Toad the Wet Sprocket Fear and Dulcinea Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MisterH, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterH

MisterH Forum Resident Thread Starter

According to Toad's Facebook page both albums were remastered by Eric Boulanger and co at Culver City, CA's Bakery Mastering. 180 gram 1/2 speed pressings. $50 a piece so they are not cheap. Looks like they are limited editions only available from the band's website and on their summer tour.

Dan C and Hep Alien like this.
  2. dualstacker

dualstacker Forum Resident

Just ordered Dulcinea. Very happy to finally have this album on vinyl. Not sure the seller on ebay from Germany who periodically has it up for sale for $400 will be happy though.

3. MisterH

Exactly. I have an original that I'm going to sell just to try and cover the cost of these. Didn't have Fear on vinyl yet and I decided I wanted the set. The band hasn't said how limited but they are selling more than they anticipated.

4. dualstacker

Was able to find Fear a few years ago at a relatively decent price but Dulcinea much more rare apparently. Not sure if the reissue of Fear would be much of an improvement over the original. I'm tempted though. Would be nice to know how many will be pressed.

5. MisterH

Yeah original pressings of Dulcinea from Europe are stupid rare. I know I won't get back what I paid for it but, like I said, I wanted the set and no reason to have two copies.

6. dualstacker

Looks like we are the only two interested in this so far. I will probably end up ordering Fear also. Curious how the band ended up securing the rights to press these from Sony. Wish Sony would license more of their 90's and 2000's albums back out to the artists so they could produce their own vinyl.

7. MisterH

Haha. Just on this forum. Play grading my original Dulcinea as we speak. Lot's of interest on the bands FB page and Instagram account. First two times they put Dulcinea up on their website it sold out. Had to jump on it when I saw it back up this morning. That's why I ended up splurging for the original. Glen Phillips had told a fellow forum member that reissuing them wouldn't be cost effective. I guess they got something worked out with Columbia. Might have something to do with why the reissues are so expensive. I'll agree that there are a lot of great 90's albums still yet to be released on vinyl, like most of John Mellencamp's 90s output. He released 6 albums, not including greatest hits, in the 90s and only 2 of them have ever been released on vinyl. Better than Ezra's Deluxe is finally getting a vinyl release.

Hep Alien and Szeppelin75 like this.
  8. dualstacker

Makes sense about Columbia with the 50 dollar price tag. I've seen that Run Out Groove is possible putting out Ezra's Friction Baby but haven't seen anything regarding Deluxe. That would be great to see. Another record that would be nice to see in a similar theme is Lemon Parade by Tonic. A slightly more obscure band called October Project recorded two albums for Epic (a Sony label) in the 90's. Would love to see those on vinyl.

9. MisterH

Here ya go. Better Than Ezra: 'Deluxe' Vinyl Reissue

10. dualstacker

Thanks. Just ordered one. Turning in to expensive day.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  11. MisterH

Haha no one said this was a cheap hobby.

12. recordman33

recordman33 Forum Resident

While I might pick up Dulcinea, my Glen Phillips autographed Fear is good enough for now. :D

Hep Alien and MisterH like this.
  13. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Excellent news- both LP's ordered:righton:
    FYI Tonic released an acoustic set of Lemon Parade a year or so ago. Its a nice set but I would love to have the original LP finally pressed to vinyl- great record! Thanks for the heads up guys-much appreciated.
    ATB,
    Mark

dualstacker likes this.
  14. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I love both of these albums. I'm not a vinyl guy, so these aren't for me, but its so rare to find a Sprocket thread to participate in, I had to say something. :D

15. Vinyl Richie

Vinyl Richie Forum Resident

I picked these up; but $120 combined after tax and shipping is very steep for new vinyl.

Hep Alien and Szeppelin75 like this.
  16. I would really like these as well. I can't justify with my added $.75 Canadian dollar to US dollar exchange rate though. Too steep for my blood.

The graphic on the website shows these are 1 record sets? Unless it's from Intervention Records, double nope.

wickedwatson likes this.
  17. MisterH

No problem. I searched on here to see if there was a thread already and couldn’t find one so I made one to let people know. To answer another post yes they are expensive but originals are very pricy (should come down some with the reissues), these are limited and people are already trying to flip them. The question is how limited. The band hasn’t said only just that they are limited.

18. wickedwatson

wickedwatson Forum Resident

Running time on each album about 47 minutes. A little bit snug for one disc. Not terrible but definitely not ideal. Cause for hesitation.

Geee! likes this.
  19. Papaljuice

Papaljuice Well-Known Member

I spoke with Glen when he was in St. Augustine back in April. I hit him up about possible reissues with his solo stuff. He told me there would be no represses of his solo stuff because the costs was so high. He told me his costs to press vinyl was like $21 or $22 and he didnt make any money off of them. He also told me that night that the vinyl reissues of Fear and Dulcinea were going to be reissued in the next month or two. He wasn't lying.

Im looking forward to the reissues. I have both Fear and Dulcinea releases signed (below). I am looking forward to comparing the sound of the old ones to the new ones. I hope they live up to the hype that Dean posted on Instagram and Facebook. I do like the sound of my vinyl of these two albums.

Toad The Wet Sprocket - Dulcinea
    Toad The Wet Sprocket - Fear

Hep Alien likes this.
  20. MisterH

Didn't know that Glen was in St. Augustine in April. Bummed that I miss him. Live close enough to St. Augustine, Fl. Headed back there again in Sept. to see Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit.

21. Somehow, I assumed they were longer.

22. MisterH

Got my shipping notification today. Some people over on the forums at Vinyl Collective have already received their copies. Anyone on here have theirs yet?

23. Papaljuice

Papaljuice Well-Known Member

Got my notification on Friday too. However, the package hasn't moved yet.

24. Vinyl Richie

Vinyl Richie Forum Resident

I haven’t even received a notification yet.

25. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

Is there any information on the pressing plant they used for these releases? I would hesitate at a $50 price tag, if for instance some outfit like Rainbo was used? I am lucky to own a copy of the Netherlands' vinyl issue of 'Dulcinea' which sounds very good considering that there is a lot of music there for a single disc. I even remember multiple copies of the vinyl in the 'dollar bins' here locally at one stage, but I didn't buy them. 'Dulcinea' is great record and is deserving of the full audiophile treatment, in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.