Todd Rundgren...why isn’t he more famous?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by majoyenrac, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Raysdeathmachine

Raysdeathmachine Forum Resident

Todd dedicated "Song of the Viking" to Patti. Her bandaid poem was included in intial copies of Wizard.

2. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

I love Patti's Wave. "Dancing Barefoot" has been a favorite for years. Absolutely beautiful production on that one!

strummer101 and Raysdeathmachine like this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

well i'm doing my paperwork and i'm halfway through the bearsville box and it is excellent. certainly quirky, but still excellent.

4. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

I've found a brand new copy (a Rhino release) on eBay for a little over £13 reduced from £25. I'll have to open a new account so I can buy it.

I have all of those albums. I don't want to pay £36 just to get the copy of Something/Anything to replace my old one. However, it's a great box set for a newcomer to Todd's work. I'll recommend it to my mate who's been eyeing up a smaller five-disc boxset of Todd's music in HMV.

jlf likes this.
  5. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

As already noted, Ralph won't be touring with Utopia this spring, this though seems a bit desperate:

"While discussing a replacement keyboardist, it occurred to us that there may be someone out there who already knows the music and vocal parts and would like an opportunity to tour with us," states the band. "So if you think you could fill those big shoes, we invite you to submit an audio and/or video sample to us."

"We are on a very fast track, so the decision will be made this week. Band rehearsals begin in two weeks, so you won’t have a lot of time to learn the set. If you still want to try out, send your submissions (mp3s or links) to [email protected]. If audio-only, a photo would be nice but not required. Good luck!"

6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I was asked to supply videos of several Todd/Utopia tribute bands I had shot at the Rundgren Radio parties.

Raysdeathmachine likes this.
  7. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Well that would be a good place to start, I bet you have someone in mind from what you've seen?

8. Chris DeVoe

The keyboard player of the band Secret Society is excellent.

9. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Actually that's pretty cool to know the backstory of the keyboard situation when I'm at the Minneapolis gig in May,

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  10. Chris DeVoe

Here's Secret Society playing Utopia Theme.

rednoise likes this.
  11. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Listening to that song now!
    Been pretty routinely listening to the studio versions of the songs I heard in Austin plus "International Feel" and the typical hits. He's got a real talent for writing complex but catchy stuff. And amazing that he's still making great music!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    toddfan and DaverJ like this.
  12. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

i knew the hits on radio for many many years! i recently, the past 4-5 years, started buying up his cd's. I am pretty happy with most of his accomplishments. He is definitely "one out there dude" i think ahead of his time as far as music/stage presence/remixes/odd noises/music goes.
    I enjoy much of his music. I recently bought that big Todd Rundgren box set, and im involve with it, its some great albums, and music to say the least.
    I am still waiting on the Utopis box set. I wish i could see his Utopia tour, as he's not getting younger. but life gets in the way, kids, work, life, money, etc etc.

so seeing Utopia live is most likely a no go for me. That is ok, I have his studio and some live stuff. The box set is really nice, has a LOT of great music on it.

awaiting the Utopia box for some critical listening, with a few Drams of single malt 25yr.

If only he would lose the attitude, he a musical guru, and should give respect to his fans, audience. for they are the ones who grant him his power, and financial success.

anyway. im a new-is fan of his non hits now, and i will continue to jam out. he is a very talented, way ahead of his time musician.

DaverJ likes this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

I shot Secret Society again last week at the Rundgren Radio 11th Birthday party before Todd's Cleveland date. They actually had the Sphinx from the Ra tour!

14. Chris DeVoe

In recent years, he has done many things the fans have been clamoring for with the full album shows for Todd and Healing and A Wizard/A True Star (with a version of Utopia opening), but he has alternated that with continually expanding his musical horizons and trying to reach new fans. And I wouldn't have it any other way. "Giving the people what they want" means he will end up as solely a nostalgia act, and Todd is far too creative for that fate.

strummer101 and Terrapin Station like this.
  15. SKBubba

SKBubba Forum Resident

Just jumping in without reading everything, but "We gotta get you a woman" would have been a 100x better song with different, less juvenile lyrics. Redeemed himself with "bang on the drum all day" though.

