Tom Petty vinyl box set 1994-2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, Oct 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I bought a copy of The Last DJ and it sounds perfect. Way better than my CD copy bought when it was released.
    Bad QC really puts a dampen on new vinyl. I have bought all flawless copies of TP catalog.
    Sorry about your luck moonshiner

Fullbug likes this.
  2. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

That stinks. I’ll have to check mine. I’ve had the box from release. I don’t know if I’ve listened to it closely yet ( from box) myself.

3. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

I purchased the box set when it was released. I had to return the first set because side two of Echo had the paper from the center hole punch-out stuck to the record surface. (which was a first) The second set I received was perfect. And all of the records are flat, dead silent, and are some of the best sounding reissues I've listened to. I wonder if these individual releases are more problematic than the box sets?

Bryce likes this.
  4. robd2

robd2 Well-Known Member

That center hole punch out stuck to the record surface was crazy. I also had that problem on Echo. I guess it was somewhat common.

PooreBoy likes this.
  5. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I just picked up the She’s The One vinyl since my grandma got a new turntable that can rip to FLAC. I have the rest of the catalog in hi-res, so I opted for the one LP that didn’t get a hi-res release. I’ve never liked how either the original CD or Mastered for iTunes download sounded and based on reviews here, I’m pumped to finally hear this album in all its sonic glory!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    jpmosu, hodgo, John Bliss and 2 others like this.
  6. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i haven't seen a statement this cool on this forum in a long time.

7. KinkySmallFace1991

@Tommyboy can attest to how cool my grandma is. She'll be 88 next month, and the coolest person I know.

Juggsnelson, Tedw9, Imagine70 and 7 others like this.
  8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Long live your grandma!

jpmosu, Juggsnelson, Tedw9 and 5 others like this.
  9. mfurbu

mfurbu New Member

Well as for me (I started this thread) I picked up the box set (vol 2), had the owner of a local record shop order me one. As it turned out Petty sadly passed away just a few months after my purchasing it, and as there were only a couple thousand of these sets made the value skyrocketed overnight. I will not be getting rid of mine anytime soon though. Sounds like there's been mixed experiences but every single LP in my TP vinyl box set looks and sounds phenomenal. Very quiet vinyl, and the music has the analog warmth you would expect to hear...even hypnotic eye sounds just slightly less cold in the vinyl format when compared to a digital stream (I believe that was the only album of his to be recorded with pro-tools), it's as if simply being transferred to an analog source seems to have rolled off some of the "icyness" that digital recording can have...and it's nice to own the whole collection in the LP format. Wildflowers in particular really shines, but they're all really great. No regrets at all.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  10. greg_t

greg_t Senior Member

Acoustic sounds has volume 1 back in stock. I got an email from them on it last week and it's on their site. Hoping that means volume 2, or at least wildflowers is coming back soon.

11. KinkySmallFace1991

Bumping this thread for some good news:

This post: Tom Petty Live Anthology Reissue???*

mentions that Volume 2 is supposed to be getting a repress. I will not miss out this time around. I was so blown away with the quality of She's the One, I'm ready for the rest of them now.

Eric Weinraub likes this.
  12. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I bought them both roughly at their time of release... was a smart move. They sound awesome. So far, the news of the repress appears the only momentum behind his catalog. I do wish the Live Anthology, which goes more stupid money than these boxes, would get a repress as its really a testament to the essence of TP & The Hearbreakers, LIVE

Dave_B80 likes this.
  13. Vinyl Richie

Vinyl Richie Forum Resident

Ummm

Rockinrob likes this.
  14. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Tom Petty Live Anthology Reissue???*

15. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I guess I should have dug a little deeper. SoundstageDirect says they have it in stock "Warehouse Find" I just ordered...we'll see what happens.

16. KinkySmallFace1991

Mojo and the two Mudcrutch albums were also recorded with ProTools

Rockinrob likes this.
  17. coz

coz Member

Yes in addition to the Live Anthology Repress looks like Vinyl Box 2 becoming available again too. Music Direct showing Vol 2 in stock with next day ship

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2018
  18. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

This is good news. I would think enough demand is still out there. I'm definitely down for a volume 2 box if it becomes available again.

19. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

Where is a wildflowers vinyl release?

20. coz

coz Member

Been asking this long time.... I'm thinking 25th anniversary Wildflowers (next year), but got tired of waiting. Ordered Vinyl Box Vol 2 from music direct (15% discount using 4th15). Just got confirmation that it's shipped.

randy9700 and Yankeefan01 like this.
  21. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

Looking at their price of $259.99 and minus 15% off that is a deal. Anybody wanting that box should jump on this!

22. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

I cannot recommend the Box sets enough. I received both Volumes for Christmas the year they were released despite owning originals. I'd say all of the reissues from Into the Great Wide Open through The Last DJ blew their original counterparts out of the water. Even the early releases were fantastic.

I wouldn't sleep on this. Even if you only want Wildflowers, it's well worth it. You should at least be able to sell the other items in the box and get back $100 or so.

John Bliss and randy9700 like this.
  23. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

Almost a guarantee that the release will be shortly after the Vol. 2 box set sales either drop off or it goes OOP again. WF is the only real draw to the box set. You can get all of the individual LP's for a little more than $100 shipped and the box itself is not that special....You also get copies that are sealed when buying individually whereas only the box itself is sealed. Add into it that when you buy the box there is every chance that you will have split seams from the shipping and handling process.

That said, this is currently a great way (and the only way) to get a copy of WF without paying some ridiculous price on the bay.

John Bliss likes this.
  24. greg_t

greg_t Senior Member

I ordered the box from music direct using the 15% off scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Not willing to risk that they may not again release wildflowers individually.

25. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

Went ahead and grabbed both vol. 1 & 2 sets. Notification claims they'll be here on the 10th. Nice. \m/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.