"To The Bone" - 5th Steven Wilson Album, 8/18

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by opiumden, May 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Just bought my ticket for the Montreal show this Saturday. Last time I saw Steven Wilson live was on the Hand Cannot Erase tour and it blew me away. Hands down my favorite live show ever!

This will be my first time seeing a show at the Olympia Theater as well, which I'm also looking forward to seeing. Love old theaters.

2. brownsound2112

brownsound2112 Forum Resident

I’m sure you’ll enjoy it - I know many many people who saw the show all around the U.K. and it got a unanimous thumbs up. The show I saw was vastly superior to the 3 HCE shows and I don’t even like TTB that much. Have a good one!

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  3. Vinyl Fan 1973

:righton: Thank you. After seeing clips from the Royal Albert Hall, I knew I had to get a ticket. I actually like TTB quite a bit so I'm interested in hearing the live versions of those tracks.

brownsound2112 likes this.
  4. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

5. Norco74

Enjoy, it’s a nice theater! And they have seats...

I wish to see Opeth properly seated on their next tour.

6. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

As indifferent as I am towards most of this album, I hope the tour comes to NZ.

7. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I think the album's pretty good despite the contention about it-not as good as his previous two but some very good songs.

The live experience for me was a bit of a let down.

8. Vinyl Fan 1973

Really? Can you explain why? Did you see the current tour?

9. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Saw the Albany us tour opener the other night. It was stunning.

10. Norco74

Don’t bother.

Have a good one!

11. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

A freind went to see the show in Manchester, said it was the best concert he's ever seen. Looking forward to the Bluray/DVD

rontoon likes this.
  12. Vinyl Fan 1973

Just got back from the show, and it was incredible. Montreal loves Steven Wilson and as always a great crowd. Lovely old theatre and the sound was actually quite good. He played a good number of Porcupine Tree songs and one Blackfield song, and most of the material came from HCE and TTB, which was fine by me.

Incredible band he’s got.

13. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Ditto that for the Keswick show last night. I think we got shorted on the Blackfield song but great crowd. The band is very good. The abrupt song swings and stops were right on. Pretty exceptional.

utopiarun and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  14. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Excellent show, one of the more "rocking" SW solo gigs I've seen! I enjoyed Paul Draper's short set before the show too. Looking forward to the show Saturday night in NYC as well!

15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I would lose my s@%t if I was in the same room as Paul Draper. I can't believe he's even on US soil. Kills me I can't see this tour.

16. rushed again

Thanks for sharing his name (Paul Draper). Didn't know who he was but mentioned to my wife he sounds a lot like Roland Orzabal, who I enjoy immensely. He was a nice opener/surprise.
    I'm Sunday in NYC. Hopefully Ninet does a pop in but...who knows. Enjoy the show!

17. marblesmike

He was in 90s UK band Mansun. Good stuff if you like 90s rock with a psychedelic/progressive tinge.

rushed again likes this.
  18. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Hasn't Wilson remixed their soon to be released debut Attack of the Grey Lentern box set ?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  19. Vinyl Fan 1973

Glad to hear you had a great time. I had a bit of a surprise when I made it onto Craig's Instagram page via a photo he took of the Montreal crowd after the show. I'm down front on the right hand side, so I thought that was a cool little bonus.

I can't wait to see Steven Wilson again and hopefully it'll be sooner than later.

rushed again likes this.
  20. marblesmike

No, someone else did it. I've preordered it on vinyl though and can't wait for it. Original pressings are rare. I think PD said they only pressed 500 copies of the original.

21. denesis

denesis Forum Resident

Did you order it from Burning Shed? If so, did you have any trouble preordering it? I was very confused by the note on their site about it not being for sale in the USA. That fact is irrelevant to me as long as it doesn't prevent me from ordering it from the UK for shipment to the USA.

22. marblesmike

I preordered it from the Mansun official shop via Townsend Records.
    Mansun Official Online Store : Merch, Music, Downloads & Clothing

23. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I have seen some people complaining about the setlist , i looked it up & to me it seems like a pretty great mix going on ................. I'll be seeing him this weekend , can't wait ....

Vinyl Fan 1973 and Rufus rag like this.
  24. rushed again

With limited time, I'm not sure the setlist could be much better. Arriving Somewhere just rocks. There were so many highlights.

Davidmk5, Rufus rag and rontoon like this.
  25. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Saw the Keswick Show. The Videos on the foreground & background screens were awesome. It made it seem like Ninet was there singing in person on Pariah. A song in the 2nd Set also had an awesome screen video during a song(forget which one) of a woman that looked awesome. Just wish he would have played 'Routine' from HCE. Also, the Hard Rock period of PT(Deadwing & In Absentia) is not my favorite, except do love 'Fear of a Blank Planet' and especially love 'Sleep Together', so glad he played that PT Song, but the guitars were so loud that I could not hear if the strings at the end were used for the song and used pre-recorded to build to the climax of that Song). Loved 'Detonation' and how SW switched Guitars during the middle part of that Song and played a Talking Heads Style Funk Guitar sound(reminded me of the Funky Guitar parts of the TH Songs ''Cities' & 'Found a Job' from 'Stop Making Sense')

Met the Drummer, Craig before and after the show, and he was a super nice guy to talk with for a few minutes.

Being a mega Mansun Fan(well their first 2 albums and B-Sides on Kleptomania 3 CD Set, as Little Kix was a step down) great to see Draper perform 4-5 Songs as love his Solo Album from last year(Spooky Action) and he played one of his Songs from his 2 EPs released last year and Mansun Song, Wide Open Space, although he was just playing Acoustic Guitar, so miss the Full Mansun version of that song, but I could not have picked a better Opening Act(wish he played a few more songs, but the Glenside Area has an 11:00 curfew for Concert Noise apparently, and needed to get in SW's Complete Show to end by 11:00).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.