Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers 2017 "40 Anniversary" Tour Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McCool, Apr 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Well, you are probably more likely to get another chance to see Petty.

mooseman, bob chabot and Fullbug like this.
  2. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Sir Paul is 75...:agree:

3. McCool

McCool Forum Resident Thread Starter

4. DarkStarMagnolia

DarkStarMagnolia New Member

Saw them at Bonaroo a few years back. Great show. Good friend of mine went to the recent Hartford show.

5. McCool

Throwback Tuesday:

This one comes from the eBay vault and it's quite interesting. This advert dating from 1994 for Petty's second solo album "Wildflowers" lists the record's release as 10/94 but as most Petty fans know the album was pushed back several times before finally appearing in November of that year. Some have attributed the delay to the record being parred down from a double-disc package to a single disc. Either way with shops advertising a release date as early as August of 1994 and the band beginning promotions for the record the following month, the delay in terms of it's appearance on shelves makes for an interesting historical footnote. For what it's worth, they didn't even preview the cover art on this advert
    :

[​IMG]

6. McCool

Rose Bowl last night:

7. PsychedelicWheelz

PsychedelicWheelz Forum Resident

Saw them in Columbus a few weeks ago; they were amazing! More of an emphasis on Full Moon Fever/Wildflowers material than I expected, which was fine by me (this is the era when I discovered him). Great show, but I was surprised how little Damn The Torpedoes is represented as so many people consider it their best album.

8. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

It could be due to the fact that Tom simply can't hit the high notes that he sung on that album anymore. They played "Here Comes My Girl" quite frequently in 2012/13, and played "Don't Do Me Like That" and a handful of times in 2013/14. On that note, absolutely no songs from You're Gonna Get It, Hard Promises, Let Me Up, Last DJ or Highway Companion have been played on this tour, so far. For quite some time (2005-12), they opened with "Listen To Her Heart". I'm sure there are people going to these shows who would much rather hear that song open the show instead of "Rockin' Around". I, on the other hand, am disappointed that "Rockin' Around" has been the deepest they've dug into the catalog, so far. Especially after the excellent setlists they had in 2012/13.

9. McCool

It really comes down to the idea that Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers haven't curated their setlists around their earliest albums since the late eighties. While they certainly parachute in a few songs here and there from those records, their concerts have largely being culled from "Full Moon Fever" and "Wildflowers" for the past twenty-five years or so. While many fans might consider "Damn The Torpedoes" to be Petty's finest album, Petty himself doesn't and favors "Wildflowers" instead as his showcase piece. Also with rumblings of a "Dogs With Wings 2.0" tour sometime in the not too distant future, some have suggested that he's taking those songs for a trot around the race track so to speak on this tour by showcasing six cuts from that album including a mini-set of "It's Good To Be King"/"Crawling Back To You"/"Wildflowers".

PsychedelicWheelz likes this.
  10. KinkySmallFace1991

Originally, it was "Time To Move On" in place of "Crawling". I was there when they debuted "Crawling" in Houston. I thought it was one of the highlights of the night.

Doesn't Petty want to do the "Dogs With Wings 2.0" in smaller clubs/theatres? I would travel to New York, Chicago or LA to see that!

bob chabot and PsychedelicWheelz like this.
  11. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Got my tickets for Greek Theatre on Aug 27th. Last time I saw him there was with Dylan in 86'. Time flies.

PsychedelicWheelz likes this.
  12. PsychedelicWheelz

PsychedelicWheelz Forum Resident

Wildflowers is my personal favorite, and the high notes theory makes a lot of sense to me.

13. NightHider

NightHider Forum Resident

Sorry to see he skipped right on by AZ with this tour : (

14. Byrie

Byrie Forum Resident

Guys, stop complaining - at least he's gracing English shores, even if it is once. Spare a thought for us down in the Southern Hemisphere - we get nought.

