Tom Petty vinyl box set 1994-2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, Oct 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

Oh Boy !!!

2. Really curious about DTT. I'll want to do a shootout along with the original Sterling and the ORG reissue.

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Those crazy days of spending a truckload for certain titles have passed for me. I wasn't going to pay the asking price for Wildflowers. The good thing about this vinyl resurgence is that some of these titles are getting reissued by great mastering studios, AAA.

What really surprised me is the original vinyl was digitally sourced.

4. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

The original vinyl sounds great. It is one of my favorite LPs, and I bought it new for $9.99 in 2003!

Catch22 likes this.
  5. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

That ends up being about the best price I've found. I have little experience with Collectors Choice though outside of a few KISS reissues. How reliable are they typically? Do they actual deliver on what they advertise in a reasonable time frame, pack well, good return policy?

I'm getting so comfortable with Music Direct it's hard to go elsewhere. The price here is enticing though.

6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I've ordered from CCM in the past without any problems.

sonofjim likes this.
  7. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Pre-ordered both sets through CCM. Ridiculous, but there is no way on earth I won't end up with these and the price is very good. I assume the OCTCCM25 is only good for a couple more days. ( Hopefully, after that it doesn't become NOVCCM35).

Tullman likes this.
  8. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Anyone else having a problem with reaching the "checkout" page?

9. I just looked at CCM and the price of the box sets have gone up $24.21 each. I'm glad that i bought them when I did.

sonofjim likes this.
  10. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Sometimes it pays to get sniped!!

11. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Not for me about an hour and a half ago. I got the confirmation email right away.

12. Vinyl Addict

Yeah it wasn't working on my phone, worked on the laptop though. Ordered box set #2.

13. rpd

rpd Senior Member

These three were actually recorded analog to tape????

14. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

New pics taken from Amazon. Notice the bumped corners on HC and Hypnotic Eye is the 2-LP edition, not the 1-LP included in the box. I bet these are sleeve pictures from the released editions... maybe the new ones are not ready yet. Funny.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. I'm a huge Petty fan. Echo was the first album I was willing to spend more than $50 to buy. I bought a sealed copy for $220 last year. That put me on a slippery slope where buying more expensive original pressings seemed justifiable.

I ended up getting sealed copies of The Last DJ ($180) and Wildflowers. I'm almost embarrassed to admit that my sealed copy of Wildflowers was $400. I didn't set out to buy sealed copies. That's just what was available that was at least Near Mint when I was looking to buy. I, of course, opened them immediately and all three albums get spun regularly.

So at this point I've spent $800 just on those three albums. But I also have two copies of Hypnotic Eye, the regular release and the special two LP version. And, of course, I already have copies of the other albums in Vol 2 with the exception of She's the One, which I've never gotten around to buying.

Despite having great copies of all but one of these albums, I'll be damned if Petty isn't still forcing me to buy this box just to get AAA versions of Echo, Wildflowers and The Last DJ. Damn you Tom Petty!!!!!!

Volume 1 seems like an easier decision to buy. I have all of these albums, but most were played quite a bit in their day and have enough surface noise to justify new vinyl. If the masterings are also better/different, then that's just an extra bonus.

Tropehjelm, kcjayhawk and mick_sh like this.
  16. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Releases like this make it dangerous to buy older OOP releases right now especially from mainstream artists. I almost spent big money on Tom Petty's Greatest Hits right before he released the new one.

17. gss

gss Forum Resident

Anyone want to weigh in on if these discs might be available separately?

18. Bloom

Bloom You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards

For as near as we have knowledge of, no.

Jack likes this.
  19. bootbox

bootbox Forum Resident

I'm about to commit to buy both sets on Collector's Choice but I'm hesitating (I'm going to do it anyway). I've got this suspicion that these sets will hit $99 each on Popmarket eventually.

There's also the very real possibility that they'll sell out and be hard to come by a year from now. I'm not taking any chances after that 'all analogue' announcement, still though, it's killing me.

20. Pop mark has them but nowhere near that low.

21. bootbox

bootbox Forum Resident

Nice pics of the second box from Amazon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grohlfan likes this.
  22. Davey

Davey NP: a.s.o. ~ a.s.o. (2023 LP)

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  23. Vinyl Addict

I know. The 2 threads are confusing me, not that it takes much to confuse me. :winkgrin:

24. OSO 121

OSO 121 Member

I sold my sealed copy of Wildflowers 2 years ago when I though the reissue was imminent... then watched in horror as the price on ebay has since doubled. I feel like this is long-awaited, and the fact that it will be analog sourced is amazing.

I've tried the Collector's Choice Vinyl site + OCTCCM25 code this morning, and it does not work. I'm buying through amazon, and right now it's about $250 after taxes.

I'm planning on selling most of the rest of the boxset, as I already have copies.

25. Vinyl Addict

Wow, I'm glad I put my order in when I did on Friday night.

Bullmoose has the box sets for $219.99 (I think shipping may be free too, not sure though)

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Complete Studio Albums Vol 2 (1994-2014) »

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.