Tom Waits Reissuing Anti Records Albums (2017), incl. Orphans (2018) Plus Elektra Back Catalogue *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

So, so far, for those of us wanting vinyl, BAD AS ME and BLOOD MONEY are essential.

I never got MULE VARIATIONS on vinyl, so that makes three.

2. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I have a prior Mule Variations pressing that sounds fantastic. I'm thinking I will pass on this one....

johnnypaddock likes this.
  3. Well, it strikes me I consider myself a Waits fan but I've only heard 'Mule Variations' out of the albums listed above. I guess I'm not as big a fan of his later stuff. I kind of lost interest after 'Mule Variations' and really only go mad for his stuff up until about 'Bone Machine'. But I am absolutely stoked about 'Orphans' getting a new vinyl release, and I can tell you I'll be buying it. I love that collection. Whoo Whoo, is what I say to this news :) and Whoo Whoo again!

mick_sh likes this.
  4. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

So I ordered the $11.98 BLOOD MONEY and ALICE from amazon, but i doubt these will be the new remastered ones. We'll see.

5. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

As I posted upthread, my $11.98 Blood Money was indeed the new remaster. Cross your fingers...

6. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

That would be so great!

sennj likes this.
  7. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

Yeah, it appears to be the remastered vinyl that I got from amazon. The only indicator, though, is the sticker on the plastic cover. The UPC is the same. Vinyl has "RE1" and "2017" etched in wax. My first copy came with the seam split. Second copy, too, though not as bad, so I'm thinking of just keeping it. Pressing isn't perfectly flat, either, though I guess it's passable. Vinyl is not dead quiet, but not too noisy. Sounds nice so far, for $11.98.

8. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

Changed my mind. Too noisy. Sending it back for a third copy. Fingers crossed.

9. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

+1. The original sounds fantastic and I was actually surprised by this re-release.

10. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Amazon UK isn’t listing the new Mule Variations but it does list the other reissues. Wondering if it’ll just be a crap shoot when ordering MV vinyl which version it’ll get

11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I would really prefer some new recordings or first time issues from an archive

12. sennj

Finally got around to playing my copy of Blood Money and found it to a pretty disappointing pressing as well. The first side was OK, but the second side was full of pops and clicks throughout.

Side note: I have no idea who pressed this (can't tell from the minimal info in the deadwax), but I remember Quality Record Pressings having their logo listed with these new Waits remasters on the Acoustic Sounds website when they were first listed there. The logo disappeared within days on the AS website, but they are listed as QRP pressings in the latest (winter) AS catalog. Not sure what's going on here, but whoever pressed this one needs some QC ASAP...

13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I say, stick with the CDs. No pops, no clicks and a lot more money remaining in your wallet to buy other music (on CD). Similar sound too.

Carserguev, Vaughan and sennj like this.
  14. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I have original LPs for Blood Money and Alice bought day of release, and the Chris Bellman Mule Variations. Do I need the new ones?

15. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Alice is the remastered version as well.

16. Not being sarcastic - but a record cleaning machine, even a relatively cheap one, should solve this problem.

17. sennj

No offense taken, but I have a record cleaning machine and use it each time I play a record, new or used. I also use an AudioQuest carbon fiber brush on my vinyl just before playing, as well as clean my stylus. I have yet, in 20 years of using my beloved Nitty Gritty, to see it "fix" a poorly pressed record.

I would agree that a record cleaning machine will clean the loose debris off the surface of the record that could cause additional noise, but curing an issue that was "baked" into the record from the pressing plant? You must have a more magical cleaner than I...

Anyway, we've dragged this thread off topic, so on with the Waits...

18. Yeah, if it's a bad pressing, and not just a load of static, I agree that a record cleaning machine won't solve the problem. I mentioned it 'cos I too have bought records with the same problems you've mentioned, and a couple of spins with my Okki Nokki has solved the problem. Anyhow, as you say, on with the Waits. I'm hoping Orphans isn't subject to any pressing issues when it sees the light of day.

sennj likes this.
  19. Arjan

Arjan Senior Member

Anybody heard the new Mule Varations pressing? On the fence to buy...

20. Wondering the same too. I saw this tour, loved it but passed on the record. The new one does appear to be a new remaster according to posted deadwax:

US 1999
    Barcode: 0 4577-86547-1 0
    Matrix / Runout (Side A): I-86547-A S-40262
    Matrix / Runout (Side B): I-86547-B S-40263
    Matrix / Runout (Side C): I-86547-C S-40264
    Matrix / Runout (Side D): I-86547-D S-40265

UK 1999: Chris bellman?
    Barcode: 8714092654714
    Matrix / Runout (Side A): 0840884201A1 [stamped] 6547-A CB [etched]
    Matrix / Runout (Side B): 0840884201B1 [stamped] 6547-B CB [etched]
    Matrix / Runout (Side C): 0840884201C1 [stamped] 6547-C CB [etched]
    Matrix / Runout (Side D): 0840884201D1 [stamped] 6547-D CB [etched]
    Rights Society: BIEM / STEMRA
    Label Code: LC 02576
    Other: 310 P

RSD US 2010: Bernie Grundman?
    Barcode (sticker on the back cover): 0 45778 70991 5
    Matrix / Runout (Side A runout, etched): 86547-1 A
    Matrix / Runout (Side B runout, etched): 86547-1 B
    Matrix / Runout (Side C runout, etched): 86547-1 C
    Matrix / Runout (Side D runout, etched): 86547-1 D
    Matrix / Runout (All sides runouts, stamped): TML-M
    Rights Society: ASCAP

2017: Peter Lyman?
    Barcode: 04577865471
    Matrix / Runout: 86547-1 2017 - A -R-
    Matrix / Runout: 86547-1 2017 - B -R-
    Matrix / Runout: 86547-1 2017 - C -R-
    Matrix / Runout: 86547-1 2017 - D -R-
    Rights Society: Biem/Stemra

21. Drotz1

Drotz1 Forum Resident

i mistakenly bought sealed version of Alice and Blood Money. Are the 2017 versions really better then originals?

22. SoreFinger

SoreFinger Forum Resident

Getting it for Christmas so I'll post a detailed analysis in a few days if you can wait? (I can't, haha)

mick_sh and Porkpie like this.
  23. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

With that logic, just stick with Spotify. Save a lot more money, portable and no ugly jewel cases laying around.

Vinyl is a different experience, if that is what one is looking for with Tom's catalog.

mick_sh and johnnypaddock like this.
  24. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I have the Chris Bellman version but it's a US pressing I got around 2012. TML would be The Mastering Lab and possibly the late Doug Sax. If the 2017 is Pete Lyman, he does great work but it won't be all analog like the previous 2 versions. It would make sense if all the new ones were cut from the highest resolution digital files available.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I assume most serious Tom Waits fans have most of his discs already. Most are available for just several dollars used, and sound far better than spotify

mick_sh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.