Tom Petty vinyl box set 1994-2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, Oct 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Well this is all very frustrating, especially for those of us on the non-USA side of the Atlantic, none of this stuff appears anywhere yet that I can find.

2. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Found it, cost me $240 from a UK seller but at least no import duty.

3. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Tom Petty may be the only artist whose box of later material outsells his earlier stuff.

If it weren't for Into the Great Wide Ooen, I'd have zero interest in vol. 1; everything therein is available for <$5 at your local record store (well, maybe not Full Moon Fever but even that's not an impossible find!).

Jam757, violetvinyl and Szeppelin75 like this.
  4. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Not quite. Tom Petty owns the two Shelter Records albums (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and You're Gonna Get It!), both of which have been distributed by Warner Bros. since at least 2002; everything from Damn the Torpedoes through Greatest Hits is owned by Universal.

MWC likes this.
  5. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Sean, FJFP, MWC and 1 other person like this.
  6. MWC

MWC Forum Resident

I read that as Mojo and Hypnotic Eye were already remastered and the other ones are getting the remastered treatment. They worded it really weird though.

Same thing with Vol. 1. The first 3 were remastered already. So they remastered the other ones.

AKA likes this.
  7. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Whoever said Chris Bellman is probably correct then.

MWC likes this.
  8. MWC

MWC Forum Resident

I'm guessing Ryan Ulayte did the remastering?.?.

9. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I managed to get ITGWO on vinyl for a £1 with a seam split at the top, and FMF is cheap as chips here in the UK too. Lots of interest in that later period box though, but I already have 2 copies of Hypnotic Eye...

Clanceman likes this.
  10. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I am going to have to purchase both box sets as his earlier stuff has really been neglected.

11. Nick Fuller

Nick Fuller Forum Resident

12. Nick Fuller

Wonder if they will get separate releases

gss likes this.
  13. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

Could be, of course and CB is cutting them from HiRes Digital. But the "Damn" Remaster Vinyl Disc 1 was a full analogue Cut by CB if I remember correctly.

14. Nick Fuller

Can you get these in U.K. ?

FJFP likes this.
  15. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

Mojo and Hypnotic Eye only exist in digital, seeing as they were recorded in ProTools. Everything else, though, was recorded analog. @ryan de topanga is very picky about these things (and I'm grateful for that!), so I assume everything bar the ProTools albums will be cut from analog, if Ryan's in charge.

16. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Does this mean my She's The One isn't worth 200 dollars anymore?

Clanceman, xTraPlaylists and Grohlfan like this.
  17. Grohlfan

Grohlfan Dan

Wildflowers can be bought now with half of his catalog for half the price! Think of it??

greg_t likes this.
  18. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I was hoping for some sort of rarities disc in each. This is cool still! I probably won't bother with the first volume since all those records can be found cheap (except FMF and ITGWO). I have FMF and maybe the price of an old copy of ITGWO will come down.

19. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

Why the secrecy regarding who cut the albums? Tom's catalogue has been taken care of very well in the high res department and I can only assume the boxes will be cut and pressed with care.

BRING ON THE MASTERING ENGINEER AND THE PLANT INFO!!!!!! :)

20. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I got the vinyl reissues of the first two albums from a while back; I have good pressings of most of the other albums (including Wildflowers and Highway Companion but not ITGWO or STO) and Blu-Rays of Torpedos and the more recent releases. So I guess I will pass, massive Petty fan as I am, and hope for individual releases in due course.

21. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

22. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

"The MCA box was cut by Chris Bellman with TP's engineer Ryan Ulyate at Bernie Grundman Mastering from the original analog master tapes and the records were pressed by QRP. PTL!!!!!!"

No word on the WB box yet though...

Cassius, Vinylsoul 1965 and Gardo like this.
  23. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident

Any idea if some of these albums will be released individually? Wildflowers please?

24. Nick Fuller

No one knows on individual releases

25. Zensound

Zensound Forum Resident

I've read somewhere that Petty never liked She's The One lp; not sure why, I think it's great.

FJFP and George Blair like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.