Todd Rundgren new SACD titles, mastered Kevin Gray

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Jack

Jack Senior Member Thread Starter

A Wizard, A True Star / Never before available on SACD. Mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio. Featured in 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die. 1 hybrid SACD housed in a Stoughton old style tip on gatefold jacket.
    Something/Anything - Never available on SACD. Mastered by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio. Features Billboard Pop Singles “Hello It’s Me,” “I Saw The Light,” “Couldn’t I Just Tell You” and “Wolfman Jack”. Ranked #173 on Rolling Stone’s 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. 2CD set (1SACD and 1CD), housed in a Stoughton old style tip on gatefold jacket.
    Coming January 12th. Both titles up at Bull Moose for pre-order.

clgoss77, jamesc, Dino and 17 others like this.
  2. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Yes!!!!!
    This along with Billy Squire Don't Say No, is Great news for SACD.

3. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Todd Rundgren - A Wizard, A True Star (Hybrid SACD) ***COMING SOON***

45th Anniversary Reissue

Never before available on SACD - the definitive sounding reissue of this landmark album

Mastered from the original stereo tapes by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio

Authored by Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center

All original packaging including insert

Stoughton old style tip-on gatefold jacket

Featured in 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die

Tracklisting:

1. International Feel
    2. Never Never Land
    3. Tic Tic Tic It Wears Off
    4. You Need Your Head
    5. Rock and Roll *****
    6. Dogfight Giggle
    7. You Don't Have To Camp Around
    8. Flamingo
    9. Zen Archer
    10. Just Another Onionhead/Dada Dali
    11. When the **** Hits the Fan/Sunset Blvd
    12. Le Feel Internacionale
    13. Sometimes I Don't Know What To Feel
    14. Does Anybody Love You?
    15. Medley: I'm So Proud / Ooh Baby Baby / La La Means I Love You / Cool Jerk
    16. Hungry For Love
    17. I Don't Want To Tie You Down
    18. Is It My Name?

Todd Rundgren - Something/Anything (Hybrid SACD) ***COMING SOON***

2 DISC SET (Full SACD program on Disc 1)

45th Anniversary Reissue

Never before available on SACD

Mastered from the original stereo tapes by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio

Authored by Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center

All original packaging including insert

Stoughton old style tip-on gatefold jacket

Ranked #173 on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time

This 1972 release, from Bearsville Records, was engineered by Todd Rundgren with a little help from his friends Rick Derringer, Billy Mundi, Moogy Klingman, Amos Garrett, Bugsy Maugh and Gene Didwiddie (both from the Butterfield Blues Band), the Hunt Brothers, Rick Vito, Jim Horn and the Brecker Brothers.

"Listening to Something/Anything? is a mind-altering trip in itself, no matter how many shamelessly accessible pop songs are scattered throughout the album, since each side of the double-record is a concept unto itself. The first is "a bouquet of ear-catching melodies"; side two is "the cerebral side"; on side three "the kid gets heavy"; side four is his mock pop operetta, recorded with a full band including the Sales Brothers. It gallops through everything -- Carole King tributes ("I Saw the Light"), classic ballads ("Hello It's Me," "It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference"), Motown ("Wolfman Jack"), blinding power pop ("Couldn't I Just Tell You"), psychedelic hard rock ("Black Maria"), pure weirdness ("I Went to the Mirror"), blue-eyed soul ("Dust in the Wind"), and scores of brilliant songs that don't fall into any particular style ("Cold Morning Light," "It Takes Two to Tango"). It's an amazing journey that's remarkably unpretentious. Rundgren peppers his writing with self-aware, self-deprecating asides, indulging his bizarre sense of humor with gross-outs ("Piss Aaron") and sheer quirkiness, such as an aural tour of the studio at the beginning of side two. There are a ton of loose ends throughout Something/Anything?, plenty of studio tricks, slight songs (but no filler), snippets of dialogue, and purposely botched beginnings, but all these throwaways simply add context -- they're what makes the album into a kaleidoscopic odyssey through the mind of an insanely gifted pop music obsessive." - Allmusic.com, Stephen Thomas Erlewine

