Tom Waits Reissuing Anti Records Albums (2017), incl. Orphans (2018) Plus Elektra Back Catalogue *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

You must have a duff copy then! :D

2. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

:shrug:

3. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Only joking!

4. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

My Blue Valentine was fine.

Porkpie likes this.
  5. Echoes Myron

Only a few tracks in but Heartattack and Vine sounds excellent. I have the green vinyl. Quiet presssing so far.

This is actually the first time I have heard this TW album. It seems to be better recorded than some of his prior? There is also a little flavor of what was to come with his Island years. I like what I am hearing so far!

Tropehjelm and Porkpie like this.
  6. Johnny Wong

Johnny Wong Ya der hey.

Picked up Coke bottle green copy of Heartattack today. Flat, silent and wonderful. I’ve never had LP of this before, But it sounds fuller than CD copy I have. Very pleased.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  7. keithdylan

keithdylan Master of His Own Domain

I got my replacement Closing Time the other day. Anyone else get their's?

Echoes Myron likes this.
  8. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

Hi, I've never delve into Waits Asylum Records catalogue. What would be a good starting point? I'm not in the mood for a whole album of ballads, i like the weird stuff more to be honest.

Clucking likes this.
  9. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Not yet, but thanks for the info! :righton:

10. keithdylan

keithdylan Master of His Own Domain

I would start with Small Change. It was my intro, then maybe Heart Attack and Vine, which I find underappreciated by some. Maybe Nighthawks at the Diner would be good for you too. The problem is if you like the weird stuff, that really started at Island. Tom was in his "normal" phase at Asylum.:)

11. Echoes Myron

Good recommendations. Particularly Heartattack and Vine gets closest to the Island sound. Plus it has Jersey Girl.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  12. Echoes Myron

Not yet for me either. How does it sound?

13. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i concur. "small change" will give you a little of everything-tom. it's an oustanding collection of songs from start to finish to boot.

14. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I just bought One From the Heart on vinyl today, found the MOV copy new for £15. I’d always put off getting it as it’s a duets album and I’m not familiar with Crystal Gayle really but I’m really enjoying it. Reminiscent of Blue Valentine and Foreign Affairs.

15. andres lira

Well, i gave Small Change a quick listen via Spotfy. My impression is that it veers towards his drunk and heartbroken persona a little too much with the exception of Step Right Up. That one i can see it in an Island Records era album like Franks Wild Years. I guess i will relisten when i´m in the appropriate mood. Thanks for the recommendation!

16. Tropehjelm

Tropehjelm Forum Resident

You should give Bone Machine a listen.

slashdot87 and Clucking like this.
  17. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Right

slashdot87 likes this.
  18. andres lira

I'm familiar with the records from Swordfishtrombones onwards. They are all excellent. Not so much with what came before.

19. Tropehjelm

Tropehjelm Forum Resident

I see. Then i have to echo the People voting for Heartattack And Wine.

Echoes Myron and andres lira like this.
  20. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Red Shoes totally distortion free here too. Nice and open, clear as a bell. He certainly is close to the mic but that’s just him. Good luck

Echoes Myron likes this.
  21. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I'd strongly recommend "Blue Valentine". I see it as the turning point to the style that he would elaborate through his Island years. A great album.

bjlefebvre, Dmann201 and Echoes Myron like this.
  22. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

All of these are as dynamic as they need to be on the CD remasters. DR 10 and the like. They sound absolutely amazing. Not sure why anyone would prefer the old masters at this point. The detail is amazing on these as well.

Pretty much getting the whole catalogue as I have waited quite a long time. I have all the others on digital.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  23. khronikos

khronikos Forum Resident

Closing Time is basically his best voice per se and a great album of little ditties that is as traditional as he gets. It sounds great on the CD remaster now and obviously it is still Tom Waits. You don't really understand what Waits is all about with this album though.

The Heart of Saturday Night is a slightly sleazier crooner album, an ode to some of the different sides of Sinatra. A beauty.

Small Change is where we see the beatnik wild man more or less presenting himself in the mode of pastiche, but it's realistic and a great time of sad tunes and more upbeat jazzy stuff. It's the segue into his stylings from then on.

From that period on up you get a slightly changing version of his maturity throughout his years until the late 80s period where he goes into the queen's carnival and never comes back.

24. IFP

IFP Forum Resident

Any more reports about how the Heartattack and Vine reissue vinyl sounds? We've had a couple of positive reviews here, but there's at least one complaint on Amazon of another bad pressing. Hopefully that's an isolated incident, I really want a nice vinyl copy of this.

25. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

It's here and it's perfect! :righton:

CBackley and Echoes Myron like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.