To the fans of the 70s run of "Columbo": ever noticed a deep change as of Season 6?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ParloFax, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ParloFax

ParloFax Senior Member Thread Starter

It did have some clunkers even in the early seasons. But even so, a clunker would be saved by the grace of a great murderer actor!

Another problem with the show is, as explained in the excellent article/interview above, the network decided at some point, against the advice of the producers, to stretch the duration to 2 hours. Big mistake for the formula! So anecdotal scenes, useless to the plot, were dropped in to fill the gap. One otherwise fantastic entry which suffered this change the most is "A Friend In Deed", starring Michael McGuire and Richard Kiley as accomplice murderers, with its ludicrous helicopter chase (which, on top of it, goes against the canons of what distinguishes the series).

2. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

The last episode of season 5 (Last Salute to the Commodore) is somewhat strange and uncharacteristic, as if it was shot to a script originally meant for some other series altogether. I've never had any problems with episodes in seasons 6 & 7 - they are all very good, in my opinion (The Bye-Bye Sky High IQ Murder Case is a particular favourite of mine). The later episodes are problematic, though. I haven't seen them all - I gave up watching the series after too many deeply disappointing episodes (the worst - and the last for me - being Rest in Peace, Mrs Columbo).

3. ParloFax

Absolutely true! I detest the interminable yoga session (the entire sequence in fact)! And all those assembled characters answering questions and giving specific clue/reactions to the lieutenant's questions, like in some Agatha Christie story...

LSTTC is a total formula killer! Last Salute to Columbo, yeah...

DesertChaos likes this.
  4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

+1

5. JakeM

JakeM Senior Member

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that "Last Salute to the Commodore" is directed by Patrick McGoohan. Worth checking out for anyone who's a fan of The Prisoner.

DesertChaos likes this.
  6. ParloFax

I didn't mention it, out of respect for his memory...

7. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

So many great shows though. Loved Johnny Cash, what a great actor.

turnersmemo likes this.
  8. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

My favorite all time show and I still watch my dvds regularily. Just like the episodes from the 70's, there are some great ones from the 80's-90's and some real stinkers. Butterfly In Shades of Grey with William Shatner and Death Hits the Jackpot with Rip Torn, from the later years, are as good as any of the best episodes from the 70's imo. You just have to weed through them, and note your favorites as you go, for future viewing. Pretty much true of any series that ran a long time. It did have a tendency to run very hot to cold from episode to episode, depending on the guest and plot. There is a blu ray box set available from Japan and I hear its stunning, but at $400 it might as well not exist for me. I hope Universal issues it here. I have received great enjoyment with all my Columbo dvds!

Juggsnelson and turnersmemo like this.
  9. ParloFax

Cash was a surpriginly good actor in this one. He had lots of lines to deliver in some scenes - the one where he is sitting on his couch for instance, trying to "help" Columbo with his "loose end problem" - and he is totally convincing! I say surprisingly because for some reason, most musicians seem to me almost genetically like terrible actors...

Sneaky Pete and turnersmemo like this.
  10. ParloFax

Two of the "modern" ones stand out for me. The one where two college students kill their teacher, and the one where a lawyer kills his mistress, a young singer, an episode featuring none other than Little Richard as himself, singing in a nightclub!

11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Columbo Goes to College and Murder of a Rock Star. Both episodes are at the top of my favorites list. Really, there were quite a few very good episodes during the reboot era! If you rewd these posts you would get the impression they aren't very good, but Imwould wholeheartedly disagree.

turnersmemo likes this.
  12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I came across a site which rates all the episodes from top, decent, worst and trash. I find myself mostly in agreement with the ratings. Here is the site.

Pete Puma, ParloFax and Juggsnelson like this.
  13. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

McGoohan had several great appearances on Columbo. I was especially fond of the one where he was the military school commander (By Dawn's Early Light - Season 4) - he really played that role to perfection.

14. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

I really like "Columbo Goes to College" too. At first it seems like some cheap try at getting some "hipster" red into the show but it's much better than that. That one short scene where the two kids are mocking Columbo and he overhears them...that look Peter Falk gives, like "I know you guys did it and I'm going to get you" is just perfect.

Pete Puma and Lost In The Flood like this.
  15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Ridiculous list....as most lists like that are since its so subjective. I agree with most of the top episodes, but many of the titles on the worst list are some of my favorites. My wife and I would agree Death Hits the Jackpot with Rip Torn is the best of the newer ones, and its on the worst list! Fun to read though..thanks for the post.

Pete Puma likes this.
  16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yes it is....except I never quite knew how exactly he knew at that point. Lots of great scenes in that episode, and well cast too!

17. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Not one of my favorite episodes but I agree that McGoohan did a great job on that one!

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

How can it be ridiculous if you yourself acknowledge that it's a subjective judgment? You may not agree with it, but that's your subjective judgment. I posted it because I found it useful in the past (and with which I agreed for the most part) and thought it might be useful to others.

ParloFax likes this.
  19. ParloFax

I agree entirely with you!

About that list, I too basically agree with it, but I would have given a push to "Short Fuse" and "By Dawn's Early Light" from Decent to Top, and a push to "Greenhouse Jungle" and "Lady In Waiting" from Worst to Decent.

"Short Fuse" wins hands down the Best Original Soundtrack of a Columbo episode (...in my very own subjective book!), by Gil Mellé. Also Dave Grusin for "Prescription: Murder", coming close. Another jazzman, Oliver Nelson, wrote a good one too, used for instance in "Greenhouse Jungle" (IIRC).

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
    Deesky likes this.
  20. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

If we didn't allow subjective lists here, this forum might shut down.:)

Vidiot and Jrr like this.
  21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I thanked you for the list and found it entertaining. Amazing how people around here can get their feathers ruffled so easily. I basically acknowledged exactly what you said.

tonyc likes this.
  22. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I was surprised that they never mentioned the movie "Prescription Murder" that as far as I know introduced Falk and the character. It was a terrific movie like most things that Gene Barry starred in. Falk played Columbo with a subtlety that seemed to be missing the longer that series was on. I never really enjoyed the show as much as the original movie.

ParloFax likes this.
  23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

And I like how the episode was paced. A great start. I got to meet Peter and have a signed laserdisc box set. Seemed like a very nice man. His wife was there too. I thought she did pretty well when she was in an episode. I really liked her in A Trace of Murder and Murder of a Rock Star. Two more solid 80's episodes imo.

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

You didn't ruffle my feathers, it's just that your argument seemed a little illogical, that's all. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Jrr likes this.
  25. Thanks for the link. I disagree with several of his choices (we all have our favorites). How 'Rest in Peace Mrs Columbo' (The bottom of the barrel IMO) can be in the same group as a great like 'Etude to Black' is beyond me. The 'Lady in Waiting' at the bottom of this list seems out of place too. I would also place 'Butterfly in Shades of Grey' (the Shatner 90's episode) at the top of the list of the ABC reboot episodes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.