Tom Waits Reissuing Anti Records Albums (2017), incl. Orphans (2018) Plus Elektra Back Catalogue *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sailingsinkingships

sailingsinkingships Forum Resident

As a side note, if you look at the credits for Waits early albums (Closing Time, Small Change, etc.) in Apple Music, the rights are attributed to Anti-records with a date of 2017. Not sure if this means they are remastered or just that Anti now has the rights to the material. It could be that we see new editions of these albums soon.

This got my hopes up. I went to see if Raindogs had an updated copyright...still that ugly old miser island records.

2. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

Well, well, well. Very interesting.

3. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Of course not.

Dayfold likes this.
  4. frogfog

frogfog Zappaddict

You'll have to wait 50 years... so in 2038.

5. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

So, all these remasters are already available on streaming/digital sites, like iTunes - except for the remixed "Real Gone" and "Orphans?" Is that the case?

Does anyone know if you preorder the CD or Vinyl versions, do you get an immediate digital download file code (or whatever it's called)?

Waits is on my Mt. Rushmore of artist and I'll eventually have to get all of these but, man, replacing 7-8 albums (including triple album) is a pricey move.

6. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Why do you need to do that? Do we have any indication these CDs or vinyl are in any way an improvement? My original CD's and the vinyl I have all sound great.

7. findog3103

findog3103 Forum Resident

Sometime in the early 2000s or late 90s my fiancé and I drove to Boston from philly just to see him. After the concert we drove right home. 7 hours was nothing with the euphoria we were in.

Maurice and jumpinjulian like this.
  8. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

The array of images included in the original "earbook" version Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards is as entertaining as the music.
    Minutiae: That release will celebrate its eleventh anniversary on 21 November 2017.

LarsO and Grow Fins like this.
  9. Koabac

Koabac Self-Titled

Absolutely valid point. I might not need to do it, but a remixed "Real Gone" sounds too interesting to a Waits fanatic like me. I'll have to hear them first, but, sadly, when it comes to certain artists, I have a devil on both shoulders whispering into my ears telling me to "Buy it. Buuuuuyyyyyy iiiiiit."

I guess we'll see what the verdict is.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  10. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I’m secretly hoping there is no improvement. I don’t want to spend the money either!

Koabac likes this.
  11. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Pro tip: Next time, spring for a hotel and put that euphoria to good use!

findog3103 likes this.
  12. Lars1966

Lars1966 Forum Resident

Orphans... Is now available for download at highresaudio.com for £40.50, which is pretty high for me so I think I'll wait and see if any of the other places sell it cheaper

13. findog3103

findog3103 Forum Resident

Ha. “Drove right home - 7 hours” can mean many things.

14. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

It doesn't include the vinyl-only bonus tracks, either. Doesn't bode well that next year's CD reissue will either.

Lars1966 likes this.
  15. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

That is an utter joke price for a download. Boycott it, even for £20.

Looking at that site they are rip off merchants. I hope no one is paying them anything, ever.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    sound chaser likes this.
  16. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

"Orphans" is a 3-disc-set, so it's no surprise it's more expensive than the single albums. But I agree, it's a pretty high price. But I don't think it's Highresaudio's fault. The set is even more pricey on Qobuz and HDTracks won't be any different I guess. And I have downloaded quite a few files from Highresaudio, because they often have the lowest price. Not sure why you think they are "rip off merchants".

seasonsinthesky and Lars1966 like this.
  17. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

£18.90 for a single Bowie album?

sound chaser and Robert C like this.
  18. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I might yet go on a vast rant, but I think Orphans is Tom Waits' best album.

Koabac and ego1jr like this.
  19. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

At 24/192, yes. I agree it's silly, but not unusual. That's what hi-res albums go for, not only on that particular site.

20. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

And by all accounts, the mastering is terrible!

21. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

Toms merch site has Orphans 180 gram vinyl listed now for 2018 release :goodie:

22. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

I can't wait to hear the remix of Real Gone. It's one of my favorite Tom Waits albums and going up in my ranking with every listening.

23. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Has anybody heard these to comment on the remix and mastering?

24. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

They sound exactly the same to me - Bad As Me and the Glitter & Doom disc. Bummer! They still sound like they were recorded and mixed in a barn, but not in a good way like Mule Variations and Real Gone.

25. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Got them on vinyl? Any idea who's mastering and pressing these remasters?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.