"To The Bone" - 5th Steven Wilson Album, 8/18

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by opiumden, May 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tor33rpm

Tor33rpm Take Me There....

Took 3 listens for me to get this record. Another 3 listens to understand where Steve was going. I can't stop playing it. I will not be surprised if this is not my favorite record of the year. Top 3 for sure.

I'm not a pop guy. But SW manages to add a unique twist on a track or two that will find their way to a dance floor. Many songs are similar to Rush tracks. I even hear some Yes/Rabin production style on a couple tracks.

Give this record the attention it deserves. After all, it is Steven Wilson. He's not the kind of guy who would produce an album that is designed to piss you off. He's having fun while giving you his signature sound at the same time.

2. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Well said!

It's definitely my album of 2017 at this point

HotelYorba101, Tor33rpm and Harry42 like this.
  3. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

I've had this in heavy rotation since receiving it. There's a uniqueness to each of the songs that maintains my interest through the whole listen. That, and with the subject matter applying to current times, this most likely will also be my album of the year.

4. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Norco, did you end up getting the vinyl as well? I'm still staring at it every time I see it :crazy:

Norco74 likes this.
  5. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Nope. My TT is not 45 rpm friendly but by adding a bigger pully to the motor it plays 45 flawlessly.

I skipped the 45 rpm Peter Gabriel, Brian Eno and other reissues for this reason.

Honestly, the CD SQ is excellent and probably very close to the vinyl SQ. I am very happy with it. All depends on your analog vs digital kits quality.

I didn’t follow this thread too much. Did you finally receive your Blue Disc version of TTB?

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  6. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Thanks for your reply. However, you got me mixed up with someone else regarding the Blue Disc. I only play vinyl, and the occasional cd. It might be VinylFan...

7. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Yes, I mixed you up with VinylFan. LOL

I can only assess the CD version SQ this time. Some have commented on the vinyl quality along the thread. The negative comments are few compared to other vinyl release threads. It wouldn’t stop me to buy TTB on vinyl if I wanted to.

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  8. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Yes I did finally receive the bluray a few weeks back, and I'm super happy with it. I finally got around to watching the doc over the weekend, and I enjoyed it very much. I loved seeing them cut the basic tracks and even seeing Steven lay down some bass.

I agree with those that have mentioned previously that the album gets better with each listen. It's been on heavy rotation since I got it and each time I play it, I'm hearing layers and details that I didn't notice before. Overall I think it's a great album and a natural progression from HCE and 4 1/2, which I also really enjoyed.

9. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

It's official... this album is amazing!

10. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Got my tickets to see him on Tour this Spring. Good seats about halfway back in a theater at $45 per ticket, but with those extra fees added on by Axis, comes out to $120. Still a great deal compare to what Jurassic Rock Music Artists charge just because they were great 40-50 years ago.

11. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

I really think some of the naysayers of this album need to let it grow as it really does get better. No, not all will come to love it but I think some will if they give it a better chance. Yeah, I still have a few little things on it that I don't like and I know they won't ever really grow on me, but I can play through both cd's without skipping any tracks (had to do that with GfD and Raven) and really just enjoy it for what it is - a great little collection of well-crafted songs.

12. That's how I've some to view it. It's not so epic, but I was beginning to tire of the "each album a concept" approach somewhat anyway. There's some really good songs, and I do appreciate the two "pop" numbers that crop up as they help the more intense stuff go down better. Those who really dig only the prog side of Wilson should still have a lot to enjoy in the tracks To the Bone, People Who Eat Darkness, Detonation, and Song of Unborn.

I find myself really liking "Nowhere Now."

13. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Sorry, quick question that I haven't seen answered: does the standalone blu-ray release of this include a download code? His past releases have been a bit patchy on that front.

Thanks!

14. denesis

denesis Forum Resident

I was curious what those are. For me, I find myself not enjoying the two heavier songs (Asylum and Darkness) all that much. Odd, since there are plenty of PT things like Shallow, Strip The Soul and parts of Anesthetize that are favorites.

Also, I cringe at the falsetto at the beginning of Asylum. Other than that, I've no issues with his use of falsetto in general.

I like the first three songs and they flow nicely. After that, I'm left to wonder if a different running order may have helped me enjoy it better. At this point, the album is a solid four stars out of five for me personally.

DesertChaos likes this.
  15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

No it doesn't.

16. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Has anyone been able to actually get the stand alone blu ray?? Amazon still keep putting it off. Is there somewhere that will actually send it?

17. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Have you tried Bull Moose Music? Looks like they have it in stock.

18. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Thanks. I thought that might be the case, since I hadn’t seen it mentioned anywhere. How irritating.

19. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

What do you mean "putting it off"? Its listed. Aren't they shipping?

20. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I wish folks were as forgiving of Beck's new album.

21. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Heh, not much different from what've just said actually!

I don't mind a bit of falsetto but he uses it a bit too much, and while it works well as a harmony part on its own it is cringe-inducing. With "Same Asylum" I like the song for the most part except for the manic part where he just repeats the title over and over - unnecessary and for me it wrecks the flow of the song. He should have left that part out and don't it pretty much like the demo version on cd2. With "People Who Eat Darkness" my reservations are mostly with the lyrics - comes across as something tossed off in 15 minutes without much care. Lastly, I just don't care for "Song of I" at all. The middle orchestral bit is really good but the song parts just don't work for me.

Of course, just my opinions, and as I said - I don't skip over any of it when I play the album so none of it is really that bad.

22. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

If he came up with that in 15 minutes it's a testament to his genius. One of my favorite songs and lyrics, dark and threatening. Love the first line. Just my 2 cents.

The_Windmill and Fletch like this.
  23. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I pre-ordered on Amazon and they kept delaying my shipment for weeks, eventually just ordered from Bull Moose and had it in a few days.

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  24. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

A friend of mine ordered the Blu-ray a while back (from amazon, I think) and is still waiting for it.

If my early thoughts stay true, Song of Unborn and Detonation will end up on my (long) list of all-time great Steven Wilson songs (from any of his projects).

SJP likes this.
  25. The difference is that To The Bone is an outstanding album although in a more commercial vein to previous work.The songs are top standard.Colors on the other hand is a banal piece of crap.The songs are weak ,uninspired and totally formulaic(and Beck is one of my favourites).Two albums trying to do some of the same things but Steven works it brilliantly while Beck is music by numbers at its worst.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.