Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers 2017 "40 Anniversary" Tour Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McCool, Apr 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

The comparison stuff with Springsteen and the Stones is all very well but I don't like them.

Paperback Writer and Bingo Bongo like this.
  2. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

It's hard to tell because obviously it's all being filmed/streamed for the screens around the park so in theory yes

3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

The give away is added camera cranes, camera tracks in the crowd or camera angles never seen on the big screens.

4. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I didn't notice any of that but that doesn't mean it wasn't there. (You've reminded me of seeing the filming when I was at the Kate Bush concert that will never be released :cry:)

5. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

I do wish I'd seen him more often than I have---just once, 1989 in Jacksonville w/Replacements opening---but given the observations above that unlike say a jam band approach this is TOTALLY about the songs-not-the-musicianship, that's not a batch of songs I need to pay 100 to hear.

I hope they do more typical for the fan modern stuff down the line, the LP show, the "one song from every LP" show or somesuch.

That said, while I appreciate the element of growing into himself mentioned above that helps explain why delicate snooziness defines his quality work post 1991 or so, I miss the poppy peppy Petty of the GREATEST HITS years. He's got a FEW stone cold smash slower sadder ones. But he's written way too many of them in past few decades. (And his "rock" of the past couple of lps just falls flat to my ears.) (One of the ironies for those of us who read all the books and see all the docs re Petty is that his dogged dedication to the Heartbreakers is real and fascinating---yet he's also very open that his favorite records are the ones without them. I disagree with him on this.)

6. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I saw Coldplay Vancouver 2012 that had 20-30 cameras and cranes whizzing around. Never seen a Frame of it. I was at some other shows with 15-30 cameras rolling and never they never saw daylight despite someone spending 6 figures.

7. McCool

McCool Forum Resident Thread Starter

Throwback Tuesday:

This one comes from 1977 and is generally accepted as being Petty's first appearance on US television. Here he is rocking out with Dwight Twilley, Phil Seymour and Bill Pitcock:

Also on a somewhat topical note, for those of you wishing to hear excerpts from the current 40th Anniversary Tour and have access to SiriusXM, tune in to TOM PETTY RADIO this Friday evening (6PM EST) where David Fricke will be playing selections from the current run of shows.

laf848 likes this.
  8. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I don't typically like David Fricke (see my comments in the Stones' Mono Box for more detail), but this sounds mildly interesting. I tuned into his show this past Friday, and didn't realize what it was until he made the announcement yesterday. "That's why it was all scatterbrained!" I said.

9. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Saw the show in Toronto last night, and my word of advice for anyone going to a future show: WHOLLY IGNORE the criticism of static setlists. Their playing is so goddamn tight and dynamic that you're guaranteed not to give a **** about what songs are played! Highlights for me were "It's Good To Be King", "Crawling Back To You", "Walls" and even "Don't Come Around Here No More", a song I've heard live at least a dozen times, but seems to get better with each time they play it.

If there weren't rain in the forecast for tonight, I'd be in a car driving to Ottawa for their Bluesfest show right now. Don't even care if they play the exact same set, I'd jump at the chance to catch another show before the year is out!

enro99, 500Homeruns, SMc and 7 others like this.
  10. McCool

ggg71 likes this.
  11. stampie

stampie Forum Resident

Well, Sky Arts have been showing highlights from BST shows 2016, so hopefully they will do the same for this year as well. I don't know if they've shown any full length individual shows though

dvcarrick likes this.
  12. McCool

13. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

It would really be cool for them to do a show from their rehearsal warehouse, "The Clubhouse" and release that as a live dvd. All the pics I've seen it looks like a cool place to rehearse and play without being bothered.

enro99 likes this.
  14. McCool

15. mr._mojo_filter

mr._mojo_filter Forum Resident

Questions: about how long are the shows for this tour? And when have they been starting? Thanks!

16. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Saw him last night, he went on just after 8 and played until 10. Peter Wolf opened the show but I missed the beginning of his set. I'm guessing he came on around 7. These set times might not be indicative of the norm though, as this venue had a hard curfew of 10pm.

Stephen J likes this.
  17. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Okay, I love dramatic endings to grand finales as much as the next guy, but Tom and Mike are starting to get over-the-top with their banging around (Tom) and breaking strings and swinging from the strap (Mike) of their guitars. I give credit to Tom, though; thrashing a (built like a tank, too!) Fender is less unsettling than banging around the fragile and work-of-art Rickenbackers.

I get it, they get three weeks off and they're running out of steam, but c'mon!

18. McCool

enro99 and windfall like this.
  19. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

anyone know what time tp and the hbs will take the stage tonight? I reallllly don't want to suffer through the lumineers.

20. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

21. Jack

Jack Senior Member

22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

But Tom said at the start of the tour they'd play deep cuts:rolleyes:

And he said that at the tour before that, and before that, and.........

Bonddm likes this.
  23. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The waiting is the hardest part ... ;)

Jack likes this.
  24. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

If he'd come to my town, I'd love to see him do that setlist. Honestly - although long-time regulars may have seen him do all these songs before, it's one heck of a set of songs...

dougb222 and rburly like this.
  25. Jack

Jack Senior Member

And I....won't, back down.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.