To Oppo, or not to Oppo...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bystander, Apr 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have not ever listened to an SACD, so not from experience.

My understanding is that the DAC in the Oppo, will decode the SACD layer and output it through the LF and RF RCA outs. This is just the same, as it would be for a regular CD. If you want to use digital, then, it has to be through HDMI only.

You should go to the set up guide and set the player to have the Oppo select the SACD layer first, if one is present. That way, and SACD disk or dual disk, will give priority to the DSD and not the PCM.

2. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

If I understand what you are saying, I can use the 93 as a SACD reader/transport with just the LF and RF RCA outs. Switching the SACD layer preference is easy. I just wanted to make sure I didn't need all 6 RCA cables to pass the signal to be down-mixed to 2.0 somewhere else.

3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

That is my impression. As long as the SACD is a two channel stereo CD/SACD.

If you want to listen to a multi-channel recorded disk, there should be a setting for the Oppo to mix the 5.1 or 7.1 mix down to a stereo mix or a 2.1 mix.

BuckNaked likes this.
  4. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

Perfect. I don't believe I have any 5.1-only SACDs. Just want to make sure I get the highest resolution possible passing the 2.0 program via analog.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. acdc7369

acdc7369 Forum Resident

I don't have a 93 so I can't answer that but I can do it on my UDP-203. I see no reason you couldn't do it on your 93.

BuckNaked likes this.
  6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

They don't, in general, exist. I believe 1 or 2 came out of Hong Kong, but very rare. You will almost always find a stereo (possibly mono) section on the DSD layer.

Tim 2 and BuckNaked like this.
  7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Not in my experience. All the Oppo players I've owned (83, 83SE, 95, 103 and 105D) do not sound bright or are lacking in detail at all in my system.
    The 93 will work just fine for what you are planning. I used the FL/FR analog outputs for CDs, Blu-ray Audio DVD-As and SACDs (all in stereo) with my 103 with no problem. In the 93's "Playback Setup" menu set the SACD Priority to Stereo so the SACD layer of hybrid SACDs play and that the stereo layer and not the multichannel layer plays.

8. nightstand68

nightstand68 Forum Resident

You and me both.

9. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

New you'd say that Bill.

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  10. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

What the heck are you talking about? Nearly all my SACD's are multi-channel.

quicksrt likes this.
  11. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

In my system, the Apple TV and TiVo run through the Oppo DAC and the music server through the Gungnir MB, but I also listen to music through the Oppo DAC. It is no slouch, detailed and crisp, but it does have a digital sheen to it.

12. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

Of course. He meant multi-channel layer only.

Bill Mac likes this.
  13. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

What BuckNaked posted was: I don't believe I have any 5.1-only SACDs.

I'm the poster child for SACDs. I have 1062 SACDs and 484 are multichannel. Actually there are another 60 or so I have not filed - note to self.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  14. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

I have a Oppo DVD/SACD player and love it, it will play foreign dvds.
    I have a Sony bluray, older one, and it will do one thing my Oppo won't do (besides playing blurays), play the DVDs that I burn myself, the Oppo can't read them...
    Between the two I am pretty happy

15. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

Yes . Misread the post.

16. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Yes! Of course, it is an SACD player.

-=Rudy=- likes this.
  17. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

The following is a VIDEO related question as it relates to Oppo players, specifically related to a dilemma I'm fortunate to have (1st world problem alert :D)

I'm installing a 4K TV at a newly purchased vacation property and have the option of bringing up a spare 83 or 103 (no Darbee). Since I'll rarely be using the player for audio only purposes and will have streaming capability through the TV and/or streaming device, the Netflix built into the Oppo isn't a consideration in my decision.

The question is whether the 83 will play nice from a video standpoint with the TV from an upscaling standpoint, or if I should use the 103 so as to only be one technology level behind. Any input will be helpful.

18. DPM

DPM Senior Member

The reason the new Oppo players will not decode HDCD is because the new DAC chips in those players were manufactured without HDCD capability. So blame the chip makers for the lack of HDCD decoding.

19. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Take the OPPO 103.
    It can upscale 1080P Blu Rays to 4K.......... which the 83 cannot.

As you have a 4K Display it is the better option regarding potential PQ.

20. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

OK

Couldn't Oppo have used as good a quality DAC that had the HDCD function though ?

Either way....it's a bummer for me..maybe not for others.

21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

It's not the DACs in the Oppo players but the new 4k MediaTek chip set in the 203/205 that does not support HDCD playback. The 105 and 205 have ESS Sabre DACs (different versions) but the 105 has HDCD playback capability.

IronWaffle likes this.
  22. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Oops. I got my digital doodads mixed up. Thanks for the correction, kind sir. :righton:

Bill Mac likes this.
  23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

No problem! Been there done that plenty of times :).

24. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Hope they keep it ! :)

Just looked....seems to be out of production. :( OH wait...is that just the 105 or the 105D as well too ?

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Both the 105 and 105D have HDCD playback capability. Yes both players are out of production being replaced by the 205. I have the 105D and it's an excellent player IMO. I had a 205 on order but cancelled it as I'm quite happy with the 105D.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.