Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers 2017 "40 Anniversary" Tour Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McCool, Apr 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

The stop in Seattle is one the band should forget quickly. The entire sound system cuts out and the band has no idea and merrily keeps playing. They finish the song in near complete silence. Tom announces they need to leave the stage. 20 minutes goes by.... they come back and promise an entire show... nope. they don't replay the lost song, cut down the songs they have remaining in a rush, and onto the next date. easily the worst performance I've seen from Tom. Really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Zep Fan likes this.
  2. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

This whole PA cutting out thing is so goddamn weird. It happens to them a lot. Same thing happened at the Toronto show in 2014 and a festival appearance I saw in 2008.

3. mr._mojo_filter

mr._mojo_filter Forum Resident

For those headed out to the show in Berkeley tonight, don't... (via their Facebook page):

"Unfortunately, due to Tom having laryngitis, tonight’s show at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley, CA has been postponed. The show will now take place on Monday, August 28th. Hold on to your tickets, all tickets for tonight’s show will be honored at the door on Monday night.

The shows at Golden 1 Center in Sacramento on Friday and at the Greek Theatre on Sunday are scheduled to go on as planned."

- Team Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

4. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Too much smoking?

Bonddm likes this.
  5. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Tom should heed Yul Bryner's advice, I reckon!

6. brettster808

brettster808 Forum Resident

Last night's show in Sacramento was postponed as well.

As Tom Petty heals from laryngitis and bronchitis, additional changes are required for the remainder of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers' Bay Area & Sacramento performances. We share this news with regret, but Tom's doctor has advised Tom to take additional days off before performing.

On account of this, the shows have been rescheduled as follows:

Monday August 28 (originally scheduled for Wednesday, August 23rd) Greek Theatre in Berkeley

Wednesday August 30 (originally scheduled for Sunday, August 27th) Greek Theatre in Berkeley

Friday September 1 (originally scheduled for Friday, August 25th) Golden 1 Center in Sacramento

Hold on to your tickets. All tickets will be honored at the rescheduled dates.

7. SteevG

SteevG Forum Resident

Any updates ?

905 likes this.
  8. McCool

McCool Forum Resident Thread Starter

enro99 likes this.
  9. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Well, I can guarantee that the band is glad it's over! I'm still glad I went to see them in Houston.

I can't believe I never did this, but I'll share some photos I took at the concert. My Galaxy S5's camera was put to the test that night. Sadly, these are the best pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And that night, and only that night, Tom pulled out the prototype for what became his signature model 660/12:

After that night, he played the Fender XII for the remainder of the tour. But after seeing Tom use his 660/12, it inspired me to get one of my own, and I did so last July:
    [​IMG]

10. FFF

FFF Forum Resident

I was front row at the show in Ottawa, Ontario ( Bluesfest, July 16th) . They played a solid 2 hours and the video/light show was great. The crowd absolutely went bonkers for the whole show. It was my first TP experience - I've been a fan since Damn the Torpedoes. Tom certainly showed his age but I chalked that up to a demanding tour sched up until that point. Maybe he was still jet lagged from the UK show? At least I saw him before the laryngitis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. mr._mojo_filter

mr._mojo_filter Forum Resident

12. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

How come? I haven't followed the tour.

13. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

It went from the middle of April till this past Monday. I'm only 26, and that would tire me out! The reason I picked up on them being glad it was over was that Steve Ferrone and Benmont both hinted on their respective Tom Petty Radio SiriusXM shows several times that the tour was wearing them out. Also, quite a few photos showed them all looking tired.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.