Tom Petty/Heartbreakers: 2018 Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McCool, Jan 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McCool

McCool Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    Well the other thread got ugly and then it got really weird. So anyhow I'm putting this one up so Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers fans can continue to discuss not only the life and legacy of Tom Petty but also any and all relevant news relevant to the band going forward in 2018. I'll try to get us started off on the right foot with a few random notes and thoughts from Grammy weekend.

- First off I don't think anyone could sum up the feelings that so many Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers fans have been going through since October than what Mike Campbell said during The Dirty Knobs' performance at NAMM: "“I was talking to a friend of mine, there are a couple of songs I’d like to do tonight and I told her how sad I was that I’ll never play these songs again with my friend, and she said that’s right you won’t....but some night you’ll play them for him. So tonight these two songs are for my friend Tom." The bottom line is these songs shouldn't be allowed to go silently into the night. As was noted once fancams leaked out onto YouTube, there was an audible gasp from the crowd once The Dirty Knobs hit into "Runnin' Down A Dream". Benmont Tench once stated that "The Heartbreakers make their own noise", Tom Petty himself would often refer to it as "The Big Jangle". The music needs to breathe and for around ten minutes when The Dirty Knobs performed "Something Good Coming" and "Runnin' Down A Dream", that beautiful noise was heard once again.

While on the subject of Tom Petty tributes from his bandmates, if you aren't aware there are two noteworthy tributes floating around on YouTube, the first a poignant performance of "You Can Still Change Your Mind" by Benmont Tench (dating from his two night stand at the Iridium Club in New York City this past November) as well as an original composition entitled "My Best Old Friend" performed exclusively for YouTube by Petty's Mudcrutch bandmate, Tom Leadon. Seek 'em out when you got a few moments.

- While I'm sympathetic to those who wanted a grander display of pageantry for Tom Petty at the Grammy Awards that what he was given it's important to note that Petty was never one to stand on ceremony or pretension. I mean if you honestly think about it, how many award shows in his illustrious forty year career did Petty attend? Not many by my count. In fact, last year when Petty was selected as the MusicCares Person of The Year, one of the lures/incentives he was offered (as is everyone who is honored apparently) prior to accepting the award was the opportunity to perform at The Grammy Awards. Petty's response was purely Tom Petty as he was more than honored to accept the award but had absolutely no interest in a Grammy Awards Performance. I also have no issue with the two artists that were selected to honor Petty at the event. Chris Stapleton toured with Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers on their 40th Anniversary tour last year and there was mutual respect between the parties. In fact if you read between the lines, I would not have been at all surprised if Stapleton was one of the individuals that would've eventually been contacted to take part in Petty's 2018 "Wildflowers 2.0" tour had that tour ever come to pass, as Petty showed keen interest in bringing other musicians with him on the road in 2018 to help him spotlight his 1994 showcase. As for Emmylou Harris? I would suggest that now would be as good as time as any to check out Paul Zollo's incredible compendium on Tom Petty entitled "Conversations With Tom Petty" (more on this in a bit) where among the made stories told were how pleased Petty was to hear Emmylou Harris' cover of "A Thing About You" alongside "Southern Pacific". For those of you who haven't heard it, you might want to check it out here:

- A friendly reminder that Mike Campbell, Benmont Tench and Steve Ferrone will all be participating in the 5th annual Light Up The Blues Concert to benefit Autism Speaks on April 21, 2018 at the Dolby Theater in Los Angeles. The Heartbreakers will be forming up the house band backing musicians such as Stephen Stills, Neil Young and Judy Collins.

