Tom Petty vinyl box set 1994-2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, Oct 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I can see them releasing these individually, but it will likely take a couple of years. I don't think they will limit these box sets if they are selling.

2. Ok impatient record geeks. Wildflowers sounds amazing. Perfect flat quiet pressing. I've never had this on vinyl. What a wonderful album.

I'd say quality wise ; all in records and covers , this is one of the best boxes ever. No cutting corners. Quality great printing , no second generation knock off crap. All good.

But that piece of foam in box two could have had a nice book. Or room for his next two records or you could stick your Mudcrutch LPs inside.

Clanceman, Lethrus, btltez and 6 others like this.
  3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Newbury Comics on Newbury street has one of these boxes and is having a 25% off vinyl sale. If they would have had vol. 1 in stock I would have gone downtown to grab it.

ex_mixer and Mazzy like this.
  4. picket131

picket131 Forum Resident

Ordered Vol. 2 on 11-27 just received email from PopMart that it has shipped.

5. Paul Beatty

Paul Beatty Forum Resident

Did popmarket send you a "shipped" email before it arrived?

6. They usually do w tracking link.

7. Canoli

Canoli Forum Resident

The amount I sold my original Wildflowers for just paid for Volume 2 from PopMarket with the promo code. Thanks! I'm excited for this!

Jam757 likes this.
  8. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

That trade was very well worth it! Congrats! I might sell my Mojo and Hypnotic Eye, i certainly dont need duplicates. Then again I am usually too lazy or dont have enough time to list things for sale. I've been playing Tom Petty non stop in the car this week in anticipation of this set. Also, got the Greatest Hits Lp in the mail the other day which sounds fantastic.

9. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Anyone in the UK have a link for second box set

10. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

Nope. Just appeared.

11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I didn't even order a set, and it just appeared too. An early Xmas miracle!!! ;)

Mazzy and jon9091 like this.
  12. bootbox

bootbox Forum Resident

With the exception of She's The One so far, the whole box set is cut really hot. I'm not completely convinced my cartridge is up to the task. There's no trace of sibilance on tons of stuff in my collection (most recently, the 2xLP 45rpm Fleetwood Mac reissues, completely flawless playback) but that could just be that they aren't as challenging to track.

I've swapped in this cartridge today:
    [​IMG]

A low hour AT34EII. There's much less to go wrong with alignment as you just set the overhang (49mm in my case) and the rest is locked in. The sibilance I'm hearing is about half what it was with the AT33EV, but it's not gone completely.

Neither of the two cartridges have the most advanced stylus profiles though (both plain elliptical), so I'm tempted to pick up something with a more advanced profile to see if I can cure this completely. Considering the OC9III at the moment. Then again, this may just be baked into this box set. I'm anxious to see what other reviews say when they start to roll in here.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  13. Hot? Meaning you can't turn them up ? So far I've played the first three in box 2 and actually have to crank them up a bit. They sound amazing

14. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I don't have my hands on this yet but if this set even sounds close to the sound achieved on the Greatest Hits 2lp I am going to be blown away. Freakin' incredible job on the Greatest Hits double vinyl for those of you that dont have it. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED and sounds beautiful!

Grohlfan and sennj like this.
  15. bootbox

bootbox Forum Resident

They definitely sound amazing. No question the whole box set is an absolute triumph, I'm beyond thrilled. Many AAA releases though, especially those cut by all-star engineers, can be hotter than normal.

From our host on this topic, from this thread: Sibilence on DCC Paul Simon LP »

More on this here (the thread starter in this one cured their sibilance with a Microline profile AT440MLA:
    Many LPs are incompatible with normal cartridges - can't be played without sibilance »

16. Hmm well they sound great with my RP6 w Exact

bootbox likes this.
  17. hiddman

hiddman Forum Resident

I was hoping to make it without buying these boxes but you guys are doing what you do.

18. Ain't that the truth around here. This is a brutal place.

The Killer and Jam757 like this.
  19. bootbox

bootbox Forum Resident

Before I got too crazy (maybe a bit late eh?) swapping carts / buying new gear trying to slay the hard 's' sounds on Wildflowers, I figured I'd fire up my FLAC rips of the CD real quick. They sound exactly the same.

So the slight sibilance I noticed is just how Tom sings. I feel pretty stupid, feel free to pile on for a bit, I can take it :laugh: Sorry for the hardware derail, back to the music on these incredible box sets.

Oh and I mentioned earlier that I requested CCMusic cancel my order for both box sets and refund my PayPal. They ignored my request and found some box sets to mail me suddenly. They'll be here early next week. Looks like I'll have the 1st box after all, and an additional sealed copy of the 2nd box as well. I won't bother sending it back I don't think, too much hassle and not sure I want to poke the CCMusic customer service beast any more than I already have. I may gift my second copy of box 2 to my friend back east as she's a huge Petty fan and was drooling over the pics I sent her last night of my unboxing.

20. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

I did the exact same thing and--surprise, surprise--I had shipping confirmation within the half-hour. Probably just a coincidence... Or a Festivus miracle.

Enjoy your music--looks like these are very nicely done sets.

I also plumped for the latest Bowie Who Can I Be Now? LP set and the Kinks mono vinyl set (both to-good-to-pass-up PopMarket deals), so I'll be swimming in good vinyl for the upcoming holiday season. Should think of getting something for the wife and kid as well, I suppose...:D

azjvm05, Thesmellofvinyl and Mazzy like this.
  21. I believe you are experiencing this. I am not.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  22. Paul Beatty

Paul Beatty Forum Resident

Popmarket people - how were box sets shipped? UPS? Also, how long after the shipped email did your package arrived - if you did receive an email. Thanks, I'm a bit anxious....

23. When you buy from pop market you usually get a choice for either UPS or Media Mail. Both free.

24. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Just cleaned and completed raw rips of Wildflowers and She's The One. Both sound lovely and the vinyl on both is exceptionally quiet. However, all three LPs have some warping issues to them. I did not examine them on the turntable prior to cleaning them, so something in the cleaning process could have contributed to this. I have noticed that 180+ gram vinyl seems to exhibit this more than standard vinyl. Fortunately I have a record clamp, and I am not afraid to use it.

I will put Echo on the table prior to cleaning and see if I notice any warping with that one.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  25. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

My sleeve WAS cut on this title due to the sharp edge!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.