"Tomorrowland" Is a Mess!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, May 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

The work he's involved in still manage to make tons of cash for the studios. It would take a few more Tomorrowlands (assuming it doesn't do well) to phase him.

sunspot42 likes this.
  2. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I am not familiar with the young actress that stars in this movie, but is it just me or does she seem to be doing her best Jennifer Lawrence impression in the trailers??

It's like they wanted the actual Jennifer Lawrence for the role, but she's now too old and successful for it, so they hired someone with a similar look and told her to just ape Lawrence's style.

3. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Britt Robertson has been around for awhile, doing mostly small parts and TV series. The only similarity I see with Lawrence is they are both pretty, blonde girls from the south (Lawrence from Kentucky, Robertson from North Carolina). Robertson had the lead in a couple short-lived TV series; Life Unexpected and The Secret Circle, she also had a recurring role on Under The Dome. She was in an indie film a couple years ago called "The First Time" and she was quite good in that. Earlier this year she was the female lead in that Nicholas Sparks movie The Longest Ride.

Wondering likes this.
  4. Daz

Daz Forum Resident

I have been burned by critics far, far more often than I have been burned by movies from a director whose work I admire.

And, it seems to me, critics too often want movies to be inline with their thoughts and visions, instead of the directors. My most reliable critic is one whose opinion is so far from mine I use his recommendations as movies to avoid, and vice versa. Works well.

Brad Bird has a break deal of credits in the bank. I'm super excited for this movie.

Also, I don't watch trailers for movies I'm interested in. Ever. So I'll be going in blind.

Lastly, a quick perusal of this thread shows a lot of implied criticism from posters who haven't actually seen the movie. It's getting judged on trailers and reviews. C'mon people - you can do better than that.

Prometheus, however, was crap. The Lone Ranger (by way of contrast) was fantastically fun, although I don't think it would stand up to repeat viewings.

5. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I just watched the trailer & it looks ok. Once again, not seeing what the big deal is.

6. Just ignore it and wait for The Incredibles 2.

Vidiot likes this.
  7. Actually the directors I used to dig have been on an streak of craptastic films to the point where I don't think it's a streak, but a new phase. I believe bad reviews when I see them. However I never read them until after I've seen a film, so it's moot.

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

It's sitting at 75% positive on the Tomatometer (albeit without most of the heavy hitters weighing in yet). Same score as "Age of Ultron".

9. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

I decided that I'll actually watch it first before I declare that it is either "haaaaaaaaaaaaaarible", "a mess" or fantastic.

Drifter likes this.
  10. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I had high hopes for this movie. I'll see it as I'm a Disneyphile, I might find enough redeeming elements of it to enjoy it.

OldSoul likes this.
  11. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Careful...you may start some kind of trend.

12. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

If they want to make a movie based on an attraction they should make one based on Splash Mountain. What a great movie that might be. Maybe they wouldn't call it Splash Mountain though. Maybe they could call it Song of the South. I probably won't get around to seeing it in the theater but I'll definitely rent it on DVD! :)

sunspot42, Huck Caton and forthlin like this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

More than one Hollywood wag has said, "it's clear that director Brad Bird immediately jumped back to animation with Incredibles 2 so he'd have another hit coming in a year or two."

14. I heard him throwing his hat in the ring for a Star Wars film. After these reviews his hopes may be dashed.

15. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Todd McCarthy from The Hollywood Reporter seems to have enjoyed it.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/tomorrowland/review/796132

I do not subscribe to the "supernatural film review circle" that exists on this board that decides movies suck before seeing them. I will continue to have an open mind about it until I actually see it.

jriems, sparkydog, keef00 and 4 others like this.
  16. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

They should do a new modern version of Song of the South and correct the issues with the original film. At least then they could offer the original as a bonus feature on the DVD.

ampmods likes this.
  17. Sully

Sully Forum Resident

Rotten Tomatoes currently has TOMORROWLAND at 75%. Same as the Avengers.

18. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Tomorrowland's score must've been updated right after your post - it's now at a horrendously low ;) 71%.

19. tcj

tcj Senior Member

I'm certain it's Scott. Watch the extensive making-of documentary included on the deluxe version and numerous people involved in the story mention how they'd settle on one piece of the story only to have Scott come charging in the next day having dreamed up something new overnight, and insistent that it be shoehorned in. It's all phrased in "gee ain't he genius" ways but read between the lines and it's pretty obvious that everyone handling anything significant below him gave up trying to create something reasoned and solid and simply went with his flights of fancy.

I won't be surprised if this is a bit of a mess. The trailers made it pretty clear that there are lots and lots of ideas going on, but I had absolutely no idea what the story was until I read a couple of reviews. Sometimes that's okay and fun, and I'm getting the feeling that this is going to be one of those films. We'll be taking the kids to see it, probably this weekend, so I'm not turned off by the reviews (which are more mixed than Vidiot's first post indicated.) I mean, it IS a film about a section of a theme park, not Shakespeare.

20. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

He was first in line for Episode 7 and turned it down to keep the momentum of Tomorrowland going. JJ was not the first choice. He's good buds with Kathleen Kennedy.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he returns to Star Wars down the road, although Incredibles 2 will be taking up much of his time going forward.

Vidiot likes this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Judging by how good Brad Bird did on one of the Mission:Impossible films, I think he could do a terrific job with one of the Star Wars sequels.

woody, PTgraphics and cwsiggy like this.
  22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Sounds like WaterWorld on a ferris wheel.

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

all it takes is one bad apple to spoil the bunch! LOL!

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed!

25. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

dude
    Michael has something he doesn't like
    is...is this the end of all things?

Bryan and progrocker71 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.