Also Mike Campbell & The Dirty Knobs will be taking part in The Ride Festival which takes place on July 14th & 15th of this year in beautiful Telluride, CO. Believe me when I say, there are few better places on earth to take in a concert. In addition to The DKs, Sheryl Crow, String Cheese Incident, Dhani Harrison and Grace Potter have all been announced for the festival this year. Tickets can be purchased here:

The RIDE Festival, July 14 & 15, 2018

- There are also a few noteworthy Tom Petty related publications that will be making their way into shops hopefully in the coming months. First off the press is a special commemorative issue put together by The Makers of Uncut Magazine of "The Ultimate Music Guide" focusing on Petty's forty year career. As of this writing it is already available on newsstands in the UK and can be ordered as an import elsewhere. It should be showing up on US newsstands sometime after February 10th, so look out for it.
    [​IMG]
    Also "Sizzlin' Memphis, Tennessee" Jon Scott had been working on a book to celebrate the fortieth anniversary of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers entitled "Tom Petty & Me" and it's due to be released in the spring of 2018. If Mr. Scott's name is not familiar to you, well he's basically the reason that the music of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers reached both your ears and mine. It seems everyone has a Tom Petty story or two, it's just in my humble opinion that Mr. Scott has some of the best, so his book will be an essential addition to any Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers' fan's library. Mr. Scott is taking pre-orders here:

Tom Petty and Me- a new book by Jon Scott about my relationship/Tom

Finally Paul Zollo has checked in recently with some exciting news that his tremendous 2005 publication "Conversations With Tom Petty" may be getting an update/revision later this year. Zollo had interviewed Petty several times subsequent to his 2005 publication including speaking with him as the fortieth anniversary tour was wrapping up last September. I will post further information on the contents of this updated edition of "Conversations With Tom Petty" once they are finalized.

- Finally a hearty congratulations goes out to the greatest road crew in the business as Tom Petty & The Heartbreaker's crew swept the floor at the Parnelli Awards at the NAMM Awards. As announced by TP.com, the Parnelli Awards are the "Oscars" of the Live Event industry, a night when the spotlight shines on those individuals who spend their careers behind the scenes and Petty's crew is just about the best in the business in my opinion. Heck even Ol' Duckhead himself showed up to take in the festivities. Congratulations gang!
    [​IMG]
    Tom Petty’s sound crew shares memories of the 40th Anniversary Tour and milestones in his career at NAMM 2018 – Press Enterprise

RocksOff87, supermd, theMess and 46 others like this.
  2. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

I wonder if Bugs is in that photo? I guess he is a pretty private guy. He must be one of the longest serving one band guys out there.

Hep Alien and ccbarr like this.
  3. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I look at the cover of the Uncut Music guide every day, its on the side in my office when i start work. Have held off reading for now, i'm saving it. But when I glimpsed through it it was very nice. Covers all you need. I love these type of magazines so the recent issues for Tom and Heartbreakers and also Joni Mitchell are waiting for me on a day sometime soon. I also have the Warren Zanes book ready to go which was a Christmas gift. Again, giving that some time before i dive in. At present still finishing series 8 of Buried Treasure on my ipod. Good to know i have the last 2 series downloaded and ready to roll.

Nice thread. :cool:

4. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

So when exactly is the Wildflowers Deluxe Edition coming out?

5. McCool

From what I understand both the "Wildflowers" box set and the standalone remastered vinyl release (the same issue that is found in "The Complete Studio Album Collection Volume 2") are going to be issued later this year. The "Wildflowers" box set has actually been mixed and ready for release since late 2016. It was originally supposed to be issued around the same time "The Complete Studio Album Collection" vinyl box sets were released and was to coincide with a "Wildflowers" tour in the spring of 2017 where Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers would perform the album in it's entirety, showcasing the album in it's original double disc format. But somewhere along the line something got switched and the band decided to go ahead with the 40th anniversary tour instead. There were tentative plans to release the "Wildflowers" box set as a keynote release late last year capping off the 40th anniversary celebrations but then Tom Petty passed away and the project was put back into dry dock for the time being. The Heartbreakers are a classy outfit and they aren't going to move product in the immediate wake of Petty's passing. So while these projects have been confirmed to appear later this year, any further speculation on release date or content would be just that at this point.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I'm nearing the end of the Zanes book. A great read. But it's not entirely flattering about Tom; it really paints a wonderful picture of George and makes me sadder that he's gone than Tom.
    There are things that are, IMO, missing or glossed over here and I think it's probably due to Zanes being unable to get anything out of anybody.

