Tom Petty "Wildflowers" vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kingsley Candler, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

Wildflowers is a great album. I love every song on that one. Petty, in my opinion, was the greatest singer/songwriter. An absolute gem - as a musician and person. I miss him.

pocofan, Favre508 and Tedw9 like this.
  2. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Is this getting a release separate from the box... I'm getting tired of waiting...

Porkpie likes this.
  3. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Tired of waiting is an understatement. :waiting:

4. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

I had three of his albums. Like them all. Once I started tuning in to Siriusxm Tom Petty channel did I realize what a truly incredible artist he was.

Clonesteak likes this.
  5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I was once told by WB that the hold up is they want to wait until Wildflowers 2 gets it proper release and they were planning on adding the original in with it as 'The Complete Wild flowers"...was fortunate to get a promo of the vinyl when first released, and the sound quality is an 11 out of 10! Crazy the price particular vinyl goes for these days...

ellingtonic likes this.
  6. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Wildflowers 2? Tom was planning a 'sequel'?

7. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Lots of leftovers from the original sessions - some used for the She's the One soundtrack, quite a few unreleased. There was a plan for a reissue of the album with the unreleased tracks before Tom died. his death put the plans on hold. There is still no clarity on exactly how the reissue is going to be handled.

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

There is an entire album from the sessions not released and is still supposedly going to be released as WF2 at some time. I sat in a meeting with WB execs that confirmed this. Now with that said, maybe it has been shelved because of his untimely passing...I have been retired for a few years now, so of course things can change...

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I've never seen a company so hell-bent on capitalizing their earnings at the expense of what the customers want. (OK... slight hyperbole born of frustration.)

There can be no other reason for holding the basic album back (let alone volume 2). And... unfortunately... Mr. Petty himself won't reap the profits when they finally come rolling in....

10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

There is another way to look at this (not disagreeing with what you say here) but if WB wanted to cash in on TP music, especially vinyl, why did they not start releasing more stuff soon after he passed? Plus, no 2018 RSD title either. Could they maybe be respecting his estate? I don't have any idea, but this is something to think about...

11. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Now with the American Treasure box on it's way, it looks like the vaults are going to open now. As for a Wildflowers 2, it'll at least be a year now.

scotti likes this.
  12. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I just got the re-pressed boxset. The first thing I played obviously is Wildflowers. It sounds amazing. But, they went low budget on this pressing. It’s not 180gm (no big deal to me), and cheap generic inner sleeves. Luckily, the album is flat and dead silent.

Cassius and scotti like this.
  13. windfall

windfall Senior Member

It's only been just over nine months. Family is deeply involved in Petty's estate. I think we can reasonably have expected a time lag between his death and family and bandmates reaching a point where they are ready to look at what is in the vault. And then that long sifting process begins. Meanwhile, people have lives to live (family) and other musical commitments (Benmont, Mike).

Given all that, I don't think the timeframe is unreasonable at all. The American Treasure compilation strikes me as a sensible first step with Petty's posthumous catalogue. The Wildflowers project will come to fruition in due course. I can see a marketing angle in withholding Wildflowers from individual release, but also a kind of logic. I believe it would have been released much sooner if Petty had not died. Now there are plans in place for giving the album special treatment, so they are holding back on an individual vinyl release for it.

iloveguitars, Mazzy and scotti like this.
  14. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Fair enough one and all. I'll withhold further judgment.

15. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well said!

16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Love my original pressing. :hugs:

17. Aside for a 25th Anniversary edition? Petty himself said how special this album was to him and that he would be revisiting it for a possible tour and re introduction. So it is special to Petty and Company and will come out on it's own and not crowded with other things.

I love the album but it's not like the majority of his fans are clamoring for it. They want the hits and things like this career overview.

Be patient. And if you cannot, then buy the big set #2 which easily available...or the CD.

lucan_g and 500Homeruns like this.
  18. So it is the weight of most records from the past 50 plus years, before this silly 180g kick ? :tiphat:

Opeth likes this.
  19. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Exactly! It doesn’t sound 30gms lighter, that’s for sure.

Mazzy likes this.
  20. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Sorry I am a bit confused. Has volume 2 of the studio albums with Wildflowers been repressed?
    I am assuming the Live Anthology 7 lp vinyl I just bought (foolishly I only bought the box with the blu-ray first time round) is just recently found stock but maybe I am wrong on that.

21. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

It's a 140g repress.

22. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Live Anthology is a repress that's averaging 150-160 grams, not 180.

Both Complete album boxes, including Volume 2, have also been repressed this year. I recall those were also lighter weight pressings.

23. After weighting every LP of the Live Anthology repress. They are all between 150-160 in actuality.

Flaming Torch and Tullman like this.
  24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

25. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

Reading a lot of the above posts and thinking, Tom's gotta be chuckling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.