Tom Hanks

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Is The Terminal from ten years ago Tom Hanks last good film?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  2. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Was that one good?

I like "Larry Crowne".

But, you are right, a big fall off in quality films in recent years. I have not seen the latest ones.

driverdrummer and DLant like this.
  3. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Toy Story 3 (2010) and Captain Philips (2013) are highly praised films. Cloud Atlas (2012) has its share of fans.

I think a lot of people have a negative view of The Terminal. It got dumped in the 2nd round of the Tom Hanks weakest link game on this forum.

alexpop likes this.
  4. alexpop

Just felt he was on a role ...Saving Private Ryan,.Road To Peridtion, Cast Away then 2004 The Terminal ( feels like a Xmas movie).

ssmith3046 likes this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

The Terminal STANK like an airport restroom with an overflowing toilet.

I kinda liked Larry Crowe, though I'd hesitate calling it "good". And I look forward to Captain Phillips.

They can't all be winners. He's Tom Hanks. Quality roles will find him again.

driverdrummer and Vidiot like this.
  6. alexpop

Two endings if that helps. :)

7. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I think the problem with Hanks over the last ten years or so is he simply isn't making films people really want to go and see.

"Larry Crowne" was embarrassingly bad, especially since it was co-written and directed by Hanks, and as Roger Ebert succinctly put it, "...has no reason to exist."

"Cloud Atlas" was too bizarre in concept and too poor in execution to entice viewers and/or positive reviews. "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" was a treacly mess and no one showed up.

"Captain Phillips" is garnering Hanks praise, but is this really a film moviegoers were clamoring for? I know it is closing in on $100 million in ticket sales, making it a success on the ledger books, but how many of those tickets were bought by anyone under 40? Same thing with "Saving Mr. Banks". Is there a huge, profitable market for a film on how a film from 50 years ago got made? Even if the film does well, the story will likely be fudged to benefit Disney since it is being made by their studio. P.L. Travers absolutely HATED what Disney did to her story, do you honestly think that is how the film will end?

What really saddens me is that it has been so long since Hanks tried his hand at comedy ("A League Of Their Own"?), that there is a whole generation that only knows him for middling dramas and rom coms.

alexpop likes this.
  8. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Good grief.

I'd hate to see what you'd say about a film that, y'know, actually bad. Because, the worst you can really say about the Terminal is that it is in a low-key, which opposed the expectations of Spielberg's and Hank's audience.

alexpop likes this.
  9. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

BTW - Captain Phillips is a very good film, IMO. I saw it right after seeing Gravity, so it had to be pretty good to stand up to that competition.

helter, wayneklein and carrick doone like this.
  10. MekkaGodzilla

He's 57. The light is fading fast for leading man roles.

11. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Hanks is an institution at this point, the way someone like Robert De Niro is. (Check out his filmography of the past 10-15 years and see how few noteworthy films you find there.) He'll always work.

He needs to stop doing accents, though.

Clark V Kauffman likes this.
  12. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

The Terminal is Spielberg at his most sickening. It is so sugary that I almost slipped into a diabetic coma from watching it. Hanks was great in it as he always is.

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Larry Crowne?

14. alexpop

BOB took up a fair bit of his time, admittedly.

15. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Just keep in mind as you watch "Captain Phillips" that it's mostly fiction :angel:. This is not to slight Hanks' performance, btw.

16. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Captain Phillips and Charlie Wilson's War (2007) are much better than The Terminal. Early word says so is Saving Mr. Banks.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  17. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I liked Captain Philips.

Hard to hit a home run everytime....

18. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I really like The Terminal. I don't understand all the hate, but I don't really care if people don't like it.

gramfan, Myke, kevintomb and 4 others like this.
  19. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

I think Big was his last good film.

Mychkine and Karnak like this.
  20. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

He was also "sort of" in Polar express in 2004 which has its fans. I haven't seen it myself.

MAYBEIMAMAZED and dewey02 like this.
  21. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I liked "The Polar Express" but was also hesitant to mention it in this thread. I guess it should count since it is listed in his filmography.

22. Maybe Hanks is making choices based on what he feels like doing. Like when Johnny Depp made "the Tourist". After it got terrible reviews he admitted that he agreed to be in the movie because he felt like hanging out in Italy for awhile, not because he thought it would be a good movie. Maybe Hanks made Captain Phillips because he felt like hanging out on a boat for awhile. Maybe he smoked a joint before he read the "Cloud Atlas" script and thought "trippy, let's do that one". He's got all the accolades and money he needs. If I were him, at this point I'd be basing my movie-making decisions on what would tickle my fancy rather than what may make a studio a boatload of money or win me another award.

Gumboo likes this.
  23. skinnyev

skinnyev Forum Resident

He's had some funny appearances on SNL the past few years, but his movies don't hold the same weight for me. Still a really likeable actor and will hopefully put out some stronger movies in the future, but probably has earned the right to pick and choose what interests him.

24. MekkaGodzilla

I think Hanks has been on a "This story has to be told!" trip for about 15 years now, starting with "Saving Private Ryan". Heck, probably starting with "Apollo 13".

Movie studios are in business to get people's butts in the seats, not to entertain an actor's desires and whims. If you wanna be self-indulgent and make a "Larry Crowne", do it on your own dime then.

25. Yes, Terminal was pretty awful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.