I love how when Dylan arrives on the scene, he says [paraphrasing] 'everyone says the same great things about the tour. No one has anything to say about Dylan except that he's a legend.'

enro99, Sean, Almost Simon and 2 others like this.
  7. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Exciting to hear this. May I ask what you source is for the Wildflowers box and standalone vinyl release coming out in 2018?

8. McCool

Among other sources, I know it's been given mention several times over the past few months on Sirius XM's Tom Petty Radio. I believe it was George Drakoulias (who worked on "Wildflowers" with Petty/Rubin and later produced "Playback" and "The Last DJ") who first mentioned the release was still on track but pushed back in the wake of Tom Petty's passing, when he was interviewed back in October regarding Petty's passing on TPR. Mark Felsot (who BTW needs to be given an immense amount of credit for carrying the torch on TPR these past few months) and Steve Ferrone have also made mention of the project's impending release as well on Tom Petty Radio.

9. McCool

Today is this Gator's Birthday - So raise a glass, scarf some cake and plug in your amp and play him a tune cause it's time to celebrate!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY MIKE CAMPBELL!
    [​IMG]

Also I keep forgetting to post this but Robert Sebree took some amazing photographs of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers throughout the years including the back slick of the "Full Moon Fever" album and many of the photographs that adorn the "Wildflowers" album. Hopefully more photographs like these will turn up as part of the "Wildflowers" box set but until then here is a small preview of Mr. Sebree's work:

TOM PETTY / ALL THE REST

10. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up on Uncut guide being available over here. Will look out for it. Also that Wilflowers is coming out again on vinyl. Excuse my ignorance, but what is the Wildflowers box set/Deluxe - is it the first and mooted second one ?

ccbarr likes this.
  11. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I just ordered the Damn The Torpedoes Blu-ray. Woo-hoo. Can't believe it took me so long.

Tim 2, thxphotog and ccbarr like this.
  12. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I found myself becoming quite emotional reading these posts. Like Bowie, in the first months after death I found myself still not able to accept it. I hope the Petty estate has the ability to follow through on Tom's wishes. Great start to this thread.

13. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I'm halfway through the Uncut Guide, and it is a fascinating read. The interviews show how Tom really became aware and cared about the problems in the world, but at the same time stayed true to himself. Can't wait to finish it.

14. Eric Weinraub

It REALLY bothers me that opioid addiction and a belief that he 'owed' it to the fans killed him. I recall a half-hearted acknowledgement from Grateful Dead members that their desire to tour ..and make money... blinded them to the fact that it was killing Jerry until he was dead....When Jerry tried to take care of himself, it pissed them off.

15. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

If George had been alive, he would have insisted Tom take time off and heal...and he would not have taken no for an answer.

supermd, theMess, SBMusic and 7 others like this.
  16. McCool

I know I didn't mention this at the top (and perhaps I should have) but can we keep this thread "opioid free"? I'm well aware that Tom Petty's family encouraged discussion of the opioid crisis in the wake of Petty's passing but it's also that very discussion that got the predecessor to this thread shut down by the gorts. We all miss TP but lets try to celebrate his life instead of wringing hands over his death. Tom Petty wasn't a maudlin type a guy and he wouldn't want us to be either.

17. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Yeah, I was talking about how Tom became aware of issues such as poverty and the environment but didn't want to preach about it, maybe I should have been more clear.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  18. Eric Weinraub

Drugs took someone we cared about. buzzwords on my part clouded that feeling related to the loss of many incredible artists, period.

CCrider92 likes this.
  19. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Tom originally wanted to release a double album

melstapler, Hep Alien and ccbarr like this.
  20. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I didn't know She's The One contained left over Wildflowers tracks, that was interesting to find out. I feel like I should have known it though.

