Tom Waits Reissuing Anti Records Albums (2017), incl. Orphans (2018) Plus Elektra Back Catalogue *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

There were black pressings of the faulty versions as well. Had to exchange copies of Nighthawks and Closing Time to get the corrected Bellman versions. I just wonder if these will be all analog like the Bellman versions or from high resolution digital like the other Anti reissues.

Dayfold likes this.
  2. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

Never heard that before. Great song, thanks!

3. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

Thanks for the info.
    I was wondering the same thing about these coming Elektra Asylum re-issues. No details on the anti- website about who has done the remastering or if they're AAA (I suppose that means they're not or they would promote them as such, no?)

4. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

5. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

I remember one (think it was Small Change but can't remember) being indistinguishable between the two versions. But surprisingly, when I put em on eBay, or took them to a record shop for trade, no one was interested because they didn't have sleeves.

6. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

When I bought the vinyl Small Change upon its release, the sleeve was paper and included the lyrics.
    When I re-bought the vinyl Small Change years later, the sleeve was translucent plastic.
    Sometimes, it's all about the detailing.

7. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I thought that would be an issue too but the copies I had were Heart of Saturday Night & Nighthawks and were red vinyl so I think that helped. They came in thick, clear sleeves with a waxy feel that the records had given a red tint to. My copies of Small Change & Closing Time are black vinyl.

8. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

He did not remaster them personally, just did the supervision, whatever that means. And again he did not want to "remaster" them because of making them sound different, just to make them sound as the original vinyl release, why remaster then at all is a mystery to me. Anyway who did the actual remastering???

Had the new remaster of Mule Variations and to my ears the CB cut sounded better (more space and air).....but just my impression. I think the new remasters are no upgrade in any way....only for Real Gone (at least to me) because I prefer the new Mix.

9. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

I just picked up a Mule Variations last night and thought it sounded excellent.
    Not sure when it was released- but the packaging did mention re-mastered from all analog sources
    So there's a prior release (Bellman)...?
    confused.

10. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

11. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

WOW! This is incredible. My favorite era of TW (I know, please don't kill me). Beautiful song that I've never heard. Thanks for posting

Dayfold likes this.
  12. Alfie Noakes

Alfie Noakes Not Dark Yet....

Hoping for a good Bone Machine reissue someday.....

13. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

I contacted Anti- to ask who has done the remastering on these forthcoming Elektra era reissues and also if the lp's were from AAA or digital sources. The reply was that ''no additional info is available just yet."

14. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Why you say that?

15. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

Why i say what? That it’s my favorite era? Or don’t kill me? I say it’s my favorite era cause it’s the music I’ve connected with the most. I say don’t kill me cause i have encounterd some TW fans who consider me nuts for not only loving Raindogs and forward.

16. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’ve got a friend like that who only liked Swordfish & Raindogs. I just can’t understand not liking stuff from his entire career but this friend is a bit consciously “cool” so I think it may have something to do with that.

nfmboss666 likes this.
  17. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

From what I've read, I think Tom himself would be quite happy if the general impression was that his career began with the Island albums.

18. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

It was good to see him on Storytellers revisiting some of his older stuff.

Maurice likes this.
  19. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

I prefer the first part of his career by far

nfmboss666 likes this.
  20. findog3103

findog3103 Forum Resident

What’s cool about Tom is he does have different parts of his career. Not an one-trick pony.

seasonsinthesky and nfmboss666 like this.
  21. djhurley92

djhurley92 Well-Known Member

For Mule Variations, Discogs seems to list Chris Bellman / BG mastering for the 2017 master also. Is this incorrect? Do we know who did master this?

Also totally separate question, is the remastered Glitter and Doom less compressed than the original?

Thanks

22. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident

Yeah- that’s why I’m confused. Honestly not going to worry about it too much. My copy sounds fantastic regardless.

23. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

Sometimes users carry over information from a former release. I have not seen CB in the dead wax of the recent reissue.

24. Any news on the Orphans re-issue date yet?

25. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

And I prefer Bone Machine to the present.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.