"To Tell the Truth" Bud Collyer - Vintage CBS Color broadcast, Thanksgiving, 1967

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Joel Cairo, Nov 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

But, I bet that auditorium was perfect for early radio station music testing. :agree:

Most of my attention was spent on the bumpers, announcements, credits & commercials...does that make me too geeky?

CBS was the last to go whole-hog into color, correct? But by this time, most of their affiliates would have all the equipment to transmit color signal.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  2. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Thanks! This was 3 days before I was born!

Dan

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yeah, just to comment on this 6-year-old question, most consumer TV sets cut off the corners of the picture so you'd never notice the vignetting. The lenses were problematic as were the pickup tubes used to capture the image. Eventually, the FCC passed rules in the 1970s to stop this practice, and broadcasters had to clean up their act and have good pictures all the way to the edges ("the raster"). A lot of pre-1970s live or tape TV shows are plagued with terrible vignetting in the corners; kinescopes (film copies of video shows) are even worse.

The whole clip is hilarious -- it's simultaneously awful and hilarious to see how cheap and crappy TV game shows were in 1967. But there is a kind of charm to it, and Bud Collyer was a total class act, just a great voice and just the right attitude. Perfect guy as host, with tremendous experience as a radio actor in the 1940s.

Dan C likes this.
  4. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

There were other things that TV producers and stations did that the FCC clamped down on in the '70's. A Facebook page @Vidiot is a member of (and which I've seen from time to time), that shows screencaps of restored 2" quad videos (and in full D1 format, 486 line height - with the first two lines on the top blanked to produce a 484 line height picture) that, in the late 1960's, had a picture width that, from end to end, was as little as approx. 51.5 μs; the FCC, after the '70's, would only permit a minimum of ~52.3 μs and a recommended 52.66 μs. (My faves were test pattern screencaps from WCBS-TV in New York and KNXT [now KCBS-TV] in Los Angeles. Vidiot can probably guess which Facebook page I refer to.)

5. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Not "Eyes of a Generation" is it?

dan c

6. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Nope . . . a Burbank video restoration firm called DC Video.

7. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I enjoyed that clip-first time I've seen the show. I wish more game show DVDs were out there. So far, there are DVDs of Price is Right, All Star Family Feud, Match Game, and a 5 episode DVD of Jeopardy.

8. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff Thread Starter

There's actually a "Password" set, as well... however, whoever produced it made the bonehead decision to deinterlace the marvelous original quad tape image to 30 fps (progressive), so it looks slightly film-ized.

Total rookie move.

- Kevin

9. torcan

torcan Forum Resident

They were going to do a "Tattletales" set as well, but then the company that was going to do it went out of business. Too bad...they might have included some episodes from the rare once-weekly syndicated version from 1977-78, which was only seen in a handful of markets. I've never seen one of those nighttime shows....

10. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Nothing worse than when some ***** takes gorgeous 2-inch tape and gives it a fake film look. They did the same thing with the DVD of That Show with Joan Rivers.

Vahan and Dan C like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.