Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers 2017 "40 Anniversary" Tour Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McCool, Apr 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McCool

McCool Forum Resident Thread Starter

They will. They have already added a few California festivals for the month of September so look for more dates booked around that time frame to surface soon!

Hugh Laurie is a GOD!

2. MWC

MWC Forum Resident

I just read they played Swingin' last night. First time since the Echo tour. Hopefully some video shows up of the performance and it's not just a one-off!

905, Rockinrob, 500Homeruns and 2 others like this.
  3. McCool

Good Enough for Gary Clark Junior to get into the action!

4. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Glad to see them opening the setlist a little. I loving dueling leads, Clark or Walsh are welcome on stage in my book.

5. Jack

Jack Senior Member

The Boston 7/21 concert has some side stage seats available for around $80. For those who have attended, are they obstructed by side stage gear? Or open sightlines?

6. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

Never was a fan of Petty in concert. I may look into seeing them at Red Rocks, but I fear songs like Breakdown will be played with a ten minute ending. "Only the left...sing "Break Down...Go ahead, give it to me" OK, now the right.... Now people behind the stage...Now the people in the back....now just the girls....now just the guys...

Ugh!

7. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Breakdown sounds good to me on Pack up the Plantation.

Terry likes this.
  8. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Not a hint of Breakdown last night in Austin, didn't think he played that one much anymore. Would much rather hear an extended Breakdown with sing a longs than the solo stuff he's playing on what is supposed to be a tour celebrating the Heartbreakers. No real deep cuts either unless you count newer stuff from Hypnotic Eye or Mojo. Still I hadn't seen him live in many years and the band sounded great.

9. lpfreak1170

lpfreak1170 Senior Member

If he should happen to play The Bomber (w/Bolero), I will die and not be able to see the rest of the show.

dougb222 likes this.
  10. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

RIP LPfreak. The Bomber w/Bolero is in his set list.

Cassius, ARK and KinkySmallFace1991 like this.
  11. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I can confirm this.

ARK likes this.
  12. McCool

A bit of a homecoming tonight and The Palm Beach Post did a write up about it. Some highlights:

Full article here: In Gainesville hometown, few thought Tom Petty would become rock star

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  13. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I just got tickets for tonight's show in Tampa. The deal-maker for me is Joe opening. It should be a solid 4-6 hours of fantastic music. Can't wait!

14. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Looking forward to hearing your report. Have a blast!

rburly likes this.
  15. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Really disappointed in this short and rigid setlist. Don't feel so bad about missing out on Red Rocks tickets now. Too bad.

16. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident

I was at the same show and yes the band sounded amazing!

I did notice that Tom petty was definitely showing his age though. His upper lip and hands were shaking quite a bit during the entire performance. Is he battling any conditions that are known publicly?

17. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Sadly, I also noticed that a bit at the show I went to in 2012.

18. rburly

I have to admit, last night was my first ever TP&THB concert (Joe Walsh opened and killed for the his/their shortened setlist). Joe was the main reason I went. Anytime Joe will play, I'll make an effort to be there. I just found this article on the concert. I'll post the link to the article here. Needless to say, it was an amazing show. Tom seemed a little emotional being at (one of) his home state shows. He stopped for a minute or 2 in the second half of the concert. It was a memorable concert. Joe was amazing. Tom and Mike Campbell were like Mick and Keith with their guitar playing. I'm so glad I went.

Review: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers give Florida fans a night to remember at Tampa's Amalie Arena

19. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

Agree with rburly. I was there last night as well. Third time for Tom and first for JW solo. Joe was smokin' and TP&THB performed for a magical two hours and change. Don't see how anyone could have left unsatisfied.

Duke Fame and rburly like this.
  20. Tony-A

Tony-A Forum Resident

Agree with you 100%:righton:

What a show these two bands put together last night.

Peace,
    Tony

Ted Bell likes this.
  21. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

The 1984 hand injury giving way, I presume...

22. rburly

Sorry, but I have to do this:
    Review: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers give Florida fans a night to remember at Tampa's Amali

• [​IMG]
      • [​IMG]
      • [​IMG]
      • [​IMG]
      • [​IMG]

Tom Petty swung his arms wide to a sold-out crowd of 16,500, flashing a mischievous grin beneath a sandy dune-grass beard, and exposing the regal purple lining of his topcoat.

