To Oppo, or not to Oppo...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bystander, Apr 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Love my 103. Sucker can play anything and sounds terrific doing it. I got mine for $400 and I can't imagine getting better bang for my buck. I'm totally happy with mine.

The Pinhead, vegafleet and Linger63 like this.
  2. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Both players can be set to Source Direct which will let the TV do the upscaling to 4K with equal results. Since it's a vacation home, I'd bring the 83. It's an older player that's worth less in case of theft or other unforseen problems.

Bill Mac likes this.
  3. thib

thib Forum Resident

I had to temporarily replace my Sony SCD-XA5400ES in my 2 channel system with my Oppo BDP95 from my home theatre a few weeks ago. I've always been a fan of the Oppo and really wasn't expecting to be able to discern any or much of a difference. WOW - I was really surprised at how disappointed I was with the Oppo in my 2 channel set-up! The Sony definitely has a richer, more musical sound and better imaging (to my ears anyway).

scobb likes this.
  4. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Equal??

That's disappointing.......I assumed the OPPO 103 would do it clearly better than most Displays.

5. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I just wish I could afford it right now...and get a second hand or new one thru a marketplace seller.

I talked to an old friend of mine in Texas yesterday...he's had an OPPO since the 83 ? model. It has the HDCD, SACD, DVD-A etc. functions and he loves it. He'd just inquired about a possible new one and was equally disappointed as I in that they've gone to a 'no HDCD' function now. He, like me, has many CD/HDCD discs and he says there's certainly a difference decoded as opposed to the standard file on the CDs.

I really just don't understand a great company like OPPO lessening their functions. I spose I didn't realize but I think he said they'd been bought out by Sony. Is that correct ? One thing too....I realize the 105D has what they call a Darby chip...but for me, I think I'd only need the plain 105 and at what...$800 or so less...lots more affordable for me. Please correct any wrong I may have uttered..I'm relying on a not quite exact memory.

6. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

^ Jeez Louise, these pre-owned units sure do command silly prices. (Unless you already own one, in which case they "hold their value".)

tmtomh likes this.
  7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I highly doubt Oppo was bought out by Sony but one never knows. It's been posted here a number of times that it wasn't Oppo's intent to "lessen" the features of the 203 and the 205. The MediaTek 4k chipset that Oppo uses on the 203 and 205 does not support HDCD playback. That was MediaTek's decision although I'm not sure why they dropped HDCD playback (hardware or added cost?). But it is what it is. If one needs HDCD playback then the 203 and 205 will not be the players for them. Are there any 4k universal players being sold that have HDCD playback? If there are none then Oppo isn't the only maker of universal 4k players not offering HDCD playback.

tmtomh and IronWaffle like this.
  8. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Oppo players do have high resale due to the quality of the players and Oppo's excellent service. The 105 went for $1200 new so one in good condition going for $800 isn't an outrageous price IMO. If one buys a used 105 for $800 chances are the value isn't going to drop that much.

tmtomh and eddiel like this.
  9. OnTheRoad

Well...I think it was another poster....but he also said don't "blame" Oppo...as it's the chip. Oppo made the decision thought right ? Could've used another chip with HDCD I spose...so for me in that scenario...the buck stops with Oppo. I'm just sayin'...not trying to be unfair.

I don't need the ultimate options of the 203 or 205, as I'd said...the plain jane 105 would be fine for me. Ultimately, I'm just disappointed as I've had that 105 capability in my mind for a few years now. :(

10. OnTheRoad

I was wrong in thinking the 105 was more like $600 new..and the 105D $1200 or so....they're lots closer in value than I thought...it's the 203 that's just under $600 and the 205 near $1300. My bad, sorry.

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

There is no other decoder chip in the market that can decode 4K/Blu-ray/SACD/DVD-A.

12. Novice electronics question, but could a second chip have been added that has an HDCD decoder? Not saying Oppo should have done this, just wondering if it's possible.

13. OnTheRoad

Oh

We gotta get to work on that ! :D

Linger63 likes this.
  14. pjaizz

pjaizz Forum Resident

Oppo is the audiophile swiss army knife. If I had to have one player to do a lot of things, it would be the Oppo. There are many players that do specific things better than the Oppo, but I surely use my 93 every day..and love the versatility.

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Pure speculation on my part: probably not, at least in any cost/technologically effective manner.

Shawn likes this.
  16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I don't think you're being "unfair". But in all honesty a bit uninformed as to what the actual situation is. I wouldn't consider the 105 to be a "plain jane" player as it's loaded with features and sounds excellent.

tmtomh likes this.
  17. OnTheRoad

That 'plain jane' comment was in jest. It's not the Darbee model...so I was just calling it plain.

As far as the 203 at under $600, even without HDCD, that looks like a great unit....for 99% of my cd's, SACD hybrids and DVDs. :) Even the standard layer of those hybrids would still sound good too. That may have to be my current goal.

18. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

19. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident In Memoriam

Too bright for me too.

Tim 2 likes this.
  20. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Depends on the display. It's easy with Source Direct to see if the player or TV scales better. The processor in the 83 is different so it might actually upscale BD's better than the 103. I haven't compared mine. OTOH, the 83 upscales DVD's better. I noticed the 203 upscales DVD better than the 103, just about par with the 83. I was keeping my 83 just for that reason.

21. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

I have a feeling the Oppo 103/105 units will keep commanding high prices on the used market due to it's companies excellent service and the recent ability to be used to rip SACD's.

SamS, tmtomh and Bill Mac like this.
  22. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

I was only considering 4K upscaling ability......which the 83 does not have

ti-triodes likes this.
  23. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

I have an Oppo BDP 103 and i haven't regreat any second for it, was a great invest

The Pinhead and Wounded Land like this.
  24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

They will hold better than average yes, but the number of them soon being offered will force prices south.

I thought it was the 95 that can rip SACDs? Is it also the 103 & 105 as well?

25. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

And, as I understand it, the Cambridge 752BD and the CXU as well. Presumably relates to the underlying Mediatek board both use. See elsewhere for better informed content that explains why however!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.