"To The Bone" - 5th Steven Wilson Album, 8/18

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by opiumden, May 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

I finally got a chance to listen to "Pariah" today. I actually think that song is going to get a lot of mainstream airplay -it checks all the boxes, so to speak. It has a theme and tone that will resonate with a lot of people (young and old), it has a killer female part, and the melody is radio friendly...maybe even soft-FM worthy. Some of the new Blackfield album fits into a similar category, but its still not as accessible to the masses as this song. Could be a breakthrough to a whole other level of success for Steven.

2. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

The faster they get the money the better? Just a hunch. :D

Jimmy Agates and gary191265 like this.
  3. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

I wonder how many people will get an invite to the 'special' play through of the new album in June? Only offered to people who bought the delux box by 12 May. I wonder how many will have bought it in the 4 days?? Fingers crossed for myself and any other hoffmanites!

AlanDistro likes this.
  4. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

I ordered this today and won't listen to the new single until the whole album is out.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  5. ThmsFrd

ThmsFrd Forum Resident

I really expected the ltd edition to sell much faster.

6. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

They used to say what SW/PT limited editions were actually limited to, which doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

They never sold out THAT quickly though.

7. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I wish I could be so strong! I also picked up the Marillion box and U2 box. I was thinking that a nice stretch of no deluxe sets would have been welcome to my pocket book.

8. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I have actually been thinking the motivation behind this album this to make it accessible to the masses.
    Perhaps put a few bucks in his pocket.
    And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

ponkine likes this.
  9. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I was thinking the same!

10. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

I know some of the earlier limited books were actually ''limited'' to a set number (Anestheize for example) but the recent solo album ones are still limited to a degree but no figure given. My guess is they manufacture enough to cover pre-orders and a little more for oversell/damages and some to sell at shows and then it's gone for good. Suppose more of a timed edition really.

gary191265 likes this.
  11. gary191265

Which is probably why Anesthetize is fetching 3 or 4 times what H.C.E. is on the used market. They also used to be cloth-bound books and just 'feel' more expensive.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  12. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Mainstream airplay? I don't claim to understand what kinds of music breaks through to the masses these days, but I have a really hard time seeing this. It's too weighty in its themes for easy accessibility and it's also too long to be a hit. Wilson has a devoted following, but I don't see him crossing over to the mainstream in a big way at this stage of his career, but I guess stranger things have been known to happen.

13. Tor33rpm

Tor33rpm Take Me There....

Pre-ordered!

14. ThmsFrd

ThmsFrd Forum Resident

Hm, that's true. The Insurgentes 4xLP book was limited to 1.000, if I remember correctly. And I have one :D

15. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

Does anybody know how many different pressings there will be for the vinyl?

16. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

There seems to be talk of colour vinyl, but I only found one place in Germany who don't ship outside

17. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

18. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

Interesting. I just wanted to make sure the copy I'm ordering from Amazon is the 45 RPM 180 gram edition since Amazon doesn't list specifics yet.

19. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I'll end up buying this, like I have the other solo albums out of a sense of obligation; but I do wish he would just cut the crap and put PT back together pronto.

20. IrishWombat

IrishWombat Member

21. gary191265

I doubt it would sound much different, other than a keyboard player that plays textures rather than scales.

denesis likes this.
  22. gary191265

geddyfleaharris likes this.
  23. geddyfleaharris

geddyfleaharris Forum Resident

Lightbulb Sun was my entry point into Steven Wilson. A guy at work lent me the CD and "Shesmovedon" got stuck in my head. From there, the rest of the album....and from there I was so hooked I literally bought everything the guy had done to that point within a six-month timeframe.

Vanja, Northwind and LivingForever like this.
  24. geddyfleaharris

geddyfleaharris Forum Resident

I can't wait for this release! Huge fan.

Northwind likes this.
  25. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

I caved....

Solvethebox and gary191265 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.