To tube or not to tube that is the phono question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Gregp, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gregp

Gregp Member Thread Starter

i am trying to decide on a phono amp for a well tempered Amadeus gta on the way. So system will be

Guru QM 10 > Naim Unitiqute 2 > Phono ??? >Well Tempered Amadeus.

I haven't had a system without a tube stage in a long time and I only was running CDs with an Audio Note DAC mk II sig, that brought some of that analog inner details.

My budget is about $700. Looking to get more of that a quality but afraid that going all solid state through the chain that it will nit be able to produce the inner detail and emotion of the artist. However I am totally Green to Vinyl so I don't know the characteristics of a Solid State Souce like I do CD. I know a SS source was very rare that I liked with CD playback.

Some options( feel free to chime in with others)

Puresound P10 ( used)
    Project DS X
    Project Box X
    Lounge Audio LCR MkIII
    Lounge Audio LCR Gold
    Dynavector P7 (used)
    Rega Aria (used)
    Well Tempered RIAA
    Park Audio Puffin

2. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

You'll get dozens of different submissions and I personally doubt it'd be very helpful.

I'd suggest dropping by a dealer with both types of gear and do some listening tests so you can determine that yourself.

I'd instead recommend getting the very best phono preamp you can get for the amount you're willing to spend, regardless of type. You'd also have to indicate whether you're using an MM or MC cart and whether you're leaning towards using MC carts in the future if you currently aren't.

Personally, I think way too much is made of whether tubes are used or not. There's some great-sounding gear of both types. We all have our own preferences and what I consider to sound great might be different than what you'd prefer so in the end, you'd have to take a chance regardless that you'll enjoy what you end up with.

To moot, I tried a Chinook but didn't like its presentation compared to the cheaper Lehmann Decade which is SS. The latter sounded better, easily. Tube-rolling would change how the Chinook sounds but how much can be debated. In the end, I sold the Chinook and was happy to stick with the Decade. I've since tried a Parasound JC3 Jr which is another SS-based phono preamp that also sounds very good... and better than the Chinook, IMHO, and in my system.

4. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Question - are you planning on running Moving Coil cartridges as well as Moving Magnet? A couple of your choices are MM only, just checking your requirements.

Next question - are you experienced with Tube, or would this be a first? Then, are you planning anything else in the signal path (preamp, amp) to be tube, or just the phono pre? I saw you are currently using a SS integrated, and just checking if that stays long term?

5. jlykos

jlykos Forum Resident

A lot of this depends on what cartridge you are using. If you give us that information, we can offer some better information. Matching the phono stage to the cartridge is more important than matching it to the turntable.

If your budget is around $700, I would stick with solid state. Most "tube" phono preamps around this price range are tube in name only, in that they use a tube buffer stage to color the sound, not to do anything really worthwhile.

6. Gregp

I was planning on the Dynavector 10x5 I believe is MC.

7. Strat-Mangler

It's a HOMC cart. That's different. That means it's an MC cart but with a high output, meaning it won't need as much gain as a regular MC cart to be amplified properly. Because of this, unless you want to leave the option open to use MC carts in the future, you could continue to use MM-only preamps which can routinely cost less than ones offering more gain.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  8. Gregp

In the near future I am keeping the Unitiqute 2 but may upgrade to a Higher End Naim or Even Tube, but no change in the near future. So keeping SS for the foreseeable future in the pre/amp section.

9. souladdikt

souladdikt Forum Resident

The 53db gain with the Tavish should work nicely with the Dynavector 10x5. Waitlist is long. I joined an 8 week list and took delivery after 10 weeks.

SandAndGlass and HiFi Guy like this.
  10. Strat-Mangler

I was referring to cart types. Not SS versus tubes for the rest of your gear. Please quote me when replying. I might otherwise miss your reply and it's also unclear who you're addressing.

11. Strat-Mangler

That looks like too much gain. 42db is probably all that is needed.

SandAndGlass and souladdikt like this.
  12. Gregp

Strat-Mangler,

I really don't know if I would switch back and forth, I am going to say yes. I am very much a newbie to Vinyl and I need to read up more on care, and table setup.

I do have an interest in the Audio Note IQ series of Carts (MM) but I don't know how they will match with the Well Tempered? Someone discouraged it but would look to hear other opinions?

13. Tablet Man

Tablet Man Forum Resident

Take a look at the Transcendent Sound Phono, a fantastic tube Phono that's just seen off an Avid Pulsus and Rega Aria in my system

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.