"To Tell the Truth" Bud Collyer - Vintage CBS Color broadcast, Thanksgiving, 1967

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Joel Cairo, Nov 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff Thread Starter

2. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Not a hilarious as the "April Fool's Joke" about a guy who'd made Stew from DOG FOOD! Kitty Carlisle spitting it out when she'd realized just she was eating,and another celebrity trying to throw it at the host is side-splitting!:laugh:

3. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

I loved that show! Thanks for posting.

4. Joel Cairo

A timely holiday bump, for the folks who might not have seen this before...

- Kevin

driverdrummer likes this.
  5. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Ah, the comforting sound of the voice of Johnny Olson (sp?)

6. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

joel, that color image is rock solid. Would that be One inch Quad tape?

7. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

That would be my guess, very clean.

8. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Measurin. heh

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

2"! Every inch counts. Probably 2" low-band color, is my guess.

[​IMG]

1" helical was an old industrial format in the 1970s, and eventually became a broadcast format by 1979-1980. There was a sort-of 1" quadruplex format in the 1980s, the Bosch 1" B system, but it didn't last long.

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Dig that pastel CBS Norelco color.

Bud Collyer. The nicest host. First he was the voice of SUPERMAN in the Max Fleischer cartoons and in the Mutual radio show in the 1940's, then BEAT THE CLOCK on CBS and then TO TELL THE TRUTH.

He died very young.

Nice to see Betty White. Geez, she looks like a teen there.

Vidiot likes this.
  11. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

By 1967, CBS would have used hi-band Ampex VR-2000's and/or VR-1200's to record their shows; the former machine, remember, had been introduced in 1964.

Around the time the daytime TTTT left CBS's scheduled in 1968, the Ed Sullivan Theatre which was the show's final home (and also the first home of the 1969-78 syndicated version) had replaced their Norelco PC-70's (albeit the first produced version with round applied handles) with Marconi Mark VII color cameras (this, from Bobby Ellerbee's Eyes of a Generation site, which can be found here); this, whilst PC-70's remained at their Broadcast Center on West 57th.

Vidiot likes this.
  12. Ere

Ere Senior Member

How did they record the audience vote?

13. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Those courious creatures look like middle school girls today.

14. Joel Cairo

There were 100 seats in the theatre that had a custom-made (and somewhat primitive looking) wired switchbox in front of them, with three buttons on it. At the appropriate time, the audience members picked up those handheld units, and made their selection. The actual method of tallying the votes is unknown, though I'd imagine that pushing one of the three buttons on the units probably lit an accompanying light on a panel backstage. Those handheld units look pretty clunky, so there certainly could be that many wires in them.

The audience votes would then be counted as the panel gave the explanations of **their** votes, the respective vote counts were then put on Solari displays, which were chroma-keyed into the picture.

And just for the record, I never cared for the audience vote. It was used for the initial 1956 pilot (titled "Nothing But the Truth", and hosted by Mike Wallace!!), and immediately discarded before the series premiere, because it slowed the game down. Still true in 1967, and I just never felt that it really added anything, from an entertainment standpoint.

- Kevin

Vidiot and Dillydipper like this.
  15. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

She's so youthful, but she was born in January of 1922, so she actually was 45 in 1967!

16. Ere

Ere Senior Member

Thanks, Kevin, for the post and insight on the audience tally devices :righton:

17. mr_mjb1960

I have to correct myself..That You Tube clip was about Stroganoff made with DOG FOOD! I'll try to find that clip,so I can show you what I meant!:righton:

18. mr_mjb1960

19. il pleut

il pleut New Member

Bud was nicer on TV than in real life, but then we'd be getting into politics.

20. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Ooh, glad I just saw this thread. Missed it the first time around. Love these behind the scenes discussions on early TV production! We've come a long way, but we've also lost the mystique of broadcasting as well. Neat!

dan c

21. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Oh that's funny, didn't notice the DV tape there at first. :) Even that thing's becoming obsolete now with HD and flash capture!

I remember those massive quad reels and machines from my short time in TV. Did grunt work at the underfunded PBS affiliate in El Paso in the late-80s. They had two 2" Ampex machines they used for sponsor spots before programming. 'Sesame Street is brought to you locally by Juan's Auto Repair'... I learned to work the monsters, it was such fun. All the adjusting and winding and threading, setup took practice. It was a rush getting tapes swapped out right before broadcast. All computerized now!

dan c

Vidiot likes this.
  22. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Notice all that vignetting on the upper corners, particularly on the host's tight shots. Never would see that over the air with TVs of the era.

Was that usually caused by the lenses of the time or the camera itself?

dan c

23. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

That was called "overscan." This was seen to a degree with some color cameras, including Norelcos and also Ikegami HK-312C, but not to the extent as seen on full-scan videotapes of old B&W shows where there was overscan all over the place, especially with the old RCA I/O's. I presume the lenses would've been the culprit . . .

24. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I thought 'overscan' was when you lost picture area during transmission and on tube TVs. As in, thanks to 'overscan' you'd never see that vignetting back in the day. :confused: When I ran studio camera I remember tape markings on our monitors to help us compose with enough headroom because so much was lost on its way to the viewer's TV. It's been a while since I did anything in TV though so I could be off.

dan c

25. Joel Cairo

Thought I'd give this one a "50-year bump", for those who may not have seen it...

Happy Turkey Day, everyone!

- Kevin

longdist01, JeffreyB and nosticker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.