"Something/Anything? stands as perhaps the finest work released yet this year a blend of all conceivable colors and moods into one cohesive and constantly moving statement. After years spent standing just out of reach of the spotlight, Todd Rundgren has made his grand entrance. Perhaps Something/Anything? was consciously designed not as an exposition of genius, but as Todd's way of calling attention to himself, of saying 'Hey, it's me. I'm finally here and this time you'll remember my name.' If that's the case, then this album's primary value is as an introduction to the man adn an invitation to his future. It's an invitation that nobody can afford to pass up. Todd Rundgren's name may be worth its weight in gold, but you'll soon discover that his music is worth at least twice as much." - Ben Edmonds, Creem Magazine, 1972

"I'm probably the whitest singer in the world," Rundgren told Rolling Stone in 1972. "I have no 'soul' in the usual sense - but I can do this great feminine falsetto." On this tour-de-force double album, Rundgren employs that falsetto on two great singles in the vein of Carole King: "I Say The Light" and "Hello It's Me." For the rest of the album, he demonstrates his complete command of the studio, playing almost all the instruments himself, experimenting with a kaleidoscope of rock genres and even delivering a monologue on what poorly made records sound like, complete with examples of hiss and hum.

Tracklisting:

1. I Saw The Light
    2. It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference
    3. Wolfman Jack
    4. Cold Morning Light
    5. It Takes Two To Tango (This Is for the Girls)
    6. Sweeter Memories
    7. Intro
    8. Breathless
    9. The Night the Carousel Burnt Down
    10. Saving Grace
    11. Marlene
    12. Song of the Viking
    13. I Went to the Mirror
    14. Black Maria
    15. One More Day (No Word)
    16. Couldn't I Just Tell You
    17. Torch Song
    18. Little Red Lights
    19. Overture - My Roots: Money (That's What I Want)/Messin' with the Kid
    20. Dust in the Wind
    21. Piss Aaron
    22. Hello It's Me
    23. Some Folks Is Even Whiter Than Me
    24. You Left Me Sore
    25. Slut

Yes! :wiggle:

4. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Odd that the SACD for Something/Anything is on one disc, and disc 2 contains the cd layer only for the second half (at least according to ElusiveDisc).

I'm in regardless. Just wish we could get Runt too.

varitone likes this.
  5. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

They did that for an Ella title as well IIRC. Not enough space for the entire release in Hi-rez and redbook on the SACD so the remainder of the redbook gets its own disc.

Galley likes this.
  6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

DAMN.

Thanks for the thread

7. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Holy cow! This is as exciting to me as the Hendrix SACD announcements!

Tuco and tmtomh like this.
  8. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

This is sweet news.

9. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

This is good news! Anxious to hear what a wizard can do with A Wizard.

Musicisthebest likes this.
  10. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Something/Anything?

:agree:/:thumbsup:

11. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

They are already listed on Amazon, same price as Acoustic Sounds plus you can get free shipping.

12. varitone

varitone Forum Resident

Wow. Interested. More than interested.

13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

More than just the news here, ya know what I wanna hear?

How somebody convinced Todd Rundgren somebody else should remaster these..! :eek:

Tuco and rednedtugent like this.
  14. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

In for a copy of Wizard for sure (and the post above that has the track listing omits Just One Victory, seems to just be a cut/paste issue so no worry there!)....S/A...maybe. Hope they do a few more after this.

15. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Well, OK. 2018 is already looking better than its predecessor.

16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I like everything about this except for the "tip on" packaging. The one disc I had in that style is so slim you can't even see it when its on the shelf between other discs, let alone actually read the spine. Wish these were in super jewel cases, but good news anyway.

Blair G. and mr.datsun like this.
  17. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Thanks! I put in an order for Wizard. I’m not sure I’d listen to S/A often enough to justify the SACD.

18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Doesn't make sense.

19. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

Goodbye, money.

Ghostworld likes this.
  20. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Wow, I have been hoping for a decent sounding version of AWATS since I fell in love with the album 35 years ago.

bluejimbop likes this.
  21. auralden

auralden Forum Resident

Great albums! Of the two, Wizard is the poorer sounding recording, but both are not great to begin with. I hope Gray will make them sound the best that they can be.

22. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Great news. Kinda obvious choices. Hope they sell enough that they can dig deeper into the catalog for more SACDs. Here's hoping the audio can be revived -- not terrific sounding records to begin with. I'll be ordering a pair in any case. ...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  23. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Great news!!!

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

S/A.
    Original USA LP is excellent, also MFSL gold cd.

driverdrummer and Gardo like this.
  25. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I'm in for both. Pre-ordered on Amazon.