Tom Petty vinyl box set 1994-2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, Oct 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CowboyBob

CowboyBob Forum Resident

Huh!

Just opened my vol. 2 and all have poly lined inner sleeves. All records impeccable. Sound is flawless. Music is legendary. The only 'original' i had from this era was 'Hypnotic Eye'. Needless to say, extremely happy with this.

My only complaint, albeit small, is that there is no indication of how limited the set is (3000?). If they are all released individually, as they have been with the exception of 'Wildflowers', there would be no reason to buy the 'box'.

otter likes this.
  2. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Over the last three months or so I've picked up nearly all of the TP albums individually. I now have 15 out of the 16 albums from within the two boxes, to say I'm pleased would be an understatement, the mastering by Chris Bellman is top notch and really makes the music shine. Pressing wise I've found the Dutch pressed EU copies are to a higher standard than the QRP pressed US versions, which unlike their EU counterparts suffer from some surface noise. That said, I highly recommend these LP's to anyone who loves TP and The Heartbreakers, the most affordable way I found was to pick the albums up individually, in fact I managed to grab the 15 titles I have for a total of £257 GBP, whereas if I'd gone for the two boxes the total cost would have been over £500 GBP.

Joti Cover, Sean, Cassius and 2 others like this.
  3. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I'm also in the UK and bought the Vol 1 box for, I think £180 in a deal, but I'm not going to spend £250 - £325 on box 2. Where did you find the best place was to buy your box 2 LPs separately?

hodgo likes this.
  4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I found the boxes on sale as a pre-order for about what you paid for individual titles.

hodgo likes this.
  5. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

That's in the States though, they're a lot more expensive in the UK unfortunately

FourWalledWorld and hodgo like this.
  6. hodgo

Yes the box set prices are ridiculous, particularily Box 2. I largely used the third party sellers on Amazon UK, in particular all your music from the USA and from the EU zoreno-uk and hotshotrecordsgermany, the latter who I managed to pick up "Hypnotic Eye" for the bargain price of £13.73 including delivery.

FourWalledWorld and Porkpie like this.
  7. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

That's great, thanks I'll look into it. I'm not sure I want Mojo and Wildflowers, well we all know issue with getting that one, but I'm in for the rest.

hodgo likes this.
  8. hodgo

Yes, sadly, the prices for the boxes this side of the Atlantic are way too high, I'm just thankful that they also released the titles individually, if only more artists would do this.

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  9. And, also The Great White North.

Sean likes this.
  10. hodgo

I really enjoy Mojo a lot, though I also understand it's not to everyone's liking. Wildflowers I also like but I'll have to make do with my CD version until it is finally given an individual release on vinyl.

Rocketdog, Sean and Porkpie like this.
  11. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Presumably that will be the deluxe "and the rest" double album issue so in this instance, I'm happy to wait for it. The vol 1 boxset is fantastic. Now I'm eyeing up the ZZ Top Cinco set...

hodgo likes this.
  12. CowboyBob

CowboyBob Forum Resident

Love mojo! 'Something good coming' is worth the price if admission for me!

Rocketdog, theshape and hodgo like this.
  13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I love it on Blu ray, in 5.1.

hodgo likes this.
  14. Pete-rooted

Pete-rooted New Member

So, Wildflowers, ....when are we looking at a release date ....? Anyone know ...?

(Sorry couldn't be bothered to scroll through 66 pages ....)

enro99 and John Bliss like this.
  15. Did you hear for sure it's going to be released?

16. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

No release date yet but presumably it's being held back for a deluxe edition. Tom is rumoured to be going on a scaled-down tour next year so a release to coincide with that, would make sense.

17. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

They're probably going to start pushing and promoting the Deluxe Edition when the tour is over. A Christmas release makes sense, but, you know...

18. Sci-Fi Kid

Sci-Fi Kid Forum Resident

She's the One is currently on sale for $12.59 at SoundStageDirect.com. It's become one of my favorite Tom Petty albums after finally checking it out during this vinyl reissue series.

Rockinrob, Grohlfan and Spadeygrove like this.
  19. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Hoping they still reissue Wildflowers as a deluxe edition.

Szeppelin75, cwitt1980 and jon9091 like this.
  20. petey

petey Forum Resident

I've got a copy of this as well. Picked it up out of a bin for $9. A keeper for sure!

21. petey

petey Forum Resident

Has anybody compared the original US Wildflowers to the KG copy? - thanks!

22. Myke

Kevin didn't do Wildflowers, what are you talking about ?

23. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

24. Myke

25. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

It’s like a secret mastering or something, although I’m not sure why they’d keep it a secret if KG did it. Baffling.

John Bliss likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.