But seriously he has an amazing, if spotty, catalog of work.

16. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

I think Todd is as famous as he wants to be.

Probably has the most loyal fan base in the biz, even if it’s not huge.

17. Chris DeVoe

In recent years, he's had to pay more attention to touring. Like many Americans, he was royally hosed in the "housing crisis" by Washington Mutual and left with a balloon mortgage by a crooked banker. He tried to take it to the Supreme Court, and they refused to hear his case. So he's having to tour ceaselessly to keep up with the payments to keep from losing his home.

U.S. Supreme Court rejects singer Rundgren's Chase suit appeal

It's a very nice home in a stunningly beautiful place, but just like the rest of us, he has a mortgage.

18. plynthe

plynthe Forum Resident

I think hit-wise he easily trumps Zappa, right? As a producer he was the best paid in the world for a period of time. He made more from Bat out of Hell than either Meat Loaf or Jim Steinman.

To the people you compared him to, IMO:

He has less of a "character" and less songwriting ability than Tom Waits;
    He has less virtuosity and was less prolific than Frank Zappa;
    His 60s band remains obscure, and didn't cement his legendary status as did Lou Reed;
    His experiments weren't as successful, he didn't have the songwriting talent or the charisma of David Bowie.

19. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

I'm not a stickler for lyrics so to me a lyric upgrade would only be worth 10- 20%. And sometimes the bad lyrics make a song great.

20. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

I love him, but Waits is more a songwriters writer, and less a "rock" composer. You know: hooks, riffs, irresistible melodies and that stuff.

Todd had a lot of virtuosity as a songwriter compared to FZ, by stadiums, as I hear it. Frank could not have come up with a todd song if his life depended on it.

He actually outshone his 60s band (and eventually took all the roles of the band at some point.) And lou didn't. I'll say it again: Lou never was as good or influential as his 60s band.

Todd was real. Bowie was looking for an identity. Charisma comes and goes by LPs and decades. Bowie had a tendency to coast and cash in on on his "aura." Todd never did that.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  21. plynthe

plynthe Forum Resident

I don't disagree with much of that, but I think the public sees things in a less nuanced manner, and the higher status of Tom/Frank/Lou/David reflects that. It may not be fair (certainly not Lou Reed, who Todd bests in every measurable way) but it is what it is.

22. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Right. Todd misses all the bullet points of the ones who are "obviously" stars. He never gave anyone a "handle" to use.

I always knew todd was too good at "pop" to be a big popular hit maker, way before this thread for decades. It sounds wrong but it's one of those ironies that are perfect. He's too smart. Hits are very often dumb, or at least become hits for very dumb reasons. That's just the first level of it though.

misteranderson likes this.
  23. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Not quite sure where to post on this. I have been listening a fair amount to the new SACD of A Wizard A True Star. Normally I get pretty jazzed about hi res; but in this case I suspect the original recording was fairly compressed. Because the SACD sounds fairly compressed. I know that measures were taken to allow a longer album to be pressed on vinyl. But I am surprised the even the master was this compressed; I figure it was just a production master that was compressed not the actual master tape.

24. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

And his teaching music gives fans an even closer look at Todd. The music (as you said, Chris) is what Todd is about still, not playing "We Gotta Get You A Woman" over and over. Todd is always fresh and new. And even his first (Runt) sounds like nothing before, or since.

Is he thinking of a Something,/Anything? (his pop ballad masterwork) tour. That would be something.

But next, of course there is his breakthrough & sonic adventure; that would be amazing to see:
    A Wizard/A True Star.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

In other words, you want to know why everyone else doesn't have the same taste in music as you? :)