Todd Rundgren new SACD titles, mastered Kevin Gray

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, Nov 22, 2017.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The USA first pressing sounded great on headphones in 1973, one of those select albums along with Electric Ladyland & Dark Side Of The Moon that complement the head trip.

rodentdog and Chris DeVoe like this.
  2. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

My AWATS SACD arrived today. It sounds far more organic than my previously preferred CD (from the Complete Bearsville Albums Collection). It sounds like there were a multitude of Todds all playing at the same time rather than 1 Todd playing countless overdubs, which is slightly ironic because the album has only 1 Todd & masses of overdubs.

I'd recommend this SACD to anyone with SACD player & who likes AWATS.

I wouldn't recommend this SACD to anyone who doesn't like AWATS as the album's core character remains the same; it just becomes slightly more enjoyable & accessible.

Veering off topic for a moment : - For anyone reading this who's curious about Todd & unsure where to start I'd recommend the Complete Bearsville Albums Collection. This contains 11 albums (13 CDs) of Todd at his most varied & creative & is very good value for money. You may not like everything (I struggle with Initiation) but there's bound to be something you'll enjoy.

3. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I thought the original never sounded "right" but the corrected version did.
    BTW, I order often from Bullmoose and I use my AMEX for all online purchases unless they don't take it.
    S/A arrived today but unfortunately my system is disassembled. :(

4. gershbec

gershbec Forum Resident

Dunno what it says about you, me or anyone else who loves this album (Tame Impala has covered International Feel live) but it's a top 10 album for me and my favorite Todd album. Listened to it on headphones all the time growing up.

5. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Another band that was influenced by AWATS was Daft Punk:

Merrick likes this.
  6. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

You lucky guys. I've been listening to AWATS since it was released but my hearing has degraded to the point I doubt I'd hear the difference between the SACD and Rhino CD. I do get a thrill from the fact that a better sounding AWATS exists 45 years after release!

7. George P

George P Notable Member

Picked up the new SACD of Something/Anything today but only had a second to compare the CD layer to the original Rhino CD. I was surprised to find that they sound very different. I will write more tomorrow when I have a chance to hear more.

8. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

Anxious to see hear how it compares to the long OOP Mofi release as well....

pdenny likes this.
  9. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

And the Chris Bellman mastered Rhino LP.

SteelyNJ likes this.
  10. George P

George P Notable Member

OK, I just compared the first few tracks of the original Rhino CD to the redbook layer of the new Kevin Gray SACD. I always thought original CD sounded good, but listening more critically today, I find that it has too much bass and not enough mid and high frequencies. This gives the overall sound a murky, distant and somewhat dull quality. The redbook layer of the new SACD sounds much clearer, with less (and tighter) bass, balanced tonality, more brilliant on top and more forward midrange.

Another superb mastering from Kevin Gray!

11. bellbrass

bellbrass Forum Resident

I listened to the SACD layer of A Wizard, A True Star yesterday. It sounds wonderful. I didn't bother with an A/B with my Edsel or my Rhino redbook; it clearly sounded better. I have been listening to this album since I first bought it on vinyl circa 1976, and I think I have all (or most) of the CD masterings. This one is the best so far. Can't wait for Something / Anything to arrive.

12. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

My Something/Anything arrived today. There's a far greater improvement between this & my CD from The Complete Bearsville Studio Albums than there is between the AWATS SACD & the CD from the box set.

The CD of Something/Anything sounds flat & lifeless in comparison to the SACD with a lot of fine treble detail missing on the CD. The extra treble detail on the SACD doesn't make make it sound too bright, just more natural & enjoyable. A very big recommendation from me.

On the inside of the gatefold sleeve of the SACD there's this quote "This product is provided, as is, without any express or implied warranties". ??????? This lawyer speak doesn't appear on the AWATS SACD.

Does anyone know why a company called Analog Spark is issuing SACDs? Not that I'm complaining.

George P and lonelysea like this.
  13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Glad i still have my MFSL gold cd.

14. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

It’s really good, but I’m still interested to hear Kevin’s work on this album. There are too many releases this month, so I’m going to get these in a couple weeks.

15. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I like the sound of my MFSL Something/Anything, too, but I was disappointed recently to see how digitally 'louded out' it is. It still sounds very good, but certainly not as dynamic as it could be. Still, I will probably not bother with the SACD.

16. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

What do you mean by “louded out”?

17. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Brick-wall limited. Not as bad as many CDs, but much of the peaks are shaved off.

18. George P

George P Notable Member

Before getting the new Kevin Gray SACD, I compared the MFSL and the original Rhino CD. I preferred the latter.

19. bellbrass

bellbrass Forum Resident

I just got Something / Anything yesterday; will listen to the SACD layer tonight. I still can't stop listening to A Wizard, A True Star, though....they did a really good job this time around...

Grampire likes this.
  20. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

How does AWATS sound compared to the 24/192 HDTracks version? Any significant difference?

21. leefarber

leefarber Senior Member

See my post on the previous page. A little more "open", bit of haze removed. About as good as this record is ever going to sound. Kevin did a great job with what he had to work with.

22. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Any other comments from folks who compared the new SACD with the MFSL?

23. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

geez, I ordered mine weeks ago, where the hell is it????

24. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

same question, I have the MFSL, so I don't need the SACD?

25. George P

George P Notable Member

Just so things are clear, I did not directly compare the MFSL and the new SACD. The reason for that is because I had already decided that I liked the original Rhino CD more than the MFSL.

stenway likes this.