"To The Bone" - 5th Steven Wilson Album, 8/18

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by opiumden, May 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

[​IMG]

2. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Hopefully, you are not an Amazon Prime Member!

Hey, you always have the option to cancel your order. Can't believe the order is still in limbo!

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  3. OldJohnRobertson

OldJohnRobertson Martyr for Even Less

I got the Blu Ray on release day. Hopefully you'll get yours soon. The 5.1 mix is incredible.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  4. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Thanks, I'm PATIENTLY awaiting its arrival.

5. Bewaremylove

Bewaremylove Forum Resident

Update: After a month and a half of pestering customer service, I finally got a response saying that it was lost in the mail. They said that they would send another copy if it became available, which I thought wasn't possible, being that the deluxe set was sold out. Two days later, I received another email from customer service stating that they shipped another copy. Today, I finally received the deluxe set. One corner of the book was a little dented, but otherwise it's in good shape. Persistence pays off! I can't wait to finally listen to it.

Plan9 and krimson like this.
  6. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I really like the second half of this album after Permanating. The surround mix is especially good on these tracks.

7. juanmanuel

juanmanuel Forum Resident

The more I listen to this album the more I like it. Some argue this is not his best work. I do not know and I do not mind that matter. All I know is that of all Steven solo efforts this is the album I like best. Perhaps because I like pop music as well, as much as progressive sounds. It sounds really good to me!!!!!

8. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

I am still waiting on my Amazon order

9. Vinyl Fan 1973

Same here...it’s a joke. Now they say Oct 16.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  10. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

This is bad, really bad. You are missing out on some good music now, really... Aside from been very patient, is there a reason why you are not canceling this order and buy it localy?

11. mikedifr0923

Where I am you are never finding anything other than the CD locally.....and I only saw that once and haven't since

can't speak for others

12. Vinyl Fan 1973

Laziness LOL. I got the Bluray for $20 so I’m pretty happy with that price. Also I’ve been streaming the album through Spotify till the Bluray comes in.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  13. mikedifr0923

I ordered cd, vinyl, blu ray at the same time about a week after release, cd/vinyl came immediately....guess they didn't make enough blu rays :shrug:

14. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Now that I've finally ripped the stereo mix from my bluray and have been able to listen a couple times in the car, I'm reminded of the "too pop"/"not prog" debates earlier.

Besides maybe the drum sound on Permanating, this album doesn't seem all that jarringly different than much of SW's work solo or with PT, No-Man, and Blackfield.

Look at the 1969-1984 period of Yes, Genesis, and King Crimson. Nothing Steven Wilson has done in his career has been as progressive OR pop (relative to the period) as those bands at each extreme. That's not a bad thing, he's pretty cool and I've been enjoying getting into his work over the past year.

FWIW, The Same Asylum As Before from this latest album is my favorite original song of his. What a standout.

15. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

When has King Crimson ever been “pop”?

16. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

Heartbeat is as close as Crim ever came to pop. In a perfect world it would have been # 1 on the charts.

17. tonewheeltom

"Heartbeat" and a couple of the 80s tunes fit alongside early 80s pop. Especially when compared to Larks' Tongues!

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  18. Walking On Air, Sleepless, Heartbeat, Eyes Wide Open, One Time, People, Man With an Open Heart. All strong tunes witha classic pop influence.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  19. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

"Heartbeat"? I'd call it offbeat pop.

20. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I didn’t realize everything with a melody and vocals qualified as pop.

But fair enough...I guess it’s in the ears of the listener.

LivingForever likes this.
  21. Nah. Crimson has pop elements, but they have never been pop - especially in the manner that SW has cited his inspiration for the album of current discussion.

lucan_g likes this.
  22. tonewheeltom

Again, semantics regarding genres has taken over.

My point was that the perceived shift of Steven Wilson from "prog" to "pop" was almost imperceptible compared to that of his forebears.

mikedifr0923, rontoon, Plan9 and 2 others like this.
  23. Make sense aside from the genre hair-splitting. Look at basically any 70's prog bands transition to the 80's.

24. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

True.

And I’ve barely forgiven Yes and have never forgiven Genesis. Wilson certainly hasn’t been as drastic. :)

SirMarc likes this.
  25. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I couldn't agree more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.