Tom Waits Reissuing Anti Records Albums (2017), incl. Orphans (2018) Plus Elektra Back Catalogue *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

On spotify now flipping back and forth between the remastered and non-remastered version and it really does sound quite different. Hoist that Rag is almost a completely different song (I much prefer the earlier version). Almost every song has certain sounds pulled to the front, such as Sins of the My Father that has this kind of chugging guitar accentuated and Waits' voice is much clearer. Shake It sounds like a dirty boot that's been polished and re-soled. Don't Go Into That Barn has a weird synth intro, doesn't open with the chorus and puts the "OH AHH" vocal ticks into the background.

Really making for a wonderful listen! What I'm coming away with is that I didn't give this album as close a listen as it deserved. It's great!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  2. baconbadge

baconbadge Chooglin’

Agree about "Hoist That Rag", the guitar is really the centerpiece of that song, and the new mix makes the tone a little less cool & puts those horns in the way.

inaptitude likes this.
  3. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I'm almost too scared to give the new "Hoist That Rag" a listen.

Shiver and baconbadge like this.
  4. Dan Burns

Dan Burns Well-Known Member

When it comes to Hoist That Rag, the horn part was kind of getting on my nerves interrupting the guitar flow until I changes the way I was listening, since the old structure of the song just seems to be different. I find the new version really redefines that guitar part of the song entirely- before it was a really long awesome Marc Ribot solo, but the remix of the song instead sort of segues into a horn\guitar duet where the trumpet plays off the guitar, and the guitar solo is relegated to that one really rippin' part where the horn drops out. I find myself preferring the old mix for its singular focus, and probably will continue to but perhaps the new structure will grow on me.

Aside from that I find myself veering more on the positive side with the remix but it's far too early to say for a record that I've been listening to on and off for over a decade now.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    inaptitude and baconbadge like this.
  5. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

So far, I'm really liking the remixed Sins of My Father and Metropolitan Glide. Hoist That Rag, well, errr... hmmm... o_O

baconbadge likes this.
  6. sailingsinkingships

sailingsinkingships Forum Resident

I have been listening between the albums on Apple Music trying to decide which lp to pick up. I think the new mix is much more listenable for the general public. The vocals in the new mix are more a focal point. In the original mix it seems that it is just a wall of dissonance with only occasional fragments coming forward. Unfortunately one of those moments that floated to the surface in the original mix is Ribot’s solo in Hoist That Flag. It now takes somewhat of a backseat.

Beyond this song though I tend to prefer the new mix as I can more clearly hear the lyrics. This is especially the case for Don’t Go Into That Barn. I would argue that the new mix is more listenable and demands reexamination for even a middling Waits fan. It does sort of change this album’s place in Wait’s canon as it was considered by some to be a challenging listen due to its production values, even by Wait’s standards. If only they could have left Hoist That Rag intact.

baconbadge likes this.
  7. baconbadge

baconbadge Chooglin’

"Top of the Hill" is almost like an avant garde modern hip hop song now. I'd put it up against anything that dopey Kanye has ever done. I could totally see Tom & Kathleen producing songs for some of the more adventurous rap guys today... at least throwing down a verse or two.

sailingsinkingships likes this.
  8. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

I will surely make a Mick's mix of remixes and original mixes. :D

9. sailingsinkingships

You can get the lp of The remastered Alice for 11.99 on Amazon right now. Lots of other good lp deals right now. Seems like a lot of Rhino titles are on the cheap.

10. frogfog

frogfog Zappaddict

Be warned: "the remastered Alice for 11.99" is the 2004 version not the 2017 version. ASIN is B000064628 while 2017 ASIN is B076GXYR1S.

11. sailingsinkingships

Thanks for that heads up. My mistake. It said remastered in the title. Still a great sounding record. I will now have a backup.

12. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Remastered "Alice" is now a 48:23 three sided double LP. Mr. Waits, we can forgive you for what you've done with Hoist That Rag IF you release three sided "Rain Dogs" and "Franks Wild Years".

13. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

After a couple of hundred listenings, I'm digging the new Hoist That Rag. It sounds like a 1930's jam session made by some drunk musicians in a boat leaving Cuba. The trumpet player is the most intoxicated of them all, so he thinks it's a good idea to play trumpet while Ribot is doing his solo, but it works. :p

DeeThomaz likes this.
  14. SoreFinger

SoreFinger Forum Resident

Ok, time for more info. I've now got Alice and Blood Money on vinyl to compare to the originals and have completed a side by side listening on both of their first sides... here's what I've found so far:

Blood Money is an improvement (even though I love the original). In general, the soundstage is more apparent, there's room for all the sounds/instruments which nicely emphasises the 'clip clop scrunch' qualities of the sound. Waits' voice sounds fantastic, right in your ear and nicely woody and analogue, great timbre. The only song which feels like they both have an equal amount of pluses and minuses is All the World is Green because the original has a stronger bass emphasis on the beat and the new version has more things coming forward which tickle the ears and create a wider soundstage.

I feel that Alice is great and clean sounding BUT in general it suffers where Blood Money excels: It has pulled the vocals a little further from the ears so feels less confessional and the late night, crying into your whiskey feel has been dimmed somewhat, it also feels a little more two dimensional with less weight to some of the tones and notes. It is however, very marginal and I'm happy to own it, but the original will be my go to copy. Whereas, the new Blood Money is right at the front of my pile from now on.

Right, I'm off to listen to each of their Side 2s and I'll post back later.

stefane, Centurion, frogfog and 4 others like this.
  15. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Could you please post runout info of the remastered vinyl?

16. SoreFinger

Of course:

Alice
    SIDE 1 20360 IA ePIT - 6632-3

SIDE 2 20360 IB ePIT - 6632-3

SIDE 3 20360 IC ePIT - 6632-3

Blood money
    SIDE 1 20361 IA ePIT - 6629-3

SIDE 2 20361 IB ePIT - 6629-3

mick_sh likes this.
  17. SoreFinger

I have now finished all the comparing of sides from Alice and Blood Money: Blood Money is spot on, I love it and I'm going to listen through again shortly without comparing so I can just sit back and enjoy it. Fans of the album will love it even more I believe because of all the reasons I said in my earlier post and then some. Alice fared a lot better on side 2 and I don't know whether it was because my ears started to really enjoy picking out all the details after really getting into Blood Money or if it was just the better side out of the two.

What I will say is I'm in no way disappointed with these versions, Blood Money kills it and Alice is a great companion piece. Both new vinyl are dead quiet, dead flat, and sonically perfect. Also, they are perfectly affordable. I suggest getting Blood Money and see what you think. If you like what you hear then these are worth it. Bad as Me is also improved in the same way as Blood Money if not as apparently.

stefane, Mateo Sanboval and mick_sh like this.
  18. baconbadge

baconbadge Chooglin’

Where did you order yours from? Directly from Tom's merch site?

19. SoreFinger

From Piccadilly Records in Manchester, England.

baconbadge and Jack like this.
  20. baconbadge

baconbadge Chooglin’

Wonder if there's any differences between the US & UK pressings... I would assume a different pressing plant.

21. sailingsinkingships

I am curious about these pressings. I have always cited Mule Variations as one of my favorite lp’s. Not sure how much improvement can be made on the already stellar pressing I have.

22. SoreFinger

Get Blood Money and you'll hear the difference there... we'll have to wait for Mule Variations but I'll be getting it because although my original pressing is indeed fantastic, there is an audible defect on the beginning of Take it With Me on the two copies I own. I'll report back on Mule when I have it. Did I mention you should buy Blood Money?

sailingsinkingships and mick_sh like this.
  23. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Not really sure if @SoreFinger likes Blood Money remaster, but I went ahead and ordered it also. ;)

frogfog and SoreFinger like this.
  24. SoreFinger

Sorry if I was a little ambiguous in my assessment :winkgrin:

mick_sh and frogfog like this.
  25. SoreFinger

After enjoying listening through Blood Money without comparison I started to sense what they've done with these remasters or what their intention was. I feel like they've lifted the compression and let the recordings breathe. What I assumed upon direct comparison with the two versions of Alice was that some tones and vocals had lost some of their weight and therefore some of their authority within the mix. However, after listening again in isolation straight through, I realised that they have been balanced within the bigger picture.

The original IS fantastic but the new mix is a revelation too as you get more involved with the entire world that he's created. Alice feels like an Absinthe revery and Blood Money stretches and creaks like an old wooden galleon; the sounds dance around each other in a really beautiful blend that keeps your ears pricked up throughout. I'm looking forward to the rest and may even pick up the controversial Real Gone remix. I figure that if he spent so much time on it it deserves a chance for £19.99 and if it reveals things in the same way the others have or at least show a different slant then I'm in. I'll just treat it as a companion piece rather than as a full replacement.

stefane and Centurion like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.