Sean, Matthew Tate and Hep Alien like this.
  21. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

I read the Zanes biography on Petty. I had so much more respect for Tom Petty after reading the book and all the obstacles and hardships he was able to overcome. I never knew many of the things in his background. He persevered and never wavered in his dream of becoming a musical success - never backed down and stood his ground, while always fighting for what was right. He was a one-of-a-kind, beautiful person whom I loved even more after reading this book.

22. McCool

[​IMG]

- Well it was another clean sweep for Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers at last night's Pollstar Awards. The Pollstar Awards celebrate and recognize touring outfits of the previous calendar year and Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers were up for three awards and they took home all three including the prestigious Major Tour Of The Year award. Additionally the band took home honors for Rock Tour Of The Year and our favorite Greek Tony Dimitriades took home Personal Manager of the Year. As seen above Dimitriades was joined onstage by Heartbreakers Benmont Tench and Steve Ferrone, all of whom gave speeches and paid tribute to the late Tom Petty who was described as both a great leader and a great friend by Ferrone. In addition tour manager Richard Fernandez was acknowledged by Benmont Tench for his tireless work and effort put forth with the band for many a year. Here is a nice write up on last night's festivities: Pollstar Awards Winners: Tom Petty, Cara Lewis, Gregg Perloff, Bruno Mars

- Tom Petty is also to be honored by the University of Florida this coming fall as the UOF is offering a course in Petty 101 using Warren Zanes 2015 biography as the crux for the one credit course as taught by Journalism professor Clay Calvert. According to Calvert "Students will read a chapter or two of Zanes’ book each week and discuss what they thought was most interesting or important. They’ll also analyze some of Petty’s lyrics". More information on the course can be found here: Petty 101: 1-credit UF course to focus on rocker's biography

- As mentioned above Jon Scott is working on a new book entitled "Tom Petty & Me" and recently he joined Drake In The Morning on 98.1 The Max to speak about it. A link to the podcast follows although fair caution the interviewer is a tad bit overzealous although Mr. Scott does relate a particularly humorous TP anecdote towards the end of the interview so it's worth hanging around for that: Drake in the Morning | Podcast for Friday, Februrary 2nd

- Finally speaking of radio broadcasts, Steve Ferrone will feature a special guest on his "New Guy" radio show in three weeks time as the Snakeman himself Ron Blair will be joining him to spin some records and the like. "The New Guy Show" airs exclusively as part of "Tom Petty Radio" on SiriusXM, so if you haven't checked it out now is as good as time as any to do so.

Petty on!

23. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Petty's passing had an interesting effect on me in that despite the fact that i was really upset about it, I couldn't listen to anything BUT Petty for weeks and weeks. I filled all the holes in my Petty catalog, and in the car it was non-stop TP Radio on XM. Hearing his speaking voice during repeated shows that he DJ'd was/is crazy comforting. (as is his BRILLIANT work on King of the Hill, which repeat 10 times a day on 3 different channels. :))

Thanks for the thread. Good info! Glad to see the Heartbreakers are up and at it playing.

Can't wait for the Wildflowers vinyl SE!!

24. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I just got a copy of the Uncut Tom Petty edition. Great to have these old interviews made accessible again. But I went straight to the review of Long After Dark, hoping whoever was responsible for it would have had the sense to offer a long overdue reappraisal of a sadly neglected part of Petty's back catalogue. But it was not to be. A shame. I mean, I can see some vague relationship between Between Two Worlds and Fooled Again, but BTW is a really unusual song by any measure, and particularly unusual for Petty when he was still largely in "don't bore us, get to the chorus mode" through these 70s/early 80s run of albums. And to dismiss Straight into Darkness, a song that Petty was particularly proud of, singled out for praise as it was by Dylan and Springsteen (for instance), is just cloth-eared.

Hoping for better things from the other album reviews.

theMess, MartinR, jmxw and 3 others like this.
  25. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Just my two cents my favorite is Into The Great Wide Open and Hypnotic Eye is a classic LP as soon as it was released a great LP

FJFP and Stone Turntable like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.