Today is "Spider-Man 2" day!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dan C, Jun 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

My 11-year-old daughter has been literally counting the days for months now, and finally the day is here.
    She woke up awfully early this morning. Whew, going to be a long day!

We bought our advance tickets yesterday and it's showing at a fine theater.
    Luckily, even in this modest town, we have an antique movie palace that's still single screen and has been recently fitted with a massive curved screen and state-O-the-art audio.

Anyway, the movie's getting amazing reviews and I'm looking forward to it almost as much as my daughter. :)

7:00 tonight, it's Spider-Man time!

Dan C

2. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I saw a midnight show. All I have to say is:

WOW! :bigeek:

I thought it was even better than the first. It had an excellent story with truly amazing action scenes. Ebert and Roper called it the best superhero film made. They weren't exaggerating!

Enjoy the film!! I'll have to see it again!

Sean

3. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Cool beans! Love Spidey, and am looking forward to seeing it immensely.

Evan

4. Pug

Doctor Octopus was SO KEWL!!!!

Sean

5. Dan C

I conveniently failed to tell my daughter about the midnight showing. As far as she knows, 7 tonight is the only available time for us. And today I'm well rested at work as well. :) I can't wait!!!

Dan C

6. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Rottentomatoes: 96% fresh.
    It's already been called the best reviewed film of 2004, among other things.

I. CAN'T. WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. RDK

RDK Active Member

Can't wait. I'm gonna predict $180 m through Monday (nice 6-day holiday weekend for it!). Wouldn't shock me to see it hit $200 m. Should break a few records.

8. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

The marketing machine is in overdrive. last night at my local supermarket I saw about a dozen "Spiderman" editions of food products, plus novelties.

9. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Was it released today because of the holiday weekend?

I'm not a fan of superhero films, but between you guys and the reviews, I just may have to take the kids to see it. My older daughter likes Spiderman, but my younger one may get a bit overwhelmed by it. Depends on the rating (and what Screenit says) before I take them to see it, though.

10. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

The reviews have been almost universally positive. 4 (of 4)-stars in USA Today, also very upbeat in NYTimes.

If it busts the long-wknd record it will be pretty impressive, since July 4 is more of a traditonal outdoors/fireworks holiday.

But, it's a can-do kinda franchise, so I'd say it's got a really good shot.

doug

11. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Guy on the radio here this morning gave it four stars. His first four star rating of the year.
    Loved it.
    Maybe I won't wait for DVD.
    :shh:
    Peace-
    Norm

12. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

I thought 1 was OK, 2 is getting universally good reviews. Batman (the 1st one) is the best superhero movie of all time (then again, I'm a Batman fan moreso than Marvel stuff). The new Batman flick has real potential as well, due out next summer. Now THAT I can't wait for.

13. Pug

Spiderman 2 is better than 1 IMO. I think you ought check it out.

I actually think Batman is one of the worse superhero movies of all time, and I'm not only more of a DC fan than a Marvel fan. I'm a Batman fan, over all other charatcers. I felt that Batman strayed too far form the comics.

Both the Spiderman and Xmen films follow the comics very well so I have no complaints about them.

Sean

14. StyxCollector

The first Batman movie was pretty true to the comics (which BTW I collected for nearly 20 years), and like Spiderman, made an amalgam of some things (i.e. Jack Napier and the Joker origin). The other Burton movie was OK, not great, but the two non-Burton movies really took Batman too far out and was more like the campy 60s show.

I've heard Spiderman geeks complain about the inaccuracies of the Spiderman movie (i.e. Mary Jane is more of an amalgam of Gwen Stacy and MJ, the origin was altered a little, the web is done through him not a web shooter, etc.).

Batman was much more true to the origin than Spiderman was.

15. Pug

The problem I had with Batman for starters was the Joker was not the one who killed Bruce Wayne's parents. It was a man named Joe Chill. I liked the fact it was a random act of violence that created Batman. I don't like the idea of Batman & the Joker creating each other. Too much of a plot gimmick. Also Batman is not a killer. In Burton's film, he blows up the Joker's hideout killing everyone inside. That's why I don't feel that the movie was faithful to the comic. I liked the look of Gotham, that was about it. The rest of the films go downhill. Also, the origin of the Joker is different than the film. He didn't start as a criminal.

I think the changes in Spiderman make sense. Back in the 60s when Stan Lee created the Marvel Universe, nulcear energy was a very scary to most people. That's why most of Marvel's charaters are created via radioactive accidents. Now, people are afraid of genetics, thus Spiderman (and the Hulk) were modernized and were created genetically, not radioactively. Re: the web shooters. Come on I don't think a high school kid could engineer web shooters like in the comics. I think Spidey having the webbing inside makes more sense.

