"To The Bone" - 5th Steven Wilson Album, 8/18

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by opiumden, May 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Not everyone has a Blu-Ray player and I imagine the production costs are minimal. At least you then don't have to upgrade once you do get a Blue Ray player...a rare example of SW being magnanimous ;)

2. Bewaremylove

Bewaremylove Forum Resident

I pre-ordered the deluxe. It's expensive for shipping but these sets have always been around this price. I didn't order Raven when it came out and have regretted it. You can't find that deluxe set anywhere anymore for under $200. I'm a sucker for packaging

3. gary191265

I thought the £6.50 shipping I paid was expensive! ;)

4. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

From Burning Shed...

5. Bewaremylove

It really sucks to pay this much for shipping, but once these deluxe sets are gone, they won't come back.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  6. Bewaremylove

I picked mine up through universal music if you're trying to get one. Hope this helps

7. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Let's be honest... if this song was released by any other artist, we would not have a 1 let alone a 5 page thread. The intro is interesting in an 80's synth kind of way... and the end? It gets loud. The chords get loud. But that's about all I can say. Electronic drums are also not something I crave.

There was a reason for Ninet on HCE's songs. I'm not hearing the reason here...she is making me think of 80's big hair, something I'd really care to forget.

Fortunately, Steven has a lot of credit in the bank. So I look forward to what else is coming.

klockwerk likes this.
  8. gary191265

I made the same mistake as you with '...Raven...', as I was skint at the time. Even the plain CD/DVD version that I did get is worth $40-50 now (if I've done my conversions right and the post-Brexit value of the £ hasn't plummeted even further!)

9. gary191265

It's growing on me with repeated listens, I was much the same when he released 'Perfect Life' prior to H.C.E., I wasn't fond of that to begin with, then I heard how it fitted in with the rest of the album and it made sense.

Plan9 and lucan_g like this.
  10. gary191265

It strikes me that he wants his own Elizabeth Fraser to play with!

lucan_g likes this.
  11. Bewaremylove

I actually liked it from the first listen. It will probably sound epic at one of his concerts. It does sort of have an 80's vibe like you said, but for me that's not a problem.

Octowen and marblesmike like this.
  12. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Ordered vinyl and delux box (one shipping charge) plus a chance to attend special playback of the album in June in London.

Jimbino and Bewaremylove like this.
  13. Sadcafe

I am guessing Steves global distribution deal has meant the end of burning shed exclusives?

14. I just ordered, and my shipping charge to the US was $33.

15. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

Anyone else having problem with the payment to the Universal store? They say that my bank is refusing the payment and my bank is saying that they have not received any question for payment...

16. Sadcafe

I think my musical trajectory is similar to Steve Wilsons. Slightly too young for Progs peak period but enjoy huge elements. The eighties whilst being essentially crap was saved by PG, Kate Bush, Prince, The The, Talk Talk and Tears for Years. I love the eclectic nature of his influences. Different albums for different moods. HCE will always be his ultimate (along with Raven). I am hoping this is the accessible one I can play when I have a house full of relatives!!!

Octowen likes this.
  17. Bewaremylove

No issues for me, but I used paypal

18. Huh. Interesting. I just tried it again and you're right. I swear I saw $55. Either way, thats still a lot of money.

19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

"Pariah": meh.
    I hope it's the worst track in the new album.

20. I seriously doubt that there are many Steven Wilson fans who are buying the deluxe and don't have a blu ray. There is probably one fan named Craig without a blu ray and he sucks ;).

So far I see no good reason to offer both discs except to increase the cost (though it probably doesn't increase it THAT much).

21. tcj

tcj Senior Member

Anyone waiting to find cheaper prices on the deluxe box is waiting in vain. It is apparently being exclusively sold there.

"To The Bone is due to be released on 18th August but is available now to pre-order in a variety of formats, including a special deluxe hard back 120 page book edition, which includes an exclusive full length CD of demos and unused songs, and a one-sided 7 inch vinyl single of a bonus instrumental song from the album sessions. Neither of these will be available anywhere else."

22. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I'm guessing that the comment "neither of these will be available anywhere else" means the special edition is the only place you'll find the exclusive content as described, not that you cannot buy the SE anywhere else.

Even when pre-ordered on Burning Shed, SW's deluxe editions usually surface elsewhere, particularly here in the USA. This new distribution deal could break that cycle but there is nothing thus far which convinces me that we won't see these for sale elsewhere.

23. Sadcafe

Tour tickets on sale tomorrow (Europe only so far) Over 30 gigs in Feb and March. Got my eyes on the Sage gig on 25th March.

24. gary191265

I didn't have a blu-ray player when I started buying PT/SW related blu-rays :) It probably adds pennies to the cost.

25. gary191265

Newbury Comics always used to be the place to look if I remember from the old PT forums many years ago.

Bewaremylove likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.