Today is "Spider-Man 2" day!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dan C, Jun 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I agree on Bad CGI. It really looked like "cut scenes" on a Playstation 2 game. Plus the fact we had duels between characters where NO ONE's lips moved made it look like Power Rangers to me.

This one was much better IMO.

2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

It is better in 2, not that it was that bad in 1, which I really enjoy! But I was a comic geek, so.........

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I saw the movie. Excellent. Well balanced film. Great story, action and flow. See it!

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

We saw the film last night.

Wife sez: It was OK. The first one was better. Soundtrack seemed good. Peter Parker deserves a raise, though... ;)

Gary sez: Enjoyable. The funniest part was the first "screen kiss" in the movie and a little kid in the audience went "eeeewwwww". :D

5. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Saw Spidey 2 last night with the family. We all loved it. It is a well done fun movie.

Best scenes: At the end of the train sequence when all the NYers in the train unite to defend their Spidey.

also: Late in the movie when Peter Parker tries to web sling but falls to the ground....ouch....my back! My back hurt too!!:D

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I don't agree, mainly because of the way it utilized Jack Napier as the one who killed Bruce's parents. That was a way over the top touch in my opinion, even though I think Bob Kane said he wished he'd thought of it. He didn't, and I didn't like it - it wrapped things up in too neat a bow.

My only objection about Spidey's movie origins came from the manner in which he fails to stop the guy who kills Uncle Ben. In the movie, Peter’s refusal to stop the criminal seems more justified. After the promoter screws Peter out of the money he earned, it makes sense that he won’t lift a finger to help the jerk. Audiences cheered when Peter tosses the promoter’s sleaziness back in his face, something that wouldn’t have occurred if the film kept the comic version of the tale intact. The presentation makes Peter’s guilt seem less substantial. Sure, I understand that he’d feel very upset that the guy he let escape killed Uncle Ben, but this slaying appeared less related to Peter’s arrogance; the movie made his inaction come across as much more acceptable.

I just got back from "Spidey 2" which I liked, but not as much as the first one. But hey, I thought "Batman Returns" was the best of that bunch!

7. Oatsdad

IIRC, in the very early days of the Batman comics, he DID kill. I recall being bothered by his violent tendencies when I first saw the original flick in 1989, but when I delved into the comics, I found out this was true to his very early times...

8. Oatsdad

I agree on both accounts. The movie set up the "bystanders save Spidey" bit and then totally undermined it in a delightful way. After the first flick - in which the New Yawkers DO save Spidey's bacon - we expect the same thing, but the bystanders prove totally useless! :laugh:

9. Oatsdad

After the way this film set it up, I don't see anyway the next one can't use Harry as the villain - or at least A villain. I mean, at the end of the first flick, fans realized we got some clues for Harry following in daddy's footsteps, but this one makes it radically more inevitable.

As for Connors becoming the Lizard, initially I thought that wasn't likely just because Dylan Baker doesn't seem like someone we'd see as a supervillain. However, I probably would have thought the same about Molina before he got cast, so what do I know?

Interesting how many potential villains the flick sets up - with John Jameson in the mix, we have three just from this movie! "Batman" only set up Harvey Dent, and even then, it oddly changed the actor who played the role when his villainy emerged...

10. Oatsdad

Wouldn't he have to know that PP is Spidey to have the motive? Maybe Harry will tip him off and the two will fight Spidey in tandem as the League of Those Jilted by Mary Jane! :D

11. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

Good point, Colin. I wasn't thinking specifically about he and Spidey, rather the fact that he was jilted at the alter by MJ might be enough to send him over the edge, so to speak.

Gary

12. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

Well, he also carried a gun in the early Bob Kane days, which not many people know. DC Direct actually issued a First Appearance Batman figure that is dead on. Anyway, in the post-Miller period, Batman really has gone back to his darker roots and at times has gone off the handle and lost it. The 70s he was most certainly a detective, but the new/old Batman has more of the core essence if you ask me, and I love the 70s Bronze Age era. The Joker Fish comics (which were also the inspiration for the 1st movie) are some of my favorite of all time, as well as "The Killing Joke" graphic novel.

People tend to remember Batman in the era of when they grew up and don't know complete history. Batman is supposed to be the brooding one who is a bit mysterious, and is on the edge of sanity and insanity at times. The more modern interpretations sometimes paint him as there being a fine line between the villians he fights and himself.

13. StyxCollector

I saw Spiderman 2 yesterday. Honestly, I don't see what the fuss is about. Actually, I found it more slow, plodding, and boring than the first one, which I liked better than the new installment. The story was fine, no major quibbles, and decent setups for the Lizard and Goblin redux, but I kept checking my watch. Most of it was pretty predictable to be honest, especially the ending (which I won't give away), and the whole MJ thing made my eyes roll back in my head. Like no one saw that coming!

