Tom Petty - "Hypnotic Eye" -- new album (and tour) this summer*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fourfeathers, Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

But how's the DR?

:winkgrin:

omom and Stone Turntable like this.
  2. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I'm sure lots of people rock harder than Tom. Tom, however, is good.

zobalob and Macman like this.
  3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

You do know cozy powell plays the drums on some of the cinderella studio stuff. Kenny aronoff also plays on some of their studio stuff. Do you have an issue with kenny or cozy?

ModernDayWarrior and goombay like this.
  4. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Absolutely NOTHING. Rocky V was wretched, but Rocky Balboa redeemed the series for me and ended it nicely. Hope it stays that way.

John Grimes likes this.
  5. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Just got an email from Amazon.ca. Expected delivery on my single vinyl is August 29th - September 29th! There must eithere such a massive demand for this or some pressing issues?

6. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Could someone who visits iTunes regularly help me out here? I'm sure that when I looked at the pre-order track listing on iTunes, "Playin' Dumb" was the last track. Now only the regular 11 tracks are included. Was I just dreaming this, or was "Playin' Dumb" a pre-order bonus on iTunes?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  7. 905

905 Senior Member

Does Hypnotic sound like another Petty album? I stayed away from Beck's latest because of the Sea Change comparison. I like that one, but one's enough for me.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  8. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Sounds to me like a cross between Mojo and the full on rock numbers from She's the One (Change the Locks, Supernatural Radio, that kind of sound). A die-hard Petty fan for the past 30 years, I was initially disappointed with it, but it is growing on me. There are some great songs on here, and even the mediocre ones sound good when the album is listened to as a whole. The bonus track is an excellent full speed ahead rocker.

905 and cwitt1980 like this.
  9. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Classic Rewind on XM satellite radio is playing non-stop Petty all weekend. Interviews, live stuff, Mudcrutch etc etc. Sounding really good!

10. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

I bought tickets to see Tom at Fenway Park in Boston, and I could have sworn when I bought the tickets it said I would be receiving a free copy of the new CD. Does anyone know how this will be distributed? Will it be mailed to me? Do we get it at the show?

11. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

You’ll get about 50,000 emails saying you get a free copy of Tom Petty’s new CD and you click on the link and provide your address and they’ll send it to you. Then once you receive it, you will continue to get 50,000 more emails telling you to claim your free CD still…

somebodywhocares likes this.
  12. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

He did a darn fine job on Johnny Cash's American IV The Man Comes Around recording also..........

Myke likes this.
  13. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

You're missing out. The new Beck record is great.

14. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I personally have stayed away from it just because it was marketed as a Sea Change. That album is just a bit too real and hard to handle unless I want to be in a euphoric bummed out state. It will happen, just wish they didn't market it as that.

windfall is spot on about how this album relates to other albums. I could hear "Sweet William" being part of this album and not knowing it's almost 20 years older. Man, I'm feeling old now.

I need to spin it another time. On first listen, I'm not too into it. Petty gave himself a high bar though. I did like all the guitar work. This is really a tasty Mike Campbell album.

905 likes this.
  15. Too bad as that Beck album is one of my top three albums of this year so far.

levi, MartyTem, googlymoogly and 2 others like this.
  16. 905

905 Senior Member

I was just being off topic to point how we strayed to being off topic with Cinderella, but I messed up and caused things to get worse. I honestly don't listen to them.

17. 905

905 Senior Member

I never meant anything about rocking. I meant creative fire in the belly. And it's just an opinion.

18. Jeff57

Jeff57 Senior Member

DR for the HDTracks 24/48 download...

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DR13 0.00 dB -14.88 dB 3:00 01-American Dream Plan B
    DR14 0.00 dB -14.84 dB 4:28 02-Fault Lines
    DR13 0.00 dB -14.43 dB 4:00 03-Red River
    DR12 -2.79 dB -18.52 dB 3:26 04-Full Grown Boy
    DR12 0.00 dB -13.27 dB 4:35 05-All You Can Carry
    DR13 0.00 dB -14.71 dB 4:39 06-Power Drunk
    DR13 0.00 dB -14.26 dB 2:49 07-Forgotten Man
    DR12 -3.76 dB -18.21 dB 3:50 08-Sins Of My Youth
    DR13 0.00 dB -14.94 dB 4:12 09-U Get Me High
    DR13 0.00 dB -15.23 dB 3:05 10-Burnt Out Town
    DR13 0.00 dB -15.82 dB 6:43 11-Shadow People
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of tracks: 11
    Official DR value: DR13

19. Anyone here receive their LP who ordered via the pre-sale from Petty's site?

A little annoyed that I paid my money months ago, but it's in stores and I still don't have it.

20. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I like this album a lot. Probably his best since Wildflowers.

Carserguev and Crazyhorse11 like this.
  21. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

there are no stores in Toronto stocking the lp yet - production delays I was told, has anyone seen them anywhere in stock?

22. I haven't seen the LP in any store.

23. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Listening to it now for the first time, I'm digging it.

24. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

I pre-ordered the 2xLP from the Petty website. I can't complain about the delay. I was sent 3 FLAC download codes (1 with the bonus track Playing Dumb) and a CD. Oh yeah, this was all before the official release date.

25. Amoeba in San Francisco had a ton of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.