Tom Waits Reissuing Anti Records Albums (2017), incl. Orphans (2018) Plus Elektra Back Catalogue *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Interesting, because in the UK Kings Road Merch store, "Bad As Me" looks like it's pictured as a single LP with 13 songs listed on two sides.

Bad As Me | Remastered 180g Vinyl

2. Charlie Newman

Charlie Newman New Member

Tom Waits is very rich

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  3. Charlie Newman

Charlie Newman New Member

Nighthawks is live. That's exactly what it is.

4. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

What constitutes a "solid live album"? Glitter and Doom was flawed only because of the crazy decision to have an album of music, and an album of chatter. I'm not sure what people are expecting. Tom is 67 years old now, and I hope touring isn't a necesssity. Frankly, when artists get older, I'd prefer they lock themselves away in some place confortable with the tape rolling anyway.

whisper3978 and ego1jr like this.
  5. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

You could argue then that studio albums are live ;) Loads of technicians were present..... :D

Just jesting :)

6. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

I'll play Real Gone again here soon. Always liked that one, but it has been more than a minute since I played it. I picked up Alice and Blood Money on vinyl when they were new releases and am probably also due for a replay on them.
    I'm in for the Orphans set and the remix on Real Gone, but I'm not sure I need to re-purchase any of the others.

Grow Fins likes this.
  7. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

I've always found that Waits messes up his live albums one way or the other. Big Time, while I guess more a soundtrack to a live movie than an actual live album, is kind of all over the place. Glitter & Doom was a jumble of various concerts with pretty terrible sound quality. And Nighthawks was sort of live, but live in a studio and isn't what I consider indicative of what his live shows were at the time, particularly since it was all new material meant for a live album.

I was really obsessed with his live shows for awhile and had a few dozen from all over his career. There are truly amazing things out there that deserve to be officially released. Just the May 1979 show in Sydney, Australia, is one of the greatest things I've ever heard.

I would love to see him start his own Bootleg Series (like Dylan), with sets devoted to different times of his career. It's an amazing evolution he's been through since the start of his career and deserves similar analysis as that of the other big names (Dylan, Young, etc.).

stefane, Merrick, IronWaffle and 3 others like this.
  8. frogfog

frogfog Zappaddict

whisper3978 likes this.
  9. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Tom's recent live appearance. He knows the lyrics as bad as me...;)
    Good to see him having some fun.

Mavis Staples & Tom Waits Live Respect Yourself

krock2009 and Grow Fins like this.
  10. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Saw on Twitter that the Tom remasters have been added to all streaming services, but on Tidal Master I'm not seeing the Real Gone remix. Giving Glitter And Doom a spin now. I saw this tour in Houston and was thrilled with the show, but I never did play this album as much as I figured it would get spun.

Grow Fins likes this.
  11. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

Ironically, the opening track is one of my favourite recordings of anything, ever, by anyone.

I also Frankenstein’d my G&D today and flew in the Tom Tales as between-song chatter. The segues range from straight fade-outs (since the album proper keeps the applause going when the next song starts) from song to song, to some pretty nifty blends. It’s far more entertaining, and ends with ‘Picture In A Frame’ instead of ‘Lucky Day’.

Grow Fins, Wild Frank and subtr like this.
  12. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I just got mail from HDTracks and "Mule Variatons", "Alice", "Blood Money", "Glitter and Doom" and "Bad As Me" are available remastered at 24/96 now.

I'm eager to her comments on these, though I have no problem with the sound of the CDs.

Edit: For some reason "Glitter and Doom" is only 24/48.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    seasonsinthesky and TonyCzar like this.
  13. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

Interesting news, and while I am not necessarily in the market for replacing my CD releases, it's certainly good to have these albums back in the spotlight and stores again. I like his material from this period, but like others here, tend to play it less frequently than I anticipated. Requires the right time and right mood I suppose - certainly my wife (who is also a Waits fan) is happier with Closing Time as the backing soundtrack to the noise of our raucious children than say, Real Gone.

It is particularly nice to see Orphans get a re-release. Such an inspiringly oddball bunch of songs, bits and pieces. God, I loved that Pontiac :laugh:

DeeThomaz likes this.
  14. RandyHat

RandyHat Senior Member

Just downloaded "Mule Variations" from HDtracks. Listening to it now. Sounds great but I have not had an opportunity yet to compare it to my CD. "What's he building in there"?

15. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

Eh?
    Tom Waits - 58 years old
    Nina Simone - 68 years old
    Bob Dylan - 70;72;74 years old
    Leonard Cohen - 74 years old
    Six of the best gigs I've ever seen. Unforgettable performances that I wouldn't have missed for the world.
    I'd love to see Tom play again, can't understand why anyone wouldn't.

englishbob, Turbo2k and budwhite like this.
  16. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

Tom Waits is now the only person on my gig wish list. Any time, any place, any price.

17. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I've actually seen tom twice, but haven't seen a tom waits concert. both were bridge school performances (1999 and 2013).

18. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Only times I saw Tom were back in the mid seventies, with the Nocturnal Emissions. Once in a small theater with Leon Redbone, the other in a club where we sat on the floor at Tom's feet (Cuban heels) while he barked over a bunch of drunken louts.

Grow Fins and Dayfold like this.
  19. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

Was very fortunate to see Tom on his last proper tour, I was in the very back row of the theater in the balcony. It was like going to the best mass ever and the only concert I've seen in Detroit, or anywhere for that matter, where the audience were silent and respected the WHOLE experience. Hope it happens for you.

Grow Fins and PretzelLogic like this.
  20. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

The Mule Variations show I saw in Chicago may very well be the best show I've ever seen. I also saw him in`06 in Atlanta which was very good, but certainly not better than `99. Crossing my fingers for everyone's sake that he tours one more time.

Grow Fins and Turbo2k like this.
  21. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

I saw Tom Waits in '99 and '08, 2008 wasn't even in the same league

22. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

He's got Frito-Lay settlement money. :winkgrin:

23. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Apple Music has the remastered albums up with the one exception of Real Gone.

24. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Orphans was drawn from so many sources it's not impossible some improved tapes have been discovered in the meantime. Or at least that's what I'm hoping. Not to mention those vinyl only bonus tracks...

25. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

I'd rather have the Storytellers set issued than these records....and Big Time given its proper release....gosh we got JFK documents but can't get Big Time!?!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.