Tom Petty - "Hypnotic Eye" -- new album (and tour) this summer*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fourfeathers, Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mongo

mongo Senior Member

I guess my pithy post garnered no attention and my point was lost.
    I knew there were no hi-res releases of these recordings.
    So great, Jack White releases uber CDs but no option for hi-res or even hi-res surround.
    Why aren't posters railing about this?
    So CD is the end-all, be-all, gold standard?

2. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

So the Blu-ray comes with an Mp3 download code , but the Vinyl Flac & mp3 ?

3. mrbooboy

mrbooboy Forum Resident

For those that care about such things...just downloaded the 48kHz/24-bit FLAC from HDTracks and it clocks in at DR13.

Andrew Smith, Dino and Davidmk5 like this.
  4. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Hey now, hey now. There's no talking about the actual music or artwork associated with this album in this thread. Smiley face jumping up and down doing something clever with a broom.

5. ryan de topanga

ryan de topanga Forum Resident

So are we in contention for the 2014 DR award now? After all, it's 2 more than Jack White ;-)

Billy Infinity and jeffgt14 like this.
  6. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I do appreciate making the dynamic Download (and LPs) available!

7. somebodywhocares

somebodywhocares Forum Resident

Has anyone who bought tickets gotten a download code from ticketmaster yet?

8. Markus Brenner

Markus Brenner Forum Resident

Hi Form, this is my first post here!

maybe this is of interest to some:

I bought the digital (FLAC) version of the Hypnotic Eye from Tom Petty's store at:
    http://store.tompetty.com/hypnotic-eye-flac-bundle.html

I got the download code for the album today. The good news is, the album has the full 24 bit resolution and a very good Dynamic Range rating (see below).

The slightly not so good news is, it doesn't come with "Playing Dumb", as somebody else previously posted here. Whether this is because there seem to be two different order pages to buy the FLAC files from, or whether it simply isn't included I don't know. And to tell the truth, it doesn't say so on the order page, either. Ah well, I guess I'll have to live without that track.

Here's the info from the TT Dynamic Range Meter on my Mac (which sometimes claims the peak is 'over' which shouldn't bother anyone, I believe it's a glitch of the Mac version):

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed folder: /Users/markus/Music/Tom Petty/Hypnotic Eye
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR Peak RMS Filename

DR13 over -14.88 dB 01 - American Dream Plan B.wav
    DR14 over -14.84 dB 02 - Fault Lines.wav
    DR13 -0.00 dB -14.42 dB 03 - Red River.wav
    DR12 -3.18 dB -18.52 dB 04 - Full Grown Boy.wav
    DR12 over -13.26 dB 05 - All You Can Carry.wav
    DR13 -0.07 dB -14.73 dB 06 - Power Drunk.wav
    DR13 over -14.26 dB 07 - Forgotten Man.wav
    DR12 -4.04 dB -18.21 dB 08 - Sins Of My Youth.wav
    DR13 over -14.94 dB 09 - U Get Me High.wav
    DR13 -0.00 dB -15.22 dB 10 - Burnt Out Town.wav
    DR13 over -15.83 dB 11 - Shadow People.wav

Number of files: 11
    Official DR value: DR13

==============================================================================================

Dino, amoergosum, mongo and 1 other person like this.
  9. stem

stem Forum Resident

That's just the single LP version.
    The double LP is indeed listed on Amazon UK, but it is "unavailable".

On that subject, it seems to me that all you get extra with the double album is one extra track - and no difference in sound quality ?

10. That's correct I think. It's just one extra track. It seems you get the extra track (Playin' Dumb) on the double vinyl version and on the high resolution Blu-ray audio). It's not available on iTunes.

I didn't realise there were two different vinyl editions.

11. It's up now on HDtracks. I guess these are the same FLAC files available from Tom Petty's website. The bonus track isn't included here neither...

http://www.hdtracks.com/hypnotic-eye

12. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

LP is temporarily unavailable at Amazon CA, no surprise there. :(

13. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

How many more is it than the Hypnotic Eye CD? ;)

14. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Thanks for the DR info. Much appreciated.

15. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

I ordered the Blu Ray from the Tom Petty site. I haven't yet received it in the mail (probably today), but received an email today with a link to download the mp3 or FLAC version. Of course I downloaded the FLAC version, which is 24/48, DR 13 and includes the bonus track. The primary reason I ordered the Blu Ray was to get the bonus track.

So I am a happy customer, and appreciate that dynamic Hi-Res options are offered. I haven't even so much as listened to a sample of Hypnotic Eye, but look forward to taking it all in tonight.

Davidmk5 and Dino like this.
  16. Somebody on here on this thread said the bonus track (Playin' Dumb) isn't included with the 24/48 FLAC download on Tom Petty's website.

17. Golden Richards

Golden Richards Forum Rodent

Not an audiophile by any means (don't have the equipment - yet), but the FLACs sound great. I canceled my CD order and chose the FLACs after reading Ryan's posts. I don't like having a slight headache after listening to an album. I resampled the FLACs to 16 bit with Audacity for use on mobile devices.

18. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

Well the link I receive for purcha
    You probably didn't have to resample. 24/48 certainly works fine on Apple devices at least. I listen to 24/48 on iPod classics all the time.

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

So? You can rip the Blu-ray to FLAC. I'm getting ready to do it in a little while (after I finish with the Fillmore East set).

20. I'm confused because another guy on here said the FLAC download from the Tom Petty website said the bonus track titled "Playin' Dumb" isn't included. It also isn't included on the track listing for the FLAC download. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm just confused that you downloaded the FLAC edition and got the bonus track. Can you just confirm where you downloaded the FLAC edition from and the title of the bonus track?

21. Golden Richards

Golden Richards Forum Rodent

Wow. Thanks for the heads-up on that. Guess I just jumped to a conclusion.

22. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

I ordered the Blu Ray (only) from tompetty.com and got an email that included link for a mp3 or FLAC download. I downloaded the FLAC s. They are 24/48, DR 13, and include 'Playing Dumb' as a bonus track (just like the actual Blu Ray disc).

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

:wtf::crazy: Or maybe he WAS PART OF THE PEOPLE WHO CAME UP WITH AN ALTERNATIVE APPROACH THAT SATISFIED THE SUITS, YET STILL MAKES A HI-REZ UNLIMITED VERSION AVAILABLE in the format(s) that is most likely to meet the preferences and expectations of the consumers of that format(s)?

My complaint -- if I were buying the CD -- would be that unless I came here to this thread, I wouldn't know that there was an alternative choice.

24. SammyU

SammyU Forum Resident

Ripping Blu Rays can be troublesome. I hope to rip the 5.1 track an downmix it into stereo, then see which version I prefer. But if I have issues decrypting the disc, I have the included 24/48 stereo FLAC download, so I am covered.

25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

What is troublesome about it? I think I've only ever run across only one disc I couldn't decrypt...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.