I didn't like the way they changed the whole Doc Ock origin from the 60s a bit (the core was the same, tho - scientist working with dangerous materials, and chaos/explosion ensues, fusing tentacles to body), but whatever. Creative license. I also didn't like the whole neural thing where the tentacles were more snake-like, had eyes, etc. They were more "alive" than they should have been.

The CGI was still bad ... sorry for those who liked it. A bit better than the first, but still pretty darn bad.

I still don't buy Tobey McGuire as Spidey, but he's an OK Peter Parker.

On a scale of 10, it gets a solid 4 or 5 from me.

14. StyxCollector

I think moreso than any other hero/villian combo, arguably Batman and Joker will always be linked. I can see why they did that for the movie; they didn't link them in the animated series, but to be honest, it doesn't matter. The Joker is such a rich counterpart for Bats becuase he's arguably as smart, definitely crazier, and to some degree, represents what Bats could become if he let go of the sanity string. At least that's how I've always seen it.

Even in the Animated Series, some of the best episodes were Joker based (but not all). The Christmas one where Joker kidnaps Gordon, et al., is classic. Gotta love the loon!

15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I saw it on Saturday. I enjoyed it, and I loved seeing all of the iconic Spidey moments writ large on the big screen such as the battles with Doc Ock. I got pretty tired with how far they took the "impotence" angle w.r.t. even his vision blurring to his old prescription, but there was enough action and humor to make me ride it out through the slow spots, such as the "I'm back! I'm back! ...[crash]... My back! My back!" gag.

I don't think it was nearly as good as the first one, but I did have a good time, and technically, the big screen version of Doc Ock was much more visually satisfying than the big screen version of the Green Goblin. On the other hand, the character itself was written a bit weaker. I would have to resort to spoilers beyond what's given away in the trailers to explain my particular complaints.

Regards,

16. clayton

clayton Senior Member

My wife and I took our son and 7 of his friends there for his 11th birthday party, everyone loved it although the kids thought there was too much love story (yuck in their words)

17. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Sam Raimi said in an interview that, to him, the whole thing is a love story. It makes sense because MJ is really the glue that holds all the elements together. I saw it again the other day and this point really hit me---Sam Raimi is a genius.

It's a great time to be a Marvel fan.

18. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The only part that I thought was slightly over the top bordering on "R" territory was the rampage in the ER at the hospital.

I got concerned my 8 year old daughter would be afraid by the violence. Thats a scene that could have been gruesome if they wanted it to be....but luckily it just skirted that line.

19. Sput

Sput Boilerphile In Memoriam

I just saw Spiderman 2. Ladies and Gentlemen we have one of those movies that will withstand the test of time.

Bravo to the writers, directors and actors for an incredible motion picture experience.

This is the new Indiana Jones, Raiders of the Lost Ark. Could be better. Go ahead and see it. Tell yourself over and over that it's a comic book movie. It will not work. You'll love it.

20. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Glad you're with me on this one. I loved it. Plain and simple. Loved it!

21. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

It was pretty horrifying, I agree. It made me incredibly uncomfortable, but it wasn't gory. Remember that director Sam Rami got his start with low budget horror movies, and that ER scene reminds me of a terrifying bit with possessed tree roots, IIRC, in the first Evil Dead movie (haven't seen it in years).
    He knows how to freak out his audience when he has to. :eek: :)

Dan C

22. Sput

Sput Boilerphile In Memoriam

The young man that plays Spiderman is prefect in the role. You can't help but love him while feeling his emotions and pain. You root for him, smile for him and nearly cry for him. When a script and actor can make you feel so many emotions....it's Oscar nomination time.
    Sadly he will probably be overlooked.

23. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

I'm sure the Academy will overlook Toby Maguire as it's a superhero movie.

Sean

24. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

You and I are usually pretty close on movies, Ken, but we're far apart here. :( I loved the movie and thought it much, much better than the first one. There's a tenderness, even a childlike quality here that sets up the big action moments quite beautifully. (SLIGHT SPOILERS AHEAD)

All the loving homages to everything from Hamlet and The Merchant of Venice to The War of the Worlds, together with great diegesis-blending moments like the ones where MJ's lines in The Importance of Being Earnest respond to the situation with that boy-next-door, indicated tremendous wit and affection on the part of the filmmakers, at least in my view. I thought Raimi was pretty gutsy for making a smart, caring movie that wasn't frantically cut or written by committee.

25. nukevor

nukevor Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.