time of design/production. The 93/103... have less expensive DAC's.

For someone who will only be playing regular CD's, I would vote to go to the 93/103... series and use a separate DAC. The player itself, due to it's mechanical nature, will likely fail, long before the DAC.

What good is having an expensive DAC in a broken player, and having to replace the entire unit?

That thinking holds true with expensive AV receivers. You can buy a separate preamp and power amp of your choice, or an integrated, and you can use it for many, many years to come, without it becoming obsolete. Since I am satisfied with all of my other gear, when I decide that it is time for another HT processor, I just replace that component.

If and when, you feel that it is time to upgrade your DAC, you can do so, without changing out anything but the DAC.

The Oppo's are still a good choice, because you can control the volume levels of the individual channels (at least, that has been my understanding, as it is something that I have never done myself). This way, you can hook the individual channels up to one or more power amps directly, without the need for a processor.

Either way, you still good. If you are not going to use a separate DAC and maybe a separate processor. I think that it is just a matter of deciding if you want to spring for the extra money to buy the Oppo, with the top of the line DAC, or go with a less expensive one. The video features, may be different. With regard to the video, I don't have any separate requirements.

FWIW... The SACD thing was not something that I was aware of or thought about, when I bought my 93. I did learn about this afterward.

8. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

I would be tempted to forget the Oppo and the SACD layer of your discs.

I would use your player as a CD transport and connect the digital out to a decent DAC, and the analogue outputs from said DAC to the CD or aux inputs on your amplifier.

A top notch DAC can get wonderful results from CDs.

gd0 and SandAndGlass like this.
  9. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Nope, every Oppo player I've heard sounded bright and a bit lacking in detail compared to other players.

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  10. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

Yeah, that was a big percentage he was looking at. I was on the phone to US customs the other day because I am going to be bringing a pair of speakers across the Canadian border Friday and wanted an idea of what duty I'd have to pay.

3.6% I can deal with that.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

Not making a recommendation either way but there is a 103 being auctioned on Audiogon right now (bit at time of writing--$200+)

Search Results for oppo 103 | Audiogon

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. SandAndGlass

They seem to be currently going for about $400, in good condition, with everything included.

My guess that, based on the number of bids, that I see on eBay, they will bring at least $300. But you never know.

There are enough of them available, at any time, so why not bid moderately on one, then another, etc..., until you happen to be the individual who wins the auction. If you can manage to get one for around $300 or slightly more, it's a win.

13. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I don't think the Darbee chip was a good edition to the players.

14. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Strongly consider the Marantz SA8005 SACD player / DAC.
    Much to my surprise the sound of this unit is blowing away the sound of my new Sony HAP-Z1ES player in terms of clarity, transparency and stunning dynamics. The SA8005 is scary good.

15. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I've had two OPPOs. A 93 and 103.

I think they sound great. I don't get the comments about them being bright sounding. I've had some cheap CD players that I thought sounded kind of brittle, but not these OPPOs.

Although not on the OPs requirement list, the video looks great, and does a great job of up scaling DVD to near hi res. I have a ton of concert DVDs that are a pleasure to watch on my 65" Samsung display.

Their resale value is high. I bought my 93 for $399 new and four years later I sold it for $325.

Last and not least, OPPO has a great repair policy. Send them your broken player, and $79 and they will fix any problem and return it to you, freight pre paid.

Bill Mac likes this.
  16. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Looked at this thread quickly but didn't see anything about them discontinuing their HDCD feature. I thought I'd read the new Oppo's didn't, or won't, have the decoding.

Why....why does a great component with great integrity offer less options as time goes on ? I'd hoped one day to get an Oppo for my discs of which I have a few SACD/hybrids and many HDCD/standard CD discs. I realize I may be wrong..but surely I remember the bummed out response by one poster. Oppo is reasonably affordable for the likes of myself...and I just am disappointed in a functional decrease here.

I don't want to be cynical about everything. :sigh:

My dog has been in this hunt and now he appears to have lost his scent. :pug:

17. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

As formats lose traction they get abandoned.

When was the last time you saw a computer with a floppy drive or a parallel printer port?

BrokenByAudio likes this.
  18. OnTheRoad

I've got a fully functioning old computer right now with floppy. I don't use it though.

However...the HDCD format is still being made...plus all the older cd's I have with it I'd like to have the option. NO....continue with new technology but DON'T abandon a usable format. I don't like the ''buy into" attitude of 'allowance for obsolescence' among mankind. As a reflection, yours is disappointing to me. :(

vegafleet and quicksrt like this.
  19. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

It's 50% import duty + 50% of the shipping down here with the new government. Say something price U$100 + 50 shipping I'm looking at a total of 225. Expensive, but wat cheaper than buying locally.

Redbook-only Cd players like Onkyo, Yamaha, Teac and Marantz are U$ 500-650 locally.

20. Erik Tracy

Disappointing?

Dude - chill. You asked a question and I gave a possible explanation.

21. OnTheRoad

Chill ? I'm OK. I just gave a opinion on your "possible explanation". Nothing personal just in general...the mindset of allowed obsolescence of a still functioning format. It IS disappointing.

quicksrt likes this.
  22. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

I'm in a similar position to the OP: While my main room is all set, I'm assembling a modest 2 channel system in another part of the house and my amp will only have analog inputs. I have a spare Oppo 93 I was going to use as my SACD player, but after reading this thread, I'm unsure if it will suffice. My question is: Can I output the 2.0 SACD layer using RCA cables running from the FL/FR outs?

23. nightstand68

nightstand68 Forum Resident

You must be Mr Moneybucks. If it's over $100 for a disc player, too expensive for me. My wife says so and that's the bottom line.

The Pinhead likes this.
  24. Erik Tracy

I get it.

I like my purchases to last and for there to be support for them if needed years to come.

It is a reality, though, that rate of change of technology is ever increasing and that 'tail' of obsolescence grows shorter.

I don't like change. :D

25. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I'd hate to see your retirement fund then...

whaiyun and BrokenByAudio like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.