Stephen J and Bonddm like this.
  15. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I've been a long time semi-fan with TP&THB but they never came around when I was in my strong concert going years. I went to see him only because Joe Walsh at the venue in Tampa. No, TP can't hit those high notes anymore, but most old timers can't either. We're lucky to be able to see them at all. I think people should be able to say how they felt about the concerts, but not belabor the points. You guys have seen him/them many more times than me, so I enjoyed the heck out of the concert. It's just that we don't have much more time to see these bands that we grew up on.

16. laf848

laf848 Forum Resident

My wife & I are going to see them tomorrow night in Philly. Peter Wolf Band is the opening show. Should be a great show.

500Homeruns and rburly like this.
  17. KinkySmallFace1991

Looks like ITGWO title track has replaced "Walls" in the set. The drunken guy behind me at the Houston show kept screaming for it. "Interesting observation..." my mom said.

18. Vince Gill

Vince Gill Forum Resident

Last night in Chicago was fantastic. Hadn't seen them in 15 years and even though there were deep cuts I would've loved to hear every song they played hit the right spots.

500Homeruns and rburly like this.
  19. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I did not end up going to the show near me. It was interesting watching for tickets though. The tickets sold out in December including lawn seats which in my experience never happens. (The reason I was so surprised was that I saw him on the last tour and I don't remember having any difficulty getting tickets and am not sure it even sold out.) So I was watching stubhub and Craigslist all spring. Just to use the lawn seats as a gauge - the tickets on stubhub were about $80 all spring which is almost double face value. They spiked up to about $120 2 days before the show. They started dropping closer to the show and were back to about $80 4 hours before the show when I stopped checking. Every once in a while some face value or better tickets appeared on Craigs list but they disappeared immediately.

I was really surprised that that even the lawn seats sold out immediately. I was sure they held tickets back and was always watching but more were never released. The prevailing theory is that a high percentage were purchased by secondhand sellers. As I said, I was surprised at how hot his tour (or at least this stop) if just because it did not seem so a couple years ago.

I just could not get up the interest enough to buy tickets way over face value or go out of my way to get tickets. (in part because the show a few years ago already seem to me a drop off from the shows I saw in the 80's)
    I would have liked to see Peter Wolf. Yes it turned out to be a beautiful night. Yes friends of mine were at the show.

Rich C likes this.
  20. laf848

laf848 Forum Resident

The Crowd in Philly love Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers. They were into every song performed. I thought they sounded fantastic. My wife & I Loved the show. We had a Great Time. Peter Wolf band were pretty good also.

21. McCool

Some recent linkage:

Rolling Stone did a nice albeit brief piece on the Red Rocks show that was interrupted by a lightning storm. There are some nice bits in it, particularly a touching bit about Howie Epstein:

Inside Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers' Last Big Tour

As most are aware by now Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers have announced two shows at the Hollywood Bowl on 9/21 & 9/22 will close out the 40th Anniversary festivities for 2017:

Tom Petty Adds Second Show At Hollywood Bowl!

There is also this contest where you can win a Duesenberg guitar signed by the band:

22. KinkySmallFace1991

23. windfall

windfall Senior Member

24. KinkySmallFace1991

At least they should mix things up a bit on Sunday when they hook up with Stevie Nicks in London. It's always fun when they back her for "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around".

FJFP likes this.
  25. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Wow, that's this Sunday. I looked at it. Thought about it for a minute. But I hate those outdoor gigs, staring at a stick figure in the distance or looking at a big screen and thinking, this would sound so much better on my system at home. And all the other conveniences too.

So, from someone who once flew from Scotland to California for two TP gigs in 1991, convinced he would never tour Europe again (he did, a few months later)... I will be happy with my memories of Wembley 1987, LA and San Diego 1991, Glasgow 1992, Shepherd's bush 1999 and the Royal Albert Hall a few years back.

Stephen J and FourWalledWorld like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.