Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers 2017 "40 Anniversary" Tour Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McCool, Apr 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McCool

McCool Forum Resident Thread Starter

Flashback Friday:

Spadeygrove likes this.
  2. SteevG

SteevG Forum Resident

Saw Joe Wednesday night at Champaign IL. Yes he played it all and YES it was great. Check to make sure though, JW isn't with Tom Petty for all shows that's why I traveled instead of seeing TP at Wrigley Field this summer.

Isamet and rburly like this.
  3. McCool

Wonder if TP learned to dance?

4. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

5. SteevG

SteevG Forum Resident

One of the drummers is Joe Vitale, a long time JW percussionist and collaborator. They sounded great with two drummers, mucho percussion in those songs!

:: Drummer Joe Vitale Official Website ::

BluesOvertookMe and rburly like this.
  6. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

I figured one of them was Joe. I will have to check out some YT clips.

Jband88 likes this.
  7. Harry Krishner

Harry Krishner Forum Resident

My nephew seen them twice and loved them. Once with Winwood opening. The other with Van Morrison. Lucky Sod. He is on my bucket list, but living in atlantic Canada, I dare say that they'll stay there on the list for awhile. Anybody who is going, I hope you have a blast!

8. SteevG

SteevG Forum Resident

And back to Tom Petty: He has an excellent drummer. The guy played his arms off Wednesday night.

Steve Ferrone

Steve Ferrone - Wikipedia

9. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

He lacks the swing feel that Stan has and sounds stiff if you ask me.

10. SteevG

SteevG Forum Resident

Maybe he had a good night Wed... He sounded great to me.

The Killer likes this.
  11. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Apparently, before he got the job with TP, he played closer to Stan but was told by TP and Rick Rubin to play a straight beat without many fills for the Wildflowers sessions. This is from the Warren Zanes bio. Apparently, he's carried the "only essentials" approach to the stage act.

12. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

A similar comment has been made by Pete Townshend regarding Kenney Jones playing for The Who. Guitarist seem to prefer a no nonsense drummer.

13. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I saw Joe Vitale in the 70s with his own band. They opened for someone else. Joe is/was one of the best drummers in the 70s. Joe Walsh and band were fantastic together. See TP&THB with Joe Walsh if you can.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  14. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident

anyone else a companions club member?

I just received an email today saying posters were going on sale for the first 13 shows but only available to club members. I have an active membership but cannot log into the website and access the new exclusive posters. I can log into the site but it only shows my account status and profile information. I sent an email to the customer support but haven't heard back. Anyone else having similar issue w/ the website? I really want to get a poster for the Austin show!

15. McCool

With the tour ramping up again shortly in Colorado, here is a look at the preparations that go into each night's performance courtesy of Robert Scovill's YouTube Channel:

The channel also includes videos dedicated to specific performances as well and by all indications, it seems that Mr. Scovill will continue to upload new content as the tour progresses.

16. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Same old stale setlist as the rest of the tour at Red Rocks night one yesterday. What are the odds they'll change it up a little for night two? 1:1,000,000?

Hundreds of songs to choose from and it's the same 16-17 every night with a couple rotators. What a waste.

17. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I have faith that they may change it up. If anything needs to go, I'd say replace "Walls" with "Swingin'", at least for tonight. I'm still hacked off that there is no video of "Swingin'" at the JazzFest.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  18. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Nice of him to share, but it's not all that interesting for the lay viewer, I would say...

19. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Looks like you were pretty much right - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Setlist at Red Rocks Amphitheatre, Morrison

Pretty disappointing level of changes otherwise. It's one thing to go from city to city with the same set (I'm not a huge fan of that approach but can understand why) but to do the same set 2 nights in a row with just 2 additional songs the 2nd night is a letdown for fans who went to both.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  20. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Definitely no longer bothered that I didn't get tickets to either show.

Elliottmarx and Todd W. like this.
  21. McCool

22. McCool

Another viewpoint (and more complete):

23. Senor Muddy

Senor Muddy Forum Resident

Not Really.

Went to both Red Rocks shows (18th and 10th rows) and had a great time at both. Night two definitely had different vibe due to the rain. The jam>down the road a piece>carol segment seemed spontaneous and started without Tom while he was dealing with technical difficulties. He seemed all too happy to join the fray once he got a working guitar. Nils Lofgren also seemed to enjoy the show, he was seated right in front of us last night.

This is third time I've seen Tom back to back nights over the years and he never mixes up the set list much. It's kind of expected.

24. McCool

Interesting review from St. Paul:
    Link: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers scatter surprises in with hits at the Xcel | City Pages

Also cleveland.com did a rather brief interview with Benmont Tench mainly centering around what the pianist likes to do on off-days while on tour:

Link: Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers' keyboardist Benmont Tench revels in his job, even after 40-plus years

budwhite likes this.
  25. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I loved Stan's playing and was an essential part to the sound of the Heartbreakers and the bands success. He really did have a unique swing.

However, Stan varied the tempo within songs and didn't like playing the slower and more introspective of Petty's songs.

Ferrone is a complete pro and can play anything that Petty desires, and he is rock solid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.