To me the Spidey changes made sense. I though the changes in Batman didn't.

That's all IMHO of course.

Sean

16. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

I liked the first Batman film, and what they did in terms of "comic consolidation," but it came up shy of being a truly great film. Dramatically, it was a tad inert, as most of the performances were merely adequate, and Burton's pacing wasn't quite as tight or effective as it needed to be in a few places.

I'm more of a Marvel geek who didn't mind changes in regards to the X-Men films or Spidey (1). I also think that directors Singer (X-Men) and Raimi (Spidey) simply created more effective comic translations to the screen than Burton, as far as *movie* storytelling. No knock against Burton, I absolutely love some of his other films.

Superman: The Movie may still be may favorite adaptation of a "big time" comic superhero, though.

17. StyxCollector

See, I know that, but I also know for movies some changes happen. I was OK with it linking the fate of Bruce Wayne. And if you've read the alternate universe DC stuff (such as the Miller stuff), Batman has killed, so while it's not intrinsic to Batman, he has come close a few times.

Again, yes, Joker started out as a criminal named teh Red Hood who swam through chemicals and was changed, but again, for the film, they did take an OK take in my opinion.

We can agree to disagree. To me, Spidey/Parker had the power to climb walls, et al., but the fact he wasn't "all spider" was why I liked him along with Batman since he was human with some powers, versus, say a Superman who was all superpowers. The change STILL doesn't work for me. And the whole morphing of origins, how the changed Green Goblin ... not my thing.

Was Batman perfect? No, but IMHO better than Spiderman 1.

18. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Interesting discussion. For the record, I liked a lot Spiderman I (though I feel I was overxposed to it via DVD presentations everywhere), but I do consider Batman to be the best Superhero movie ever made. There's something about Burton's films I automatically like - the dark, moody atmosphere, the beleaguered hero, the endings without a real sense of closure, the internal conflicts... true, it was not too faithful to the comics, and I understand that may bother many people. But I felt it has been the only time I've ever seen a superhero movie and came away with so much empathy for the main character.

Spidey 2 looks as if it could make Batman #2, though... and Batman is my favourite superhero of all time!

19. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

I caught a midnight show last night and all I can say is... W-O-W! This is a highly successful attempt at bringing a comic book to life on screen. The thing I enjoyed most about the film is how it revels in its comic book roots and celebrates them. It is VERY comic bookish, but not campy. It is exciting, funny, dramatic, powerful and touching... much like the early Stan Lee - Steve Ditko Marvel Comics that inspired it. Alfred Molina complements the main cast beautifully and turns in a bravura performance as Doc Ock. The action sequences are dizzying and spectacular!

What I was totally unprepared for was the movie's unpredictable storyline and the big surprises it doles out. The 3rd act (where most of these genre films fall apart) is dynamite and definitely sets the stage for a sequel with the introductions of at least three potential villains. Bring it on! :edthumbs:

20. Burningfool

Burningfool Just Stay Alive

Agreed. It's quite a picture. My 11 year old son is already looking forward to the inevitable sequel (the film sets it up quite nicely and surprisingly.)

Get thee to the multiplex!

Chris

21. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

I didnt see the first one; will I be lost if I go see this one? Superhero movies aren't really my type, but geez, these reviews may make me go see it.

22. Totti

Totti New Member

I didn't like it, my 12 yr old son did. The computer generated action sequences made me feel I was watching a video game. Very silly dialogs, soap opera plot, boy loses girl, she is going to marry somebody else but in the end she comes back to him ala "The graduate". Ever wonder why brides/grooms never call weddings off like a day or two in advance and leave the other waiting at the altar??

23. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

The first movie is quickly recapped (comic book panel style) over the opening credits and, believe it or not, does a good job of providing enough information to get you up to speed for part 2.

Gary

24. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Loved it!

:goodie:

I saw a daytime showing earlier today. It rocks! Raimi's pal and sidekick Bruce Campbell has another cameo! I feel the story is the real star here (why can't all movies have an off-the-charts script like this one?), and that saying a lot...that and J.K. Simmons. He has enough screen time to make you laugh out loud. (He was pretty funny in "The Lady Killers," as the IBS guy.) If you've seen the movie, you'll also remember a funny production back-story in-joke about Tobey. I almost got the joke when I saw it on the screen, but when I got home it just hit me! Oh, Alfred was great and so was Kristen (sigh. :love: ) Oh, Tobey's not too shabby either.

25. Dan C

Saw it tonight in a huge sold out auditorium.

Absolutely totally unbelievably INCREDIBLE!!! :righton: :goodie:
    This movie easily lives up to the hype and even manages to exceed the highest expectations. I'm speechless!
    We're just trying to figure out when we can see it again.
    What a ride!!!

Dan C

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.