Tommy Dorsey and his Clambake Seven

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gary, Jul 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

A long time ago, I picked up Tommy Dorsey and his Clambake Seven / The Music Goes Round and Round on CD. On Angel, a great vinyl company. Love the music! It's so happy, toe tapping and what great musicianship!

My friends father told me it was a BIG, BIG hit (the song called "The Music Goes Round and Round") back in the late '30's! He used to listen to it on his crystal radio set.

But (finally) listening to it on the "high end" system revealed that the sound quality left something to be desired. Looking at the back of the CD, it actually says it was remastered and no-noised on the back of the CD. I was so excited in finding this, I just saw the Angel label and nothing else. What a dummy.... but I still ove the music!

Does anyone know of any good sounding Tommy Dorsey? With or without the Clambake Seven?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That's all Victor stuff. Good luck. Find an RCA LP transfer from the 1950's or better yet, the original 78's.

Gotta tell you though, the hit of "The Music Goes 'Round And 'Round" was by John Kirby & The Onyx Club Boys in 1936 on Vocalion (later Columbia). All other versions were "covers".

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff Thread Starter

Yeeech! That'll almost be impossible to find! :sigh: Well, I'll keep on the lookout. You never can tell!

Thanks for your insight, Steve!

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Salvation Army! Goodwill! Etc.!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.