Toeing-in headphones

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Wally Swift, Feb 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will... Thread Starter

Normally when I use my headphones [Monoprice DJ8323] I just place them on my head in a way that feels comfortable. Just a short while ago I started playing with them while listening to a Nektar album and discovered that by turning the cups so that there is more pressure against my head towards the back of the cup and less pressure towards the front the SQ was significantly improved. More clarity and detail. I'm rather surprised that this minor adjustment makes such a big difference!

A timely discovery too as I'm going to demo some better headphones later in the week.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I understand there's a new audiophile accessory to surgically shave down the sides of your head so that headphones will fit better. They add a green ink ring during the process, so everything sounds more detailed and precise, too. $99.95 at Earl Scheib.

3. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Pressing on the back of the cup may have created a better seal. Getting a good seal with the ear pads does affect the overall sound. Getting a good seal around the bottom of the ear near the jaw can be a problem for some headphones depending on your jaw line and head shape. Pressing on the back of the cup may have sealed that area for you.

More headphones now are using a wedge shaped ear pad. Where the pad is thicker behind the ear and thinner in front of the ear. Look at the Audeze headphones as an example. That gets the driver to be more in line with your outer ear. Seems to help get the sound to seem it is slightly more in front of you.

Position of the driver in relation to the ear also affects the sound. Try moving the cups forward so the back of your ear is touching or getting crowded by the back of the ear pad. Also try moving the ear cups down so the top of the ear pad touches the top of your ear. Experiment. Positioning the ear cups down and forward like that can give you a better sound stage that is more in front and less of a blob between the ears. Helps to have large full size ear cups to do this. But even with smaller ear cups and on-ears you can experiment and get some benefit.

Wally Swift likes this.
  4. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

;) Cynic

5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Wally Swift likes this.
  6. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

You could also jam some Mpingo Discs between the cups and your ears, even glue some on Shakti Stones.

JL6161 likes this.
  7. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

That only works after you've left the headphones on your ears for the mandatory 1000-hour burn-in period.

slovell likes this.
  8. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Some headphone manufacturers offer a burn-in service for an additional fee. Well worth the money I'm told :D

9. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Sounds like someone is selling "used" headphones...........

10. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

You could toe these in:

[​IMG]

11. Wouldn't that be toeing out? :)

Wally Swift likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.