Tom Waits Reissuing Anti Records Albums (2017), incl. Orphans (2018) Plus Elektra Back Catalogue *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baconbadge

baconbadge Chooglin’

Yes, very curious why they chose to only remix Real Gone and what they think needs to be improved?? I've always loved that album (only have it on CD) and thought it sounded cool. It is a very "roomy" sounding record... I could see them bringing the drums a little more forward in the mix. I believe it's the first record that his son Casey played drums on.

2. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

A remix of "Real Gone" is highly welcome. I can't stand the original mix.

Lilainjil likes this.
  3. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

I have original vinyl releases of all of these albums and can't really see the need for remastered versions. Blood Money, Alice and especially Mule Variations sound outstanding as is!

Grow Fins and lucan_g like this.
  4. Wild Frank

Wild Frank Forum Resident

That is the stuff of dreams, beautiful dreams.

Tom has been very quite for a while now. Looking forward to these re-issues (Especially Orphans) but I hope he is building something new in there too.

5. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Milking the cow. If you have no new material and not touring, but need some money coming in, dive into some back catalogue remastering, or even some deluxe anniversary edition gubbins

seasonsinthesky likes this.
  6. Gammondorf

Gammondorf Forum Resident

While Alice is one of my favorite releases I don't really love the Anti years. There are wonderful moments and songs throughout but the albums as a whole aren't as consistently strong as the Island or Asylum stuff. That said, I'm always up for some new Tom.

7. Geoff

Geoff Senior Member

Alice is going to be 2LP now? Interesting.

Most curious about the Real Gone remix. I have all his ANTI albums already (inc Orphans), so I'll just wait to hear how these compare before thinking about buying any.

8. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

The info I got was that 'Real Gone's remix loses the piano.... a pretty radical move for a remix

9. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

Wow. I missed that Real Gone was being remixed. I thought just remastered. That's something else entirely.

10. Dayfold

Dayfold Forum Resident

I don't remember there being any piano on Real Gone. Will have to go and have a listen...

Turbo2k likes this.
  11. baconbadge

baconbadge Chooglin’

Seriously? Where did this info come from? Inquiring minds want to know!

12. baconbadge

baconbadge Chooglin’

Either way, looking forward to the "Tom Waits Real Gone 2017 Remix vs. Original" song by song thread!

13. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

I got it in an email advertising the whole set of Waits reissues from The Vinyl Store. Quote:

"Real Gone Double Vinyl - Remixed & remastered, Real Gone features 15 tracks of funk, Jamaican rock-steady, blues both urban and rural, rhythms and melodies both Latin and African and, for the first time, no piano"

krock2009 and baconbadge like this.
  14. ymenard

ymenard Forum Resident

I think that's written in an ironic way, there are no piano on Real Gone.

15. Turbo2k

Turbo2k Forum Resident

I think that comment is about Real Gone being the first Tom Waits album with no piano on it. Not just this remix.

16. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i got excited when i saw this e-mail until i realized they're just reissuing albums that for the most part are still available in the stores.

17. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Wait, did they ever finish reissuing his Asylum Records 70s era albums?

Aside from Alice getting the 2lp treatment I noticed Bad As Me is getting spread out to 2lps as well.

18. Turbo2k

Turbo2k Forum Resident

Where did you see Bad As Me as 2LP? It's listed as 1 LP on the official Tom Waits store. It would be great if they spread it out to 2LP and add the three bonus tracks from the deluxe CD version though.

vudicus likes this.
  19. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

No - the plan was still to do the remaining batch (probably on red, or more appropriately blue vinyl), even after the mastering debacle with the first four, but it never happened. I think now we're past the point of it even being done.

20. frogfog

frogfog Zappaddict

European official store indicates 1 LP, but American official store says 2 LP. (Maybe a typo?). But the picture clearly shows 2 LPs. Songs list is the same though. To be continued...

Turbo2k likes this.
  21. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

I only remember this vaguely; were any of the Asylum reissues worth having?

22. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

Can't comment on the black, but the first red pressings were panned to the point of being totally repressed and replaced. Alas I am not the most careful of listeners, but I'm mostly happy with the second pressings.

23. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

the "do-overs" sound excellent. totally different cuts and excellent pressings.

Hank likes this.
  24. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

[​IMG]

25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Wonder what Orphans will look like on CD? I have the Deluxe Edition (hardback book), and I wonder if that's what'll get put out. There is a standard digipac version, which is more common - but it lacked the lyrics, I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.