“We’re bringing you 100 percent natural rock and roll!” he shouted to the fans at Tampa’s Amalie Arena Saturday night. “No artificial sweeteners! Can you say Yeah!? And no corporate sponsors! We are brought to you by you!”

It may be standard banter anywhere else, but here in Florida, Petty’s words ring especially true. Two hours south of the Heartbreakers' hometown, Saturday’s gig in Tampa was as close to Gainesville as they're getting these days. And on this 40th anniversary tour, they milked every moment of it, sounding energized, empowered and emboldened by all the Sunshine State love.

“This is really surreal to be here all these years later,” Petty said. “I’ve got a lot of friends here, a lot of family. I got so many friends in the dressing room I had to buy a liquor license just for them. But I sure do love ‘em all.”

It was an epic night from start to finish, thanks in large part to the other Rock and Roll Hall of Famer opening the show: Cockeyed classic rock crustacean Joe Walsh, who wowed the crowd with burnout humor ("Good morning!" he croaked at the stroke of 8 p.m.), van-rockin' FM staples (In the City, Funk 49, Life's Been Good, Rocky Mountain Way), planetarium-worthy solos (Turn to Stone), and one all-time Eagles classic (Take It to the Limit), dedicated to "my brother and fellow bandmate" Glenn Frey.

In addition to their wizardly locks, Walsh and Petty have a similar high, nasal tone that's aged pretty well on them both. But Petty also has the Heartbreakers, a trump card any singer would kill for.

Kicking off the night with the rockabilly spark of Rockin’ Around (With You), the very first song off their very first album, the ‘Breakers dipped into their catalog in some invigorating ways, drawing songs and solos out to jam-band levels – and the show itself nearly all the way to midnight. The band clearly had nowhere to be but right here, digging as deep into their musicianship as possible.

Petty and guitarist/co-genius Mike Campbell volleyed back and forth on an electrifying, oh-hell-yes ending to Mary Jane’s Last Dance. It’s Good To Be King -- part of a suite of lovely deeper cuts from Petty’s 1994 solo album Wildflowers, including the heartfelt title track and meditative Crawling Back To You – was a knock-down-drag-out jamfest, 10 minutes at least, with Campbell and Petty fret to fret by the end, burning that mother to a crisp.

All night, the rest of the band was right there with them. Drummer Steve Ferrone kicked off an all-hands-on-deck Don’t Come Around Here No More, which featured twinkling piano work from Benmont Tench just behind Ron Blair’s hypnotic bass. Former Leonard Cohen tourmates the Webb Sisters, Charley and Hattie, teamed with multi-instrumentalist Scott Thurston for some gorgeous harmonies on a tender, acoustic Learning to Fly, which also showcased Campbell on mandolin and Ferrone tinking tiny toy cymbals. You Got Lucky pulsed with Tench’s pouncing synthesizers and moody noodling from both him and Campbell.

“Oh, I feel that mojo in this room,” Petty said after that one.

Oh, you could tell. Here and there, Petty would pop back to the drums for a little puff of smoke, and it had him feeling some kind of special. On You Don’t Know How It Feels, he shook his hips like Elvis; on Free Fallin’, he tipped and tilted his arms like airplane wings as the coda rolled to a close. Any mention of Florida in general, and Gainesville in particular, drew huge cheers in which he basked, beamed and breathed, his aviator-shaded eyes cast all the way to the cheap seats.

“I’m glad you got the hoodoo going in here,” he said.”I’m glad you feel the mojo tonight.”

As always, the Heartbreakers’ set screamed to a frenetic finish: Runnin' Down a Dream, You Wreck Me and American Girl, each more insistent than the last, with Campbell and Petty wailing out solos like they might be their last.

“Before we leave here,” Petty said before American Girl, “I want to hold the world record for the loudest sound ever heard in this building.”

The crowd exploded, because what choice did they have? Here in Florida, Petty is royalty, and as the man once sang, it’s good to be king. Go ahead, Tom, and make it last all night. Your people have no place they'd rather be.

-- Jay Cridlin

[Last modified: Sunday, May 7, 2017 1:45am]

Ted Bell likes this.
  23. rburly

24. rburly

25. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

I was there too. Great show. Highlights for me were "You Got Lucky" and "It's